Pro Wrestling Only

Current New Japan

pol

9 hours ago, benjaminkicks said:

It's interesting seeing the variance in opinions on Elgin throughout the online wrestling community. Most people here are clearly not fans, then you have the guys on the Purocast calling him one of the top 5 performers in the tournament so far. I'm somewhere in the middle, though I do lean towards generally liking his ring work. I've really enjoyed his matches vs. EVIL, Page, White, and Okada in this tournament. Crazy to think it's his 4th G1 in a row.

As for the tournament as a whole, I think it's been absolutely awesome. It helps that New Japan is easily my favorite current promotion and I'm super invested in the storylines and characters, but I honestly think these G1s get better ever year. So many great matches already, and I'm not even fully caught up. The final three nights in Budokan are gonna be nuts.

I love the booking of this years tournament. The last few years (with the exception of maybe Omega in 2016) the winners have been pretty predictable. But now we still have 3 guys in each block still in contention (Tanahashi, Okada, and Jay White for A block, Ibushi, Naito, and Omega for B block), and I really have no idea who making it to the finals. Any combination of those 6 guys seem plausible to me, except for maybe Okada/Naito, which I don't think they'll give away for a show that's already sold-out. 

The possibilities of the A block really intrigue me. If EVIL spoils Jay White, you have the really great story of Okada needing to beat Tanahashi in less than 30 minutes to advance, something he hasn't done since their first title match way back at New Beginning 2012. Or you have White beat EVIL, and Okada has no chance to advance but beating Tanahashi means White advances.

Okada is my favorite wrestler, so I'm always rooting for him to win, but I think it would be pretty awesome seeing Jay White in the finals against any of those three B block guys. Jay has huge heat as a heel to the Japanese crowds, and putting him vs. Ibushi, Naito, or Omega means the crowd will be completely against him. That match would have some mega heat in front of the sold-out Budokan crowd, with everyone booing the shit out of Switchblade and cheering whoever he faces.

The other match I don't think they are doing is Okada-Omega. You don't give that away with a day's notice. 

But my pick from the start has been Okada-Ibushi. It's a fresh match and either guy seems like a plausible main eventer for Wrestle Kingdom.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The crazy idea that makes the basis for the G1 so great is that wins and losses do matter. I know, crazy concept. But that's it basically. Then you get all these intricate stories depending on the worker, which makes the win/loss matter even after they are eliminated from the run at the win (not giving any exemple to not spoil anything). And of course, you get some of the greatest workers ever having great matches almost on a nightly basis, which is the cherry on the cake. But the basis of all this is : wins and losses matter. That's your basic story. And it builds from there. Pro-wrestling really isn't that hard to do. It's a wonder why some just can't seem to do it right...

That's right. It's the only time of year when following wrestling really feels like following a sport at playoff time. 

I'm also rooting for an Ibushi-Okada final at this point. Seems the freshest and sets up the most interesting possibilities. I appreciate Jay White's commitment to his heel persona, but I don't think he's ready to nail a G1 final. Omega doesn't need to be in it, and it seems Naito is headed down a different path, possibly toward a Jericho rematch. 

Okada has been the worst performer of the top guys in the tournament, but he's the No. 1 guy, and it would make sense for him to advance. 

I've been seeing Okada vs. Ibushi in the final pretty much from he beginning.

But, the way it is now, I could actually see Tanahashi winning A Block. White winning against Evil and Okada losing against Tana would be the perfect jump start (kind of, they teased a bit already) to a Okada vs. White feud, which clearly is something they are playing with. On the other hand, if white loses, I'll have to go with Okada and his clear redemption story.

Ibushi in B Block is a lock in my eyes. Omega winning his block just doesn't sit well with me for some reason, and with Nayto... I just don't think he'll win it 2 years in a row. 

But anyway, this G1 has been my real entry into NJPW and it's amazing from top to bottom. some of these matches are insane, with Omega vs. ishii being the latest example. Such a blast, although time consuming. I've been skipping the tag matches though, it's just not managable between work and family.

I see Ibushi winning too (not my favourite, but Naito ain't winning again and I don't see Omega going to the final three years in a row).

The A Block is trickier. Way trickier (which makes up for being not as great along the ride). All three scenario work actually. I see Ibushi winning against Tana or White, but losing against Okada.

So after last night's results, it seems that Ibushi's chance of making it to the finals have been significantly lowered.

Much like Okada in the A block depending on the result to the White/EVIL match for his chance to advance, Ibushi needs Zack to beat Naito, otherwise he'll be eliminated from finals contention before his match with Omega starts.

I really thought they'd keep it so Naito needed Ibushi/Omega to draw in order to advance. Makes me think Naito might just be winning the whole thing for the 2nd year in a row, an outcome I was almost positive wasn't happening just yesterday. But the story would make sense: Naito wins G1 again and beats Omega in the WK main event,  holds the title for a year, then faces next year's G1 winner Okada at WK 14 in 2020, when the show is on the weekend in hopes of potentially selling out the Dome (maybe with Ibushi/Omega in the semi-main spot).

I feel like there's still a chance ZSJ spoils it for Naito. I was surprised they went with Ibushi and Omega losing, but I guess it provided the twin benefits of furthering the Tongan storyline and maximizing the intrigue for Saturday.

I found it annoying that the commentators kept saying Naito would need an Ibushi-Omega draw, even after they read the point  totals. 

That G1 is the most compelling piece of booking I've seen in eons. Not to mention the wild matches. Who are you to doubt Gedo ? (hataz gonna hate, of course, but at this point, there's an underlying anti-Japanese sentiment that echoes through the Meltz bashing)

The Budokan trifecta will probably be one insane week-end.

I don't mind the old dog getting his run. I much prefer Tanahashi to Okada anyway. But I was bored with their match until the last few  minutes. I've never liked Tana-Okada as much as some of the other top NJPW rivalries, because neither is a particularly good offensive wrestler. So the filler before the big counter-fu finish always feels like just that. I did like Tana's counters to the Rainmaker, especially that sneaky little left hand, and his defiance in going for the  win rather than stalling out the clock.

Not sure which finals match-up I'm rooting for. Naito-Tana feels fairly played out after last year. We've also seen Ibushi get a big win over Tana. I might actually dig Tana beating Omega to set up a rematch for the title in the Dome. 

But good on Gedo for keeping the booking unpredictable.  

These last two shows are the most compelling booking Gedo has done in like 4 years. I'm so glad we are not getting the Tana/Okada storyline for Naito, though I'm still not sure what the hell is in store for him, I'm interesting in seeing it play out though and that's something I never thought I'd say up until 5 days ago.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

That G1 is the most compelling piece of booking I've seen in eons. Not to mention the wild matches. Who are you to doubt Gedo ? (hataz gonna hate, of course, but at this point, there's an underlying anti-Japanese sentiment that echoes through the Meltz bashing)

Get the fuck out of here with this :lol:

2 hours ago, Childs said:

I don't mind the old dog getting his run. I much prefer Tanahashi to Okada anyway. But I was bored with their match until the last few  minutes. I've never liked Tana-Okada as much as some of the other top NJPW rivalries, because neither is a particularly good offensive wrestler. So the filler before the big counter-fu finish always feels like just that. I did like Tana's counters to the Rainmaker, especially that sneaky little left hand, and his defiance in going for the  win rather than stalling out the clock.

Not sure which finals match-up I'm rooting for. Naito-Tana feels fairly played out after last year. We've also seen Ibushi get a big win over Tana. I might actually dig Tana beating Omega to set up a rematch for the title in the Dome. 

But good on Gedo for keeping the booking unpredictable.  

I'm also fairly low on Tana-Okada. This one felt real slow until the finishing stretch, although the drama kept things pretty engaging. Loved the palm strike counter to the Rainmaker.

Tanahashi going through makes me feel like Naito is definitely the least likely option. Tanahashi-Omega would be relatively fresh and feels more likely than Ibushi-Tanahashi for some reason. 

I also wonder if they're setting up Tanahashi getting the title shot but losing it to Okada (who gets a shot at it because of the draw) in the fall.

Seriously if that doesn't sounds like Meltzer propaganda I don't know that is.     New Japan is a great product and anybody that thinks it isn't good is a moron.   But are you telling me that:

1.  Not liking that 80% of the big matches go more than 30 minutes

2.  Not saying that every New Japan star (except Yano who is awesome) is better than any other wrestler especially the ones in the WWE

3.  Not saying that a great match on another promotion would only be the 6th best match on a New Japan show

4.  Not saying that the WWE is going to get destroyed because Ring of Honor and New Japan are running big show ON WRESTLEMANIA WEEKEND

makes me hate Japanese people then call me the Laura Ingram of professional wrestling I guess  :rolleyes:.    I would love to watch more of the product but in order to do that I would have to either quit my job, cut about 3 or 4 hours of sleep every day or completely stop watching most other wrestling    Right now the product is designed for a 6 disc best of the year comp

Overall thoughts on the tournament.

B Block largely killed outside of all the Firing Squad Bullshit, but to NJPW's credit the angle actually seems to be pretty over with the fans. Still sucks though. A Block was basically a BOSJ block with only 3-4 "must-see" matches and everything else ranging from solid to entirely skippable. I will give props to Okada for getting good matches out of the most sub-par of opponents and I think they started to pick things up around the end of the tournament. 

Tanahashi winning the whole tournament is disappointing but I sort of understand what they're going for. It's a match they haven't done in a few years and Tanahashi still has that level of credibility that never goes away, similar to Cena. But like Cena, it's a tired option when you have guys like Ibushi and Naito (the latter who was largely responsible for the surge in attendance for WK 12). It also goes against the whole "Ace" story they've been telling with Tanahashi in that he's never come to terms with the fact that he's not the top guy anymore and deludes himself. That's a really good character right there that's kinda been rendered moot now that he dominated the A block and won the tournament.

And speaking of Naito, I don't know how much longer they can hold off on him winning the big one without him cooling permanently. Business is still really good and he's still arguably the most popular act, but if the plan really is for him to beat Okada WK 14 then that's still a bit of a big gamble considering he was at his hottest last year.