Pro Wrestling Only

Stan Lane

Grimmas

I think Lane is a guy that has become underrated. I'm not going to pretend that he's someone I have considered seriously, but it's worth remembering that he was one half of two of the best tag teams of modern era, and was also one half of very good Heavenly Bodies tag team. I haven't watched the Fabs stuff in a long time, but I don't remember there being a consensus about who was the better of the two in that team, and that is a very highly regarded team around here. If someone wanted to argue that the Del Ray/Prichard, Condrey/Eaton version of the other teams were better I certainly wouldn't disagree, but it's not as if Lane wasn't in an awful lot of good matches teaming with Eaton and Dr. Tom. I remember being shocked by how much I liked his match with Pre-Cobra, Cobra from early 80's New Japan, but I'm not sure if that was a one off or not. In any event, it seems wrong to completely dismiss a guy who was consistently a part of some of my favorite matches, in what is arguably my favorite kind of wrestling (southern tags) for close to ten years straight.

• 9 months later...

I just saw Bill Thompson mention Stan Lane in the "Who is in your top 100?" thread and that jumped out at me because I've been thinking about Stan Lane lately. He isn't really highly regarded by anyone but he was in a shit ton of great tag matches and like Dylan said above, he was in two of the best teams ever and a third really good team. Lane is a really weird guy. I kind of want to include him because I love all the tag teams he's in. He is someone I might look more into. Are there any standout singles matches?

I think Lane is a guy that has become underrated. I'm not going to pretend that he's someone I have considered seriously, but it's worth remembering that he was one half of two of the best tag teams of modern era, and was also one half of very good Heavenly Bodies tag team. I haven't watched the Fabs stuff in a long time, but I don't remember there being a consensus about who was the better of the two in that team, and that is a very highly regarded team around here. If someone wanted to argue that the Del Ray/Prichard, Condrey/Eaton version of the other teams were better I certainly wouldn't disagree, but it's not as if Lane wasn't in an awful lot of good matches teaming with Eaton and Dr. Tom. I remember being shocked by how much I liked his match with Pre-Cobra, Cobra from early 80's New Japan, but I'm not sure if that was a one off or not. In any event, it seems wrong to completely dismiss a guy who was consistently a part of some of my favorite matches, in what is arguably my favorite kind of wrestling (southern tags) for close to ten years straight.

I was thinking about this a few days ago, is Lane one of the top 3 tag team wrestlers of all time behind Bobby Eaton & Ricky Morton? IMO he is one half of 2 of the top 5 tag teams off all time, he at least has to be in the running for this?

• 5 months later...

I'm not sure I'll rank him, but I've always been a bit of a mark for him, even his goofball karate horseshit. I've re-watched some of the Fabs/Moondogs matches from the Memphis set in the last couple years and they're still fucking great. Him wildly flinging himself at the Moondogs and trying to bite their faces off is as big a part of why as anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

Will anyone rank him? He's in an awful lot of good matches across both his big tag runs.

You are underselling.

He's in an awful lot of good matches across all three of his big tag runs.

Granted I have a different sort of way of viewing things for my tag ballot, but all three of Lane's teams will make my top 25. Two of them will make my top ten.

And yet...I never really think of him when I think of great tag workers, and I still can't bring myself to think of him seriously for a top 100 here. Very weird and maybe something I should think about more.

Lane's one of a handful of guys I'm thinking about for my bottom spot. What might keep him off in the end is that I'm not sure there's much of a case for him being the best guy in any of his tag teams (I assume the three Dylan is referring to are Midnights, Fabs and Heavenly Bodies?). He's been involved in plenty of tags I'd happily call great, but I'm not sure how great HE was in any of them.

• 5 years later...

All joking aside, I actually consider Stan Lane to be a realistic candidate for a top 100. The Midnight Express Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane with Jim Cornette are a top 3 team of all time. The Fabulous Ones are a top 5 team of all time. The Heavenly Bodies are awesome and probably would've been a top 10 team of all time if Stan Lane stuck around longer. When he pops up in a random tag like Stan Lane & Eddie Gilbert vs Terry Funk & Cactus Jack on the indies its a fucking amazing match. When you add the redneck karate to his monster tag team resume', leaving him off in favor of any number of people feels like a mistake. 

• 4 months later...

I was the high voter on Stan Lane (see my bitchin' avatar) at #64. Shame on you, PWO, shame on you! I expect better from a Southern-fried board! :P 

He does suffer from being the second best person on both his main teams. I think the Eaton thing doesnt surprise anyone. I do think Keirn was the better brawler on the Fabs but because Lane has the Midnights run and reinvents himself as a Redneck Karate stooge that lifts him over Keirn. I was watching some footage from Crockett I had not seen before for the PTBN Greatest WCW Match Project and this match really leapt off the page for me so to speak. I tend watches for the intra-match narrative and how the performances serve the match and I rarely watch with how individual is doing outside the match if that makes sense. Ultimately this is why I prefer Greatest Match Projects to Greatest Wrestler Projects. I remember earmarking this in my mind to exhibit as an individual Stan Lane performance where he outshone both Ricky Morton and Bobby Eaton in a match which is a tall task. He will assuredly make my list again in 2026. 

Here is the match & review in question:

NWA World Tag Team Champions Rock N Roll Express vs NWA US Tag Team Champions Midnight Express - NWA Worldwide 7/11/87

I am proud to be PWO's Official #1 Stan Lane fan tonight. Not only did he kill in the ring on this night, but he cuts a bitchin' promo on the outside. Corny gotten taken out the week prior by the RNRs I think to cover for a surgery or something related to the fall from the Scaffold. Lane calls Cornette a good Christian who gives 80% of his income to charities and co-wrote We Are The World. I popped for that!

Terrific match! This is the type of pro wrestling I just live for. Stan Lane gives this feud a fresh new dynamic. He sells his ass off in this match. Whether, it was letting himself be kicked in the ass through the ropes or how he sold the leg work, the man put on a helluva performance. I liked how he would maneuver the ref so he could yank Morton down by the hair after Eaton had just been falsely complaining Gibson was  pull his hair in the segment prior. Morton rockets him with punches. Dropkick. Lane pinballs for the Rock N Rolls in awesome fashion. The leg work by Rock N Rolls is so good, so tight. The key is Lane. He keeps it fun and entertaining. Heel in Peril at the beginning of 80s tag whether up North or down South is a tough thing to work. Lane the way he was verbally selling everything made it. I LOVED Eaton finally getting the tag ONLY to fall prey to a drop toehold and end up right back where his partner was. Finally Eaton crashes on Gibson with a knee from behind. Lane shows that mean streak. Snake Eyes on the railing and chokes with he cord. Strong heat segment. We dont see of those Beautiful Sweet Home Alabama rights but we get some real mean, nasty work from Lane. They work a spot where Morton keeps getting so incensed they are able to hurl Gibson over the top rope which is illegal. Gibson is good about selling, but not too much peppering in those pinning combinations to give the crowd hope. Eaton finally goes up for one of his highspots. He misses a gorgeous top rope elbow. Here comes Morton. He is full of piss & vinegar. Looks great. A meeting of the minds! Morton is directing traffic to set up DOUBLE DROPKICK on Eaton but he bumps the ref. Here comes Big Bubba Rogers who plants Morton with the Bossman Slam. He throws the ref back in. 1-2-3! New World Tag Champs?!? Wait?! I thought...huh...oh here's another ref to reverse the decision. 

Finish keeps it from my Top 3 MX vs RNRs matches but this will safely make my Top 100 JCP/WCW matches. Check out Stan Lane's performance not far behind is Gibson who is a great face in peril. Gibson will definitely make my Top 100 Wrestlers next time. The two unsung members of their tag team give standout performances in this banger. ****1/4