Pro Wrestling Only

Doug Furnas

Grimmas

On 10/9/2014 at 10:02 PM, PeteF3 said:

What good Furnas singles matches exist out there?

He actually got a good match out of RVD in 96 in ECW. Well, I guess his power spot style meshed well with the bullshit cool stuff of RVD (which wasn't nearly as annoying then as it became with the years), like Taz did too. Then again, Kroffat probably got RVD's *best match ever in All Japan* the year before.

For the 100 greatest singles wrestlers it's not really excluding their tag work though. Guys/gals will be boosted because of their tag work. I can understand if you guys don't want to place him high on the 100 greatest workers list because he was primarily in tags, but while the tag list is only for a wrestlers tag work the singles list is all-encompassing of their whole career; singles and tags.

I don't disagree, but I think the bar for "tag only" guys should be really, really high. A list of the 100 greatest pitchers is going to have some relievers on it...but not many. (And I wouldn't put Mariano Rivera in the top 20, either). I think I'll make room on my list for Kroffat, and for Ricky Morton. But as much as I liked the Can-Ams I can't see including Furnas, who was not just limited to tags but seemingly limited to tags with Dan Kroffat specifically.

For the 100 greatest singles wrestlers it's not really excluding their tag work though. Guys/gals will be boosted because of their tag work. I can understand if you guys don't want to place him high on the 100 greatest workers list because he was primarily in tags, but while the tag list is only for a wrestlers tag work the singles list is all-encompassing of their whole career; singles and tags.

oh yeah I know, I'd count his tag stuff but I don't think it's enough to get into a top 100 for individuals.

• 7 years later...

I was really excited to watch the Can-Ams in 1989 and they have mostly been a letdown. Kroffat has been the bigger miss. Furnas is a guy I liked at first sight but hasn’t really gotten back to the level. Him & Bam Bam Bigelow were a harbinger of the power wrestlers doing gymnastics spots. Bigelow’s cartwheel during his introduction is one of the lamest things I have ever seen. Furnas routinely did a back handspring into a shoulder tackle spot that looks like it belongs in 2021. Drives me nuts. A big bugbear I have had recently is intentionally running away from your opponent in order to create space for you to run at them (see Omega, Kenny). That’s just one spot not the entire match in fairness. I am a sucker for stocky power guys throwing people around but the Steiners do that gimmick better, I am going to keep an open mind but he isn’t there yet. I will end with a positive note:

it is really hard to Military Press Slam a human. I don’t mean to pick on Bianca Belair but I am a huge Belair mark but on the surface Belair Military Pressing Sasha Banks should be easy but it was wicked hard and it was botched. That’s just the first example I could think of but there’s plenty of times big yoked up dude has trouble Military Pressing someone. Muthafuckin Doug Furnas Military Pressed stocky Toshiaki Kawada from a standing neutral position! INSANE! The trick is usual to press a dude that is in motion but he pressed Kawada straight off his feet! What a stud!