Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-11-09-BattlARTS] Alexander Otsuka vs Mitsuhiro Matsunaga

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Alexander Otsuka is a wrestler's wrestler, so he's a little taken off guard by Matsunaga channeling Abdullah the Butcher and repeatedly stabbing his forehead with a pencil. Otsuka fights back with highspots, but his effort is futile, and they end up making the ringside area look pretty mangled, with furniture scattered everywhere. This was a pretty incredible match in terms of heat and drama. Matsunaga was limited, but knew how to get the most out of his act, and Otsuka showed a new dimension.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Holy shit, this was awesome! Is this the most stylistically ridiculous match of all time? A worked shoot brawl with fireballs and forks. And damn did it work. The brawling aspect was really wild and Matsunaga's act with the fork was great, loved him going for the submission by working over the HAND with the fork and trying to hide it from the ref. Loved Otsuka's first big come back with the great looking dive and his second comeback blocking the fork and hitting big headbutts, before grabbing the fork and going to town himself. Cool ending with a nice submission.

• 1 year later...

I think I liked the Ishikawa match a bit better because of the Ishikawa-as-Inoki factor and how they completely outdid the Inoki-Singh dynamic they were aping, and because it was such a huge surprise, but this is pretty great and I want to see Matsunaga against every single member of the BattlArts roster. I repeatedly said this about El Dandy at the beginning of my Yearbook journey, and as we approach the end, I'll say that Otsuka is one of the most versatile wrestlers of all-time, possibly more versatile than ol' Roberto Gutierrez himself.

• 2 months later...

Pretty much in line with Tim's thoughts. I thought it was funny that Matsunaga basically no sold most of Otsuka's offense until Otsuka German suplexes him. Loved Otsuka's dive to the outside and Matsunaga working over the hand with the fork or whatever it was. And I agree that Otsuka is definitely one of the most versatile wrestlers I've seen. He's kind of a freak worker in that sense and his matches rarely feel like retread territory.

• 2 months later...

As if you needed more proof that Otsuka was one of the most versatile performers in history. Great mix of styles match with some outstanding Otsuka selling. Bizarre and fascinating. Truly amazing spectacle. ****1/4

elliot wrote a great piece on why he thinks this is a possible Top 10 match for all time: http://gweproject.freeforums.net/post/2280/thread

• GSR changed the title to [1999-11-09-BattlARTS] Alexander Otsuka vs Mitsuhiro Matsunaga
  • 1 year later...