pol

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two things:

1) Jay White really sucks. He might get better. But right now he really sucks. No presence, no charisma, lame moves. But it feels like the hardcore audience is starting to get behind him, and NJPW is into him, so I wonder if we'll see the hardcore opinion shift and he'll turn into an 'underrated favourite'. Look for it.

2) NJPW needs to do some shorter main events or NEVER matches. Run a 10-minute Goto vs whoever bombfest or something, or Okada beats the NJ Cup winner with an early rainmaker. The crowd was dead for the early pacing of Okada vs Sanada, and it feels to me like they are nearing that cliff. Insane NJPW main events are still fun to me, but they need to have some earlier finishes or some of these crazy moves end a match to make the crowd buy into it.

Two things:

1) Jay White really sucks. He might get better. But right now he really sucks. No presence, no charisma, lame moves. But it feels like the hardcore audience is starting to get behind him, and NJPW is into him, so I wonder if we'll see the hardcore opinion shift and he'll turn into an 'underrated favourite'. Look for it.

2) NJPW needs to do some shorter main events or NEVER matches. Run a 10-minute Goto vs whoever bombfest or something, or Okada beats the NJ Cup winner with an early rainmaker. The crowd was dead for the early pacing of Okada vs Sanada, and it feels to me like they are nearing that cliff. Insane NJPW main events are still fun to me, but they need to have some earlier finishes or some of these crazy moves end a match to make the crowd buy into it.

Whole heartedly disagree on the first point, but agree to a certain extent on the second. Not so much on the crowd being dead for the early part of matches, but I do agree that expectation that the match isn't going to end before 20 minutes in does take some of the excitement out of early matches. Of course, Okada 'outlasting' opponents has kind of been the theme of his run, so it plays in to an extent, but still.

Connected with that, main events need to finish with something other than finishers every once in a while. It doesn't hurt my enjoyment the way things are currently structured, but I think a few surprises are always a good thing.

Watching night one of Honor Rising and the Golden Lovers storyline is the best thing in wrestling by a large margin. To be fair, Cody's a big part of that being the shit stirrer of the Bullet Club and basically the cataylist for everything that happened, but everyone's been great in their roles. Even the Haku kids are great as the side not wanting to get involved in all this mess.

I know modern New Japan isn't fine dining for everyone. The Honor Rising shows were generally weak by New Japan standards. But the main events with the Golden Lovers reuniting were absolutely tremendous and well worth checking out if you're able to do so. Babyface, smiling, hand slapping Kenny Omega is a sight to behold and I'd like to think any fan of pro wrestling would enjoy these last 2 main events, regardless of how you'd rate the matches. No 15 minute promos or authority figures required (although the extended video with Kenny & Kota in the gym on NJ World was a great bit of television) in order to get into this story or the current / future matches. Tremendous storytelling and television programming. Check it out.

That's why I wanted them facing each other at the Dome, not only is a pretty damn big match for the Japanese audience but it would've put a bow on their promise from years ago of having a match in that scenario, and was a perfect set up for Cody to fuck things up and set up an eventual reunion.

The Jericho mini feud and match with Kenny was very good, much better than I anticipated, but I was shocked at how many people were dismissing a potential Golden Lovers clash and how great it could've been storyline wise.

Now, I hope this reunion leads to an eventual matchup at WK next year. Even if it's a "friendly" type of match, they need to fulfill their promise dammit.

I watched the anniversary show today and thought it was very solid but perhaps sub-par for a New Japan big show. Taichi & Makabe absolutely exceeded expectations (or Naito & Suzuki really did), and Okada reigned in Ospreay more than I expected. Sanada/Yoshi-Hashi was a major disappointment. The Jr. Tag Title match was fine but nothing special. In a vacuum its probably a good show but they've set the bar high enough that I wanted a bit more.

Thought the Anniversary Show was a very solid top-to-bottom card. Okada/Ospreay and Suzuki/Makabe were definitely the best matches. Makabe was sloppy as hell and had some miscues but Suzuki really turned in a tremendous performance to make it look like an actual, chaotic fight. Ospreay-Okada took a bit too long to get going (especially considering neither guy are great matworkers) but really took off after the first five minutes. Thought Taichi delivered in a big way even if I don't think he'll ever be "really good". SANADA/YOSHI-HASHI was really slow in the first half (and I'm really disappointed they blew a spot for a Skull End count-out attempt) but thought the second half was really good.