Pro Wrestling Only

Hogan's crowd connection v. Bruno's crowd connection

MoS

I was looking over some of the later promos in the Bruno-Larry feud tonight for something else I'm doing, but it occurred to me that some of you who liked the earlier Bruno ones might appreciate seeing this stuff.

Larry Z is absolutely phenomenal here.

"For Pete's sakes wake up! This is ninteen-EIGHTY! This isn't 1960 anymore! This is not before the broken elbows, and the broken neck, and the broken back! This is not before all the scars and stitches! This is not before losing most of your hearing over the years to the cauliflower! This is nineteen-EIGHTY, Bruno, this is after the operation on the knees! This is after the wires and the bolts. This is after it all. You're not like me anymore, you're WASHED UP. How much more plain do I have to say it, you're washed up and you're through! Now face the facts that this is the winter of your career before you go out there and finish your death wish ..."

What a fucking promo that is!

But wait till you see Bruno's reply (his 2nd promo), he's on fucking fire. That's one pissed off Italian!

Honestly, I LOVE these promos leading up to the Shea show. Think this stuff is awesome and deserves to be seen; let me know what you think.

That Bruno-Larry stuff is FANTASTIC. Although I can't stop laughing at Bruno's hair.

Agreed with the general consensus on Bruno's appeal vs Hogan's appeal. Bruno appealed to the everyman, Hogan appealed to kids who watched saturday morning cartoons and wanted a real-life He-Man.

Also, people think that Randy Savage wasn't a cartoon character? I need to experience your reality.

Is there something that Vince maybe fundamentally underrates about an "earthy" appeal? Austin was on top for a couple of years but was fairly quickly replaced by the Rock, who certainly had a more Hogan-esque appeal (the Rock was definitely a cartoon). He has resisted moving John Cena out of the top spot (and he has A LOT of similarities to Hogan in act and presentation) in favor of Punk and Bryan, who are a couple of perfect archetypes of the younger generation - I guarantee if you went to college in the last 10 years, you absolutely know people who have those personalities. Is there an argument that Vince has always been trying to recreate Hogan, his first and in some ways biggest success?

I'd be surprised to hear that there's a counter-argument to that.

Austin is definitely the "dirtiest" of the top level guys that Vince has pushed - not just Hogan and The Rock, but Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Cena, Angle, Lesnar, Luger, Sid, Orton and Batista's original babyface pushes...all highly marketable "clean" presentations that were never about being an everyman and way more about being a Superstar with an uppercase S (Hart might be arguable).

Warrior, Taker, and Savage were more cartoonish and "louder" personalities than Bryan, Punk, and Jeff Hardy (and we could, in 2015, be adding Ambrose to the list of very over guys that have an "earthy"/punk/redneck character).