Pro Wrestling Only

Prince Devitt

Grimmas

• 1 month later...

some of NJPW's best matches over the last 2-3 years, I Love Devitt, he will be in my top 100

Do you want to create a list of his great matches? He is probably one of the more hyped wrestlers from the past couple years that has mystified me in regards to people's opinions of him. I just don't see it. Maybe I haven't seen the right stuff. Seems like your regular junior and even among just junior types in the past few years there is a solid chunk of people I have enjoyed more than Devitt.

Tough crowd, but obviously not a PWO friendly style so i'm not surprised. I'll throw some matches out there since Sam asked, and maybe some others need a direction too.

The MCMG vs Apollo 55 matches were probably the best tag team matches of 2009 off of the top of my head. I'd rec those strongly, although they may contain too much action for some around here. I don't know. If you need limb work or long control periods in your tag matches, don't bother. They're action junior tags worked at a deliberately fast pace, especially the closing stretches.

Three Tanahashi matches, all deliver:

3/3/13 - Right before the BC turn, this was a hot Korakuen Hall main event where Tanahashi went subtle heel, and Devitt showed some edge that was a hint of things to come. Great crowd, great match.

8/4/13 - G1. ****+

9/29/13 - Lumberjack Death Match. Probably the best lumberjack match I've ever seen (I hate that stip with a passion), with a white hot crowd. This was the peak of the BC before it got cringy & stale. Hot, hot match.

7/5/13 vs Gedo - IWGP Junior Heavyweight title match, and if Devitt wins, he earns a IWGP Heavyweight shot vs Gedo's charge, Okada. Devitt challenged Okada for the IWGP title, so Okada made this stip, to the shock of a reluctant Gedo, who eventually accepted. Another hot Korakuen main event for Devitt, who was money during this period headlining that building. This was one of my favorite matches of 2013, and Gedo was incredible here too. These guys had the fans in the palms of their hands, buying everything.

7/20 vs Kazuchika Okada - SPOILER ALERT, but this is the ensuing title match. ****1/4, ****1/2 range.

Tokyo Dome

1/4/14 vs Kota Ibushi

1/4/13 vs Ibushi & Low Ki

1/4/12 Apollo 55 vs No Remorse Corps

1/4/11 vs Ibushi

All quality matches, a couple fringe MOTY level

Too many high quality 10 minute BotSJ matches over the years to name. Plus singles matches vs Alex Shelley, Low Ki, Kanemoto, and many others. Devitt has a pretty solid resume of high quality stuff in both tags & singles, and peaked from about 2009 until the BC started to jump the shark towards the end of his run. I can't imagine I wouldn't have him somewhere on my list. There weren't many people better in the world from '09-'13.

• 2 weeks later...

some of NJPW's best matches over the last 2-3 years, I Love Devitt, he will be in my top 100

Do you want to create a list of his great matches? He is probably one of the more hyped wrestlers from the past couple years that has mystified me in regards to people's opinions of him. I just don't see it. Maybe I haven't seen the right stuff. Seems like your regular junior and even among just junior types in the past few years there is a solid chunk of people I have enjoyed more than Devitt.

I could work up some slowly, Ive seen probably a hundred matches but I dont rank them all, one I saw recently was vs

Kazuchika Okada on 7-20, I rated that match **** stars

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I feel like Balor might be the world's best wrestling robot.

It's so weird because the guy is so endlessly likeable...when he's nowhere near a wrestling ring. He's endlessly charismatic...when he's making his entrance. And then the bell rings and POOF - all his humanity is stripped away and we're left with the robot underneath. I just don't understand how it happens.

And this isn't just NXT, this is going back years. He's always kind of been mechanically going through the motions of being a pro wrestler in the ring, depending on his role. Years back he was Babyface Spotty Junior Robot, going through all of his impossibly pretty moves and flips. Then he turned heel and he became American-Style Heel In Puro Robot, going through his checklist of heel cheating spots - flip people off, interference, low blow, interference, grab a chair, interference, interference, interference... And now as Balor he's Small WWE Babyface Robot, selling a lot and hitting all of his signature spots in various ways. It's neat and tidy and ticks all of the right boxes theoretically, but it's ultimately hollow...because he's a robot underneath.

Like I said it's so weird, because I WANT to like him, and he has tremendous physical talent and a lot of good matches, but most of the time his matches just leave me strangely...cold.

It's a weird disconnect. He shows all this personality in these houseshow videos where he's dressing up as Bayley, or recreating the Dirty Dancing dance with her, but that guy never seems to be in the ring wrestling. I enjoy his matches, don't get me wrong, but I just don't LIKE him as much as I do outside the ring.

There are a lot of aspects of his work that I enjoy, but he does things in his matches that make me shake my head to the point where it takes away from the good stuff. I understand people love his NJPW stuff because it's dynamic, but a lot of it seemed a bit shallow to me. Like there wasn't a lot he did to draw me in. I could tell it was great work, I could tell it was crisp, I could tell it was well thought out in a lot of ways, but it didn't resonate with me. Won't make my list.

• 7 years later...