Pro Wrestling Only

Shiro Koshinaka

Grimmas

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Jetlag mentioned this way back in 2015, "Ive heard bad things about him." I've heard whispers of this too. Presumably on the heels of the NJPW 80s set? I've never seen a full takedown of Koshinaka and I don't really want to. I'm way more interested random recommendations for him. I wouldn't go as far as @El-P did in the last go round with his Japanese Arn Anderson line. But I get where hes going with that. Super fun midcarder. You could put together an interesting comp that shows him in a variety of settings. The Satanico match, the Aoyagi match, the Tenryu match, other WAR tag matches, the 96 G1 Climax run was super fun. I know the Takada matches are super polarizing but I dug the broken fingers match last time I watched it. Finished 77th in 2006 which is bonkers high and fell to 286 in 2016. Realistically he is probably closer to 286 than 77th, but Ive always liked him and I would recommend his best stuff to people. 

I've come around a bit on Koshinaka over the years. Honestly, my memory of the Takada series is probably skewed at this point and I likely didn't hate it as much as I've let myself think, but either way I didn't really enjoy him at all on the 80s set. He's reliably fun in the NJ/WAR feud, though (then again "reliably fun" was the floor for just about everybody in that feud). The Heisei Ishingun run in the 90s is regularly pretty great and some of the hottest midcard stuff you'll see, especially the feud with Aoyagi and Saito in the early 90s. The 5/90 New Japan multi-man is amazing and he's maybe the second best guy in it behind Kurisu. Agreed with elliot on the '96 G1 run. The team with Tenryu was fun and as he got older he leaned nicely into the cantankerousness. Plus he has the awesome Satanico hair match. 

I'd never vote for him, but I certainly don't dread watching him at this point. 

• 1 year later...

He can be quite good and his undercard WAR association material is super high-end, but at the same time this guy just stinks cards out sometimes. I swear, almost every AJPW match I seen of this guy sucked. Johnny Smith and him stunk the joint out with a uber boring mat-work oriented match, him and Kawada can't get a good grove on for their showing and it feels really awkward, it's just a messy affair. That soured me on him a fair bit as I'd much rather put on someone who was consistently entertaining (Don Arakawa, for instance, never had a truly five-star match but he was always on the ball in everything I seen of him) than someone who could be very hit/miss.