Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-10-21-WWF-Smackdown] Steve Austin vs Val Venis

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

This may be the best WWF TV match of the year, and it’s a unique matchup to boot. Austin gave Val a lot in this match and Val hangs really well at the main event level. Austin takes a suplex on the floor and also bumps over the guardrail at ringside. They actually do the best job they possibly can getting over Venis’s chances of pulling off an upset. Great TV wrestling.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Val Venis - Smackdown 10/21/99

I watched the opening show promo. Mankind was pissed at the Rock for dissing his book which caused the Rock 'n' Sock Connection to lose the tag belts as Mankind threw a temper tantrum. Foley cuts a pretty good promo on The Rock. The Rock accepts his challenge. I always forget how over The Rock was. The Rock wants Austin to have a match to be fair (Austin vs Rock vs HHH at the upcoming Survivor Series). Val Venis comes out and cuts a classic Dolph Ziggler-esque promo about it is his time and that he is the fastest rising superstar. Whatever, Val. Austin punches him in the face and accepts.

I thought this was a good match but nothing to write him about. Val has some good punches and is well-built, but he lacks charisma. What makes me wanna see The Big Valbowski. Austin was interesting to watch he clearly enjoys traditional wrestling and this built well. He loves to cheat. It is funny that WWF has these babyfaces with heel edges such as Hogan and Bret. An indictment on American society, overall good but occasionally using questionable means to obtain a good. Austin eyepokes. This is worked heel vs heel except Austin is over huge as a babyface. Lots of Irish whips to create movement in the match. I am more interested in this as a time piece of 1999 rather than the match because the narrative is nothing special. I think what I like about this is the selling. It is the right amount. It is a register rather than a sell. I think in today's wrestling they sell so much for a short period and then blow it off. I rather they sell like Austin just enough but when he comes back it feels credible. For instance, the transition is Austin landing bad on his neck off a clothesline. He writhes in pain and Val is able to take advantage, suplex on the floor and a whip into barricade. But it is not so much that Austin is dying. Plus Austin is always fighting back and he puts the onus on Val to cut him off (eyerakes). It is good stuff. I liked the superplex attempt which Val blocked with a front suplex. The end was good Val whacks Austin with the chair in the leg and then Austin says Fuck You and hits him with the Stunner! It was more an interesting look at what wrestling looked like in 1999 rather than a good match.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-10-21-WWF-Smackdown] Steve Austin vs Val Venis