Pro Wrestling Only

The Minis Thread

Grimmas

I like minis wrestling, I really do. I haven't seen a lot of it, but from what I've seen I've always enjoyed.

In this thread I am going to watch as much as minis as possible.

Mascarita Dorada vs Pierrothito (2/3 Falls, New Rochelle, NY, 2010/3/20)

I didn't know what to expect with this being in an American Indie Fed, but I was really happy with the result. The first fall is Dorada going after the arm and doing some mat work, a real fun beginning to this one. Pierrothito takes over with his weight and does some power moves to get the first fall. Something great about Dorada is his size. Since he's so small, each slam and throw looks even more vicious.

The second fall is all Pierrothito as he throws Dorada around and puts up some submissions. PIerrothito isn't too great here, as he'll slap on a hold and release it in no time then slap on another. He does do this weird Hold Dorada above his head on the floor and walk around spot, until he just tosses him in the ring. Dorada does some good selling though. Dorada's come back was great as well. He might be one of the best high spot wrestlers around. He locks in this really cool arm and head submission to take the second fall.

The third fall is all excitement. Great slams by Pierrothito. Great high spots by Dorada. Eventually Dorada traps him in a pinning hold for the win.

This one ranges from 3 to 3.5 stars. It reminded me a lot of those touring Rey-Psicsosis matches.

Due to pre-match stips the evil manager of Pierrothito gets his head shaved and luckily Dorada does not have to wear a dress.

Mascarita Dorada vs. Pequeño Damián 666 (Lightning Match, CMLL, 2009/12/04)

This one was fun as heck. Just the speed and innovations of Dorada are outstanding. There was some neat back and forth stuff to start. What I like about these, and to my pleasant surprise, is that these are just awesome wrestling matches with structure and build and not just spot fests. This isn't Dragon Gate, there is an actual sense of competition here.

One of my favourite new spots is Dorada stomping on his opponent as he runs over him and then he does a springboard move.

Lightning matches are not always my favourite, because they are so short and worked as a sprint, but this was real fun. Speaking of fun, there is no spot more fun than Dorada gaining more and more speed as he circles around his opponents neck and shoulders. He uses that to put Damian into a cradle for the win.

Another fun match worth checking out. It only goes about 8 minutes, but is a real treat. About 2.5 to 3 stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt66lzOxRQo

Everybody talks about the greatness of Portland wrestling, but what happens when they bring in the "Battling Midgets"? Yes, that is how Don Owen announces this match.

So this one is Tokyo Joe (I think, Little Tokyo) vs. LIttle Mr. T (Haiti Kid).

Outside of Tokyo's chops and T's airplane spin that makes Tokyo dizzy which means he fails at doing an airplane spin, this match wasn't great. They did this horrible sequence with the referee that reminded me how bad comedy could be.

First, the referee picks up Tokyo and places him in the corner. Later on, T does a giant swing which makes Tokyo dizzy (yes, a second dizzy spot) then T does an airplane spin to the referee which allows Tokyo to pin the referee and T to count along. Yuck.

The whole thing finishes with a T bombs away splash from the top.

I wouldn't recommend this one, unless you want to see some decent chops by Tokyo, along with him being dizzy and then acting happy that he won a match (even if he didn't). Tokyo was the star here.

Mascarita Dorada vs. Pequeño Damián 666 (Lightning Match, CMLL, 2009/12/04)

This one was fun as heck. Just the speed and innovations of Dorada are outstanding. There was some neat back and forth stuff to start. What I like about these, and to my pleasant surprise, is that these are just awesome wrestling matches with structure and build and not just spot fests. This isn't Dragon Gate, there is an actual sense of competition here.

One of my favourite new spots is Dorada stomping on his opponent as he runs over him and then he does a springboard move.

Lightning matches are not always my favourite, because they are so short and worked as a sprint, but this was real fun. Speaking of fun, there is no spot more fun than Dorada gaining more and more speed as he circles around his opponents neck and shoulders. He uses that to put Damian into a cradle for the win.

Another fun match worth checking out. It only goes about 8 minutes, but is a real treat. About 2.5 to 3 stars.

Bloody hell, that was fun indeed. Dorada's amazing. I like that he works this match like Rey against a big dude, getting all his cool spots in but being careful not to get caught. At one or two points he does get caught, and it leads to something nasty like a backbreaker. So there's a sense of drama going on while he's doing his flashy move sets.

And yes, that little stomping spot popped me as well. Greatness.

Mascarita Divina & Mascarita Sagrada & Mini Charly Manson vs Mini Monster Clown & Mini Murder Clown & Mini Psycho Clown (AAA, 2011.09.11)

I was apprehensive about watching this one due to it's short duration, but I wanted to see a Mascarita Sagrada match and this one came up. Plus, killer clowns.

This was like if you took a Michinoku Pro six man, shrunk the match down to 6 minutes and the wrestlers down to mini size. It was a lot of fun, for what it was. The killer clowns were very heelish, teaming up. Divina is somebody I need to see more of, because he was about the most graceful high flyer I have ever seen.

There wasn't much to this. Clowns team up, babyface come back with cool dives than heels clear the ring and win by triple teaming. Fun for what it was, but not essential or anything.

Does anybody have Mascarita Divina recommendations, because he is someone I will be focused on.

Mascarita Dorada vs Pierrothito (CHIKARA, 2009.08.16)

I watched a CHIKARA match! This is a rematch from the previous night that PIerrothito won, so he's confident coming into this. This is also about half a year earlier than the previous match I watched between these two.

Last time I compared them to Rey Jr and Psicosis and that description fits even better for this contest. I really loved this match.

The first 1/3 of the match is all matwork and submissions. Dorada is really quick going from hold to hold trying to get on an arm move that would make Pierrothito tap.This first part was just a great open to the match, so much fun.

Speaking of fun, Dorada busted out some offense in this baby. A vertical suplex! A few dives where he catches Pierrothito with a flying headscissors (ala Rey Jr.) and a moonsault. He goes for a second moonsault, but Pierrothito gets his knees up which leads to his cockyness which leads to his demise.

They add a twist as the awesome submission Dorada uses was not the finish, but the precursor to a roll up for the win.

I would put this with any traveling Rey-Psicosis match (outside the Bash at the Beach). This one is highly recommended and better than the 2/3 falls match I watched the other day.

Easily *** 3/4 which makes my master list of good matches list. I will gladly watch every match in this series.

There was a Little Tokyo & Lord Littlebrook vs. Cowboy Lang & Little Coco match on the AWA set that I really enjoyed. Little Tokyo is a very fun heel.

With the world's greatest atomic drop!

Yes, I will need to rewatch that one. I'm also a big fan of Tokyo from memory. He always stood out to me. I don't see how he's not just as good as Mr. Fuji, if not better.

It sounds like you're on more of a Lucha kick, but you might check out Little Beaver vs Tom Thumb from the Chicago Archives.

Beaver has a cool Mohawk, boatloads of personality, and could easily have been a luchadore with a little training I think. He's great fun to watch, and the 20 min flies by. Plus, Russ is terribly un-pc (but never mean), and it makes for cringeworthy good times on commentary.

It sounds like you're on more of a Lucha kick, but you might check out Little Beaver vs Tom Thumb from the Chicago Archives.

Beaver has a cool Mohawk, boatloads of personality, and could easily have been a luchadore with a little training I think. He's great fun to watch, and the 20 min flies by. Plus, Russ is terribly un-pc (but never mean), and it makes for cringeworthy good times on commentary.

I will always take recommendations.

Tom Thumb vs Little Beaver (Chicago Film Archives)

Let's get this out of the way first, Russ was the worst on this. Although, to be fair, every American announcer is the worst when announcing minis matches. (Actually the Chikara guys were good).

What stuck out to me about this match was that it felt more like a late 70/80's match, not a 50/60's match. There was some solid grappling and mat work and only one true comedy spot (a real good one too, where Little Beaver juts sits and waits for Thumb to dive and then he moves). The movement is fast and purposeful. I'm starting to think you can predict the future of wrestling by watching minis matches, as they seem ahead of their time.

I want to see more Little Beaver as he was really good in this. Tom Thumb, as well, was a solid hand.

If you have seen 80's minis matches and groan, this is not that. This is just a regular match up with some speed done by shorter guys. Although, it has the obligatory airplane spin spot. I recommend you watch it, but it's not a great match or anything.

Mascarita Dorada vs Mini Psicosis (AAA 2012.05.19)

Now we are talking. Earlier Dorada was compared to Rey Jr in the way he works and that is a very apt description. I've also compared the Dorada-Pierrothito to the travelling Rey Jr-Piscosis series. Imagine my excitement when I saw a Dorada-Mini Piscosis match on youtube?

Now I have never seen this Psicosis before and as it turns out he is just like the other Piscosis but without the awesome dives and crazy bumps. So, just a good hand. However, Dorada was feeling it in this one.

It starts off with the traditional Dorada trying to rip off his opponents arm sequence. This one had Piscosis try some nice counters, but he still can't stop Dorada's attack. Who knew Dorada was essentially an Anderson?

Dorada then kicked this baby into high gear and then hits a ....

TOPE INTO AN ARMDRAG!

Amazing! A few more cool high spots, is followed by Psicosis using his second to gain the advantage. He alternates between ripping on the mask and double teaming with his second. They have some nice double teams. Dorada makes a come back, after his second (Octagoncito) does a crazy tope.

Dorada then hit a sommersault plancha from the ring post to the floor! Damn!

Unfortunately Psicosis does some more cheating, rips off the mask and destroys Dorada with a tombstone piledriver to retain his mini title.

Now this was a showcase for Dorada and right up there with the Pierrothito match. Let's say 3.75, would be 4 but it was under 12 minutes. Check it out though. Will mentioned in the GWE area that Dorada would have to be blow away in Mexico to be considered. Well, looking at him and Mexico and touring the US Indies he just may be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eCFn9unJ4Y

Espectrito Mascarita Sagrada (AAA)

I don't have a date on this, but mid-late 90s? I believe April 16, 1993

I was very excited to see that this one goes over 20 minutes, so I could get a lengthy match in tonight. Also, it's the classic lucha 2/3 falls contest.

Third fall where Sagrada tries a dive on full-sized Espectro gets caught then held for Espectrito doing a vicious dive where Sagrada moves out of the way is tremendous.

Now we are talking as this match is freaking awesome. Great matwork and submissions. Great dives and cool power moves. Sagrada is on the level of Dorada that is for sure. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you like lucha that is not brawls or all matwork and enjoy some high spots, this match is right up your alley. 4 stars easy if not higher. Highly recommend, this match shows that minis can have the same match that non-minis have.

12 Mini Cage Match (CMLL 2012.11.06)

Shockercito vs Último Dragoncito, Pequeño Halcón, Aereo, Astral, Fantasy, Pierrothito, Demus 3:16, Mercurio, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Warrior, Pequeño Violencia in a cage match, last one in losses hair or mask

I have heard about these matches in lucha, but have never seen one. It's essentially a battle royal in a cage where you try to escape. Final two have a regular match.

I did enjoy the early escape by a couple of wrestlers. Why not just run out when everyone is distracted? However, the real highlight of this one was the Pierrothito vs Demus 3:16 square off of evils. Demus bloodies him up for good measure. It started to get decent as more guys left the ring, but this was nothing more than solid. Don't avoid, but not really recommended just a solid match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyzFcMbYwzU

Pequeno Olimpico vs Astral (CMLL 2013/4/20)

Two new folks for me as we get a Minis title match here with Olimpico as the champion. Thanks to luchawiki we know that Astral is the nephew of Pierrothito which makes me like him a lot! It also says he's 5'3 and 149 pounds. Luchadore minis are a weird bunch. An even cooler fact is that Astral got his job after winning the minis division of the 2009 CMLL Bodybuilding contest!!!!! Olimpico is 5'2 and 132 pounds with no real relatives. Damn luchawi is awesome!

The first fall is just decent counter wrestling finished with Astral rolling up Olimpico. Nothing spectacular, but everything solid.

They open things up in the second fall. Astral hits a great tope and Olimpico gets the win with a weird spinning slam thing. Those two first falls were real short.

The third fall is a lot better and longer. Everything looks good and they have some fun submissions and dives. In the end Olimpico ties Astral up for the submission win.

This is one of those matches that is completely fun, but is not substantial and nothing I will remember later today. It's definitely enjoyable, so check it out, however it will not blow your mind or anything.

Check out the AAA shows from the US that they put on in 93-94 for a fun way to start off a show.

It might be nice...and possibly cheaper - for WWE to bring in other minis to work with Dorada/Torito instead of whatever they feel will get over with their universe. Slap some colourful costumes on the other minis and everyone looks better in the ring for it. Four minis going half-lucha speed should still pop the crowds from young to old to the jaded and unkempt.

The rabbit gimmick was done in mini form in the 90s. Mini versions of WWE guys isn't the answer either. Pick some monsters or aliens or animal costumes and you have yourself something gives a different style of wrestling than the heavyweights do without WWE losing their shit over their superstars looking small. Call them WWE ministars or something ™ if they are so intent on labelling everything as their own creation.

• 3 weeks later...

Little Coco & Karate Kid vs Little Tokyo & Killer Cruz (WWC 1991)

We head into Puerto Rico for some Little Tokyo!!!

This one is JIP. Tokyo is a grizzled veteran at this point and is awesome. There is some comedy you would expect, but damn you get this real cool spot where the faces pick up Cruz and use him to do a bettering ram on Tokyo in the corner a few times. It looked vicious and great.

The heels start cheating to get the heat and do some old school heel tag actions. Cruz even hits a nice belly to belly suplex. Coco is decent enough as a FIP, but Tokyo and Cruz are the stars here.There was the token mini thrown into ref after kick out spot which I hate.

Karate Kid gets a hot tag and does some fancy karate for the win. A fun and solid southern style tag match.

El Torito vs Hornswoggle (WWE Smackdown, 2014.04.18)

I didn't realize they wrestled on Smackdown, so I was excited since their PPV matches were so awesome.

They start with headlocks and old school wrestling like push off run ropes into body check. Then Torito shows off his awesome spots with a headscissors and a dropkick. A vicious throw into the turnbuckle by Hornswoggle and then he hits the Yokozuna bomb, but does the silly comedy afraid of height thing.

HUGE LARIAT by Hornswoggle and he does a great Hansen impersonation. JBL and Cole are horrible here, though, over hyping this in a mocking fashion.

Almost a death bodyslam by Hornswoggle! He taunts the Matadores and a nice hope spot roll up by Torito for two. Come back by Torito and it's great seeing Dorada incorporating bull movements into his already great routine. It's great he can go from awesome Rey Jr. esque wrestler to comedy Rey Jr. wrestler so easily.

Big moonsault by Torito for a win. A very fine 5 minute TV match. WWE TV needs more Torito.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVj-4I58N8

Parkita & Mini Cibernequito vs Mini Mankind & Mini Goldust (AAA 1997)

I love La Parka, so I was really curious to see La Parkita.

Man, what I would give to see a La Parka & Cibernetico vs Goldust & Mankind match, but alas, this will have to do.

THERE IS A MINI PAUL BEARER!!!!!!!

Classic 3 falls version here.

1st Fall:

Mini Goldust is pretty great with cheap shots here and awesome taunting posing to Ciber and strutting to Parkita. He even does a Rick Rude sell of an atomic drop. Parkita hits a huge tope on Mankind leaving Ciber and Goldust alone with Ciber countering a backdrop into a hurrancanrana for the pin. For the first fall. Some fun stuff, but sloppy.

2nd Fall:

Vicious dropkick by Goldust. Then he completely misses a springboard corner dropkick which gets sold by CIber... Ciber is also a huge dick, as Goldust has Parkita in a camel clutch and Ciber comes in and cheers a lot before making the save. Parkita returns the favour when Mankind has Ciber in a hold. I feel these partners are turning on each other.

Holy Shit! Ciber tries a sommersault plancha, his legs get hooked on the ropes and he falls upside on his head on the concrete. Ouch. I rewound that 3 times.Goldust got his knees up a little for help.

Parkita has Goldust down, Paul Bearer makes the save with brass knuckles and then sprints to the back as Mankind and Goldust are DQ'd. Parkita is out cold.

A fun but sloppy affair. Such a weird contest to see, I would give this a recommendation.

I just looked it up on lucha wiki and Mini Goldust is Mini Abismo Negro and Mini Karis La Momia, so I have a new person to look out for.

Dinastia & Mascarita Sagrada vs Mini Abismo Negro & Mini Histeria (AAA 2014.10.10)

I thought would give Mini Goldust a second look, so here we go. Histeria & Abismo come out in matching outfits like a true tag team to cool music and we have a six-sided ring.

Dinastia comes out to Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Sagrada comes out to Undertaker dance music. Wow, I'm psyched now!!

Goldust has filled out a little in the last 8 years, so he should be more bad ass now. Dinastia and Goldust have a fun mat sequence to start and then Sagrada and Histeria tag in and its a fun sprint all of the sudden. Straight to tag team bad assery by Histeria & Goldust. They even swing Sagrada around by his mask and toss him. They pull of a top rope leg drop version of the Demolition move!

They double team one guy, throw him out, other comes in and they double team him. This is lots of fun so far.

However, a miscue leads to a technico comeback and Dinastia unloads with some awesome strikes and they go back to the mat. Another few miscues and then Dinastia does the Ultimo Dragon kicks and Histeria cuts him off and then dances!!!

Goldust with a big DDT on Sagrada and a huge slap, but Sagrada stealds Dorada's submission and everyone is back in. Dinastia is quite the impressive high flyer.

Huge belly to belly from top rope by Goldust, but the count is broken up. Sagrada with a flying headscissors from top rope to floor which leaves Histeria and Dinastia alone. Dinastia connects with a (450?) splash for two and then misses a plash and goes to the floor. Sagrada with a hurrancanrana for the win.

OK, this is my new favourite match ever! OK, maybe not but the fun level on this one was way up. Awesome dives, great heel tag team antics, amazing taunts and everyone looked great. This was kind of like Dick Togo & Shiryu vs Gran Hamada & Great Sasuke if you need a comparison. Check this one out. Easily *** 1/2 if not more.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinastia, Mascarita Dorada, & Octagoncito vs. Mini Charly Manson, Mini Histeria, & Mini Psicosis

(AAA on Televisa 07-27-2012)

First, holy hell is Manson not really a Mini. He's huge, clearly above the Mendoza line of Minis. Dude can move though, and he makes ample use of his height to bully around the Tecnico team.

The real star, and this shouldn't come as a shocker, is Dorada. He takes a hellacious beating in the beginning of the match and with the way he bumps he really sells the beating to the audience. Dorada may be under a mask but his body mannerisms managed to grab me and make me care about what was happening to him. That's the sign of a great wrestler, if you ask me, someone who is willing to give up his offensive exploits to sell and bump like crazy for the Rudos. Of course once Dorada has recovered he flies around like only he can and all of his offense is dynamic and energetic in the best of ways.

Psicosis and Histeria are really good as the tough guy heels, way overconfident in themselves but able to back it up for the most part. What the two of them do that is very important to the match is to take on the role of great bases. They let Dinastia and Dorada bounce off of and around them and make all of their opponents offense look good.

Dinastia and Octagoncito are interesting cases. Octagoncito doesn't do a whole lot in the match, but he's capable when he does get into the mix. It's just that he appears to be out matched skill wise by everyone else in the match. Then again maybe this was just an off outing for him. Dinastia flies better than Dorada, but he doesn't have the timing or sense of place that Dorada does. For instance a Standing Shooting Star Press is great in theory but busting it out to break up an innocuous pin attempt isn't exactly the best use of such a move. Dinastia is a guy who, if he reigned himself in a bit more, and paid attention more to aspects beyond just flying around I could see being really, really great.

All in all a really good match that falls just short of great.

• 3 weeks later...

Life and the 97 yearbook distracted me from this thread, but a minis match popping up on the 97 yearbook made me pretty happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv8PKmlJGKQ

Cicloncito Ramirez vs Damiancito el Guerrero (CMLL 1/7/97)

Ok, this is a must watch and the best match I've seen since I started this thread. The matwork is out of this world smooth. When they hit high spots, they are amazing, including two of the best topes I have ever seen. The third fall is one of the best final falls I have seen and was so great, I rewound and watched again.

I loved this match and will re-visit it again. Just perfect lucha title match wrestling.

**** 1/2