Current New Japan

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#381 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Okada is wrestler of the year for being the first guy to drag something truly great out of Cody.

I must be missing something on why everyone seems to hate Cody so much. He's not like top 5 in the world, but people's reactions to him come off as "eww you got WWE in my New Japan".  His heel work seemed to be finding its legs in ROH (until he got babyfaced by being put in the Bullet Club but that's a whole nother discussion). 

I think Cody is the only guy out there right now who actually gets real heat. People legitimately hate him the way they did heels 30 years ago. Kudos to him.

#382 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

My god that was a dogshit awful show. 

#383 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4705 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

He just hasn't done much beyond okay as a worker. This is the first thing from his indy run that was something you can hold up as being really great. Okada is the first guy to finally get something good out of him and deserves recognition for it.

#384 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2735 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

I had the match at ***. I didn't feel like I'd just seen something special when it was over. I liked Cody over the years in WWE but he didn't feel like a major star in this setting and I wasn't particularly impressed with his work

#385 Stiva

Stiva
  • Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:29 AM

Digging into Night 1 now and one thing jumped out immediately. I thought Jay Lethal put on a really strong performance in the match with Page. The selling of the ribs was sound but everything (bar his finisher) connected nicely and looked really crisp. As someone that hasn't seen Lethal for a while, I feel like I need to dig into more of his recent work. Does he have any more short, well-put together matches like that?

#386 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5078 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

Anyone else having trouble viewing the videos from Rev Pro's British J Cup on NJ World?

#387 JNLister

JNLister
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:29 AM

They are region locked. Definitely not available in the UK. Don't know if it's blocked in UK only or blocked everywhere but Japan (as happens with CMLL.)

#388 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5078 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Yep, confirmed that's only available in Japan.

#389 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1035 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

So any thoughts on the main events the last two nights? I'm not a big modern NJPW main event style guy but I thought they were fantastic, just great stuff. So maybe the bigger NJPW fans here will think they weren't as good, who knows. :)

#390 Codysseus

Codysseus
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

I thought both were great. Okada's as good as pro-wrasslers get in 2017.

#391 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

I thought Okada vs Omega III was easily the best of their trilogy. Way more focused and wasn't needlessly long.

Omega vs Naito was an outstanding spotfest with a red hot crowd, that always gets a thumbs up for me. It was a little too long though, didn't care for what they did in the first third of the match.

All in all, Naito winning and facing Okada at the Dome is the best decision Gedo has done in a long time - product wise, as much as I've found New Japan boring for the most part the last couple of years, it's been an undeniable success - and we'll probably get Omega vs Ibushi underneath. Really interested in how many people they can draw with those main events.

#392 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7728 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

I thought Okada vs Omega III was easily the best of their trilogy. Way more focused and wasn't needlessly long.

So 7 stars or 6 and 1/2?

#393 Dewar

Dewar
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

So 7 stars or 6 and 1/2?

Not in the dome, loses a star.

#394 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:27 PM

So 7 stars or 6 and 1/2?

Clearly 6 and 3/4, leave people wanting that 7 stars for another occasion.

#395 Boondocks Kernoodle

Boondocks Kernoodle
  • Members
  • 1019 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

I saw Dave's back-to-back 6-star and 5.75-star reviews for Omega's G1 matches with Okada and Naito, and while I enjoyed both matches, it occurred to me while reading it that in two years, Kenny is going to go into the Observer HOF hailed as "arguably the best big match worker in history," and I'm gonna puke.

#396 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

5.75 is even more funny to me than 6.25 for some reason :lol: I really hope this recent trend and backlash end up with people finally realizing that star ratings don't matter.

#397 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

I hope all this leads to Naito getting a win over Okada at WK12.

Also Juice better be getting a proper title victory soon, as he might've been a low-key candidate for G1 MVP.

#398 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5078 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

For those with NJ World on Fire TV Stick -- is there a quick and handy way to find/navigate to older shows?  Let's say I wanted to watch Wrestle Kingdom 10, G1 Climax Night 6 from 2013 or KOPW from 2012.  How do I get there without copious scrolling?  The search function works to an extent, but seems to bring up very incomplete results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users