Pro Wrestling Only

Crowd Chants

goodhelmet

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how that list should be any way surprising. I doubt most 50+ aged people are reading ign.com.

I still am a bit bothered with the Bruno is a folk hero iron clad argument being tossed around like he just rolled out of his house one day and obtained legendary status with legions of people.

Marketing with WWF may have increased over the years with its expansion but the reality is that Bruno hasn't had a wrestling match on their programming in 28 years. There is a shit load of 35 year old and younger wrestling fans that don't really no the guy beyond, "big star of the past" and have no desire to seek it out. The definitiveness that everyone believes him to be a folk hero as genuine and everyone buying into Michaels as GOAT is pure jibberish manufactured by WWE is choosing sides.

What if NBA fans started to rebel against every NBA game that didn't have a three point shot or a slam dunk in every play? What if NFL fans booed every play that wasn't a Hail Mary to the end zone? Case in point, I don't see how it's tolerable that the fans are the ones dictating how a match should look/work. As far as guys getting over in front of certain crowds, I agree that sometimes you can't completely tone out the crowd and not play to them in some form or fashion, but does that mean that Timothy Thatcher is supposed to trade in his excellent technique for unrealistic, choreographed looking highspots? Is Drew Gulak supposed to drop selling in the closing stretch of his matches to get a non-organic reaction while totally disregarding the work done the entire match? I'm just sick of the idea that the fans should be the one dictating how a match should be worked. On the flip side, I think this lies on the workers to a degree as well. How many guys in the world today can draw ORGANIC emotion from the crowd based on the story of a match? Not many, which is why PWG fans (for lack of a better stereotype/example) are so used to spotty, 'OOHHH AHHH' matches as opposed to getting behind the face in peril, or getting frustrated when their guy can't put his opponent away. Chris Hero said it best in his seminar video, it's becoming World Star Hip Hop wrestling. You're walking down the street and you see a fight break out. What will most people do nowadays? Probably pull out their phone, record it, tell their friends "yo I saw a fight lol" and put it up on World Star. Why? Because you have zero emotional attachment to the people involved. Now, what if someone walked up to your mom and punched her in the face. You would feel angry, right? You'd feel emotional, because you have a relationship with that person. There's very few guys out there that are making the effort to get the crowd emotionally behind them as opposed to trying to be the guy that the crowd says "oh yeah, his match is next! This should be fun!" only to forget about it the day after, and rinse wash repeat for every show.