Pro Wrestling Only

Little Guido

Grimmas

Another guy who's stock went way up with me after watching the ECW FanCams. One of the more consistent guys you'll ever see, as he never really had a bad match. Not dissimilar from Spike Dudley in the sense that he could work a variety of different roles in ECW, though I don't think he got all the chances to show that. Still I really liked him as a comedy tag worker and as the junior/battlarts workrate guy in the second half of his run. I actually think night-to-night his series with Tajiri was better than the Tajiri v. Crazy series, in large part because it was more varied, with each match feeling really different from the last. He also often stole the show in their triple threat bouts with his insane bumping (really he's one of the most underrated bumpers of all time). He is hurt by the fact that he lacks that one out of this world memorable singles match, but I do want to watch some of his WWE b-show stuff to see if there is anyway I can justify cramming him into one of the last couple of slots

• 8 months later...

Not someone I would put in a top 100, but he was awesome. I just watched some of his UWFi stuff for the first time (had no idea he worked there) and he's very good as a guy who can credibly work that style while also clearly serving as hotheaded enhancement talent, frantically slapping opponents in the head to convey that he's in over his head. While none of them could be called great singles, having good matches with Sano, Sakuraba, and Kitahara can only help his case. I love the FBI and wouldn't have had it any other way, but he feels like a guy whose career and legacy would have benefited a lot from getting hired by mid-90s WCW. Could have been a very apt opponent for Eddy/Benoit/Malenko/Saturn/Jericho.

There are other times where he's presented as more of an equal in that run: beating Daijiro Matsui, even teaming with Takada. Billy Robinson trainee who was unbelievably fast on the mat and quick on his feet. Great jabs too. Really had the presence of an old-school boxer, such that it's all the more interesting than he was able to tweak what he was into a comedy persona.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've been a huge fan of Guido while going through ECW on TNN on the Network. Add in some fun Nunzio stuff, especially his TV match with Eddie, and he's a lock for the bottom 20 on my ballot. I think Dylan said it in the Dean Malenko thread, but Guido is someone that would've fit it perfectly in the WCW cruiserweight scene and I'm on the side that sees him as a better version of Malenko.

• 7 years later...

He's only 51 and still active so if anyone has recommendations from the last...20 years, I'd be thrilled to watch them. I think Guido was a great wrestler in ECW. I love him in tags & singles, as a heel or face, in workrate matches or in schtick heavy nonsense matches. I prefer his Tajiri matches to the Super Crazy/Tajiri matches. There's also a really great RVD match that's one of my favorite RVD matches. I don't think the ECW run is enough to get him on the list, but it makes him worthy of consideration and I'd love to take a look at his indy work post ECW. Feels like he could be a strong candidate hiding in plain sight.