Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-11-15-WCW-Nitro] Juventud Guerrera vs El Dandy vs Psicosis vs Silver King (Pinata on a Pole)

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Racism equals ratings, as Russo berates the luchadores before announcing a Pinata on a Pole match. This is also the debut of Oklahoma, as he and the debuting Dr. Death are at ringside. We already know about them making fun of Jim Ross's Bells Palsy and how tasteless that was, so I'll just focus on the funny parts of Oklahoma on commentary, which are plentiful. It's a shame he did the Bells Palsy face, because Oklahoma was genuinely funny. It may not have been a funny parody for very long, but it was funny one time. Saying Juventud Guerrera was a great defensive lineman at Tijuana State was awesome, as was him screaming out names three times, telling Tony to speak in soundbytes and informing us that Dr. Death is going to go through this locker room like a hemophiliac going through a pack of Band-Aids. Doc runs in and attacks everyone in the ring after Juventud wins the pinata and candy (yes) but is a little careless and injures a few guys unfortunately.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I was once considering ordering both the 1998 & 1999 Yearbooks sets. Those years, for me, are a tad murky. But, reading about all the Russo-phlemic stuff not just in WCW but in WWF as well, I reconsidered. Some things are best left forgotten. So, Loss, you really ought to be mad at Russo. He actually cost you money.

• 1 year later...

This would be hilarious for all the wrong reasons if it wasn't so sad and pathetic--not enough quality control to tell the guys to maybe not do buckle spots in the corner with the pole. The crowd is actually into the action, but Russo's too much of a racist blind fuckhead to actually notice that so let's focus on him settling stupid personal grudges at the announcer's desk instead. Schiavone's gibbering over everything Oklahoma says is an easy way to undo anything out of his mouth actually coming across as funny.

"Thinking that SHIT like THIS is going to bring in the viewers and put WCW back on top to stay, make everybody money...I mean, they can't actually BELIEVE this. Hell, at this point I'm ready to believe that they KNOW their asses are gone in a month so they might as well get in every cheap shot they can while they have the keys to the kingdom." --CRZ, raising a very valid point.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-11-15-WCW-Nitro] Juventud Guerrera vs El Dandy vs Psicosis vs Silver King (Pinata on a Pole)