Current New Japan

pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Night 2 was arguably a deeper show but I think night 1 had higher highs. Agree that Elgin/Omega was match of the weekend. Omega/Ishii was a terrific final with some truly memorable moments and a great finish, but think it would've benefited from a little editing. Now Omega/Lethal? Jay Lethal is a guy who is very much just there for me almost every time out, but this may have been my match of the night. A very basic match with Omega viciously working Lethal's taped ribs. They focused on that throughout the match until it was too much for Lethal to overcome and far from overstayed their welcome. Just tremendous work from both.

Ishii/Sabre was similarly simple with ZSJ working the arm and Ishii selling it like a champ. Another fun, quick semifinal with the winner pulling double duty and not looking to go too long early.

The undercard tag matches were also much better on this night, with a strong IWGP Jr. Tag Title match between the Bucks and Roppongi Vice, LIJ against Juice and friends, as well as CHAOS vs. Bullet Club in a match that was good fun once it got passed the comedy.

Really strong show and weekend. Cannot wait for the G1!

Okada is wrestler of the year for being the first guy to drag something truly great out of Cody.

I must be missing something on why everyone seems to hate Cody so much. He's not like top 5 in the world, but people's reactions to him come off as "eww you got WWE in my New Japan". His heel work seemed to be finding its legs in ROH (until he got babyfaced by being put in the Bullet Club but that's a whole nother discussion).

Okada is wrestler of the year for being the first guy to drag something truly great out of Cody.

I must be missing something on why everyone seems to hate Cody so much. He's not like top 5 in the world, but people's reactions to him come off as "eww you got WWE in my New Japan". His heel work seemed to be finding its legs in ROH (until he got babyfaced by being put in the Bullet Club but that's a whole nother discussion).

I think Cody is the only guy out there right now who actually gets real heat. People legitimately hate him the way they did heels 30 years ago. Kudos to him.

Digging into Night 1 now and one thing jumped out immediately. I thought Jay Lethal put on a really strong performance in the match with Page. The selling of the ribs was sound but everything (bar his finisher) connected nicely and looked really crisp. As someone that hasn't seen Lethal for a while, I feel like I need to dig into more of his recent work. Does he have any more short, well-put together matches like that?

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Okada vs Omega III was easily the best of their trilogy. Way more focused and wasn't needlessly long.

Omega vs Naito was an outstanding spotfest with a red hot crowd, that always gets a thumbs up for me. It was a little too long though, didn't care for what they did in the first third of the match.

All in all, Naito winning and facing Okada at the Dome is the best decision Gedo has done in a long time - product wise, as much as I've found New Japan boring for the most part the last couple of years, it's been an undeniable success - and we'll probably get Omega vs Ibushi underneath. Really interested in how many people they can draw with those main events.

• 3 weeks later...

For those with NJ World on Fire TV Stick -- is there a quick and handy way to find/navigate to older shows? Let's say I wanted to watch Wrestle Kingdom 10, G1 Climax Night 6 from 2013 or KOPW from 2012. How do I get there without copious scrolling? The search function works to an extent, but seems to bring up very incomplete results.

• 1 month later...

So Omega's opponent for Wrestle Kingdom 12 has been revealed. Spoiler here: It's Chris Jericho

Hahahahaha geriatric Jericho really? I guess it is being done to try and get some more western fans in. Tanas opponent is not that interesting either the jr title match does not have any apeall to me and I really dislike okada and naito when not Wrestling tana, so this show does not look very good.

At least last year you had kushida Vs hiromu, tana Vs naito and shibata Vs goto which were all good to great. This year nothing on the card looks better than good at best. I suppose the naito match will have a lot of heat but I really don't care about either man.

Writing spoilers on mobile is really difficult.