Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-11-23-FMW-10th Anniversary Show] Masato Tanaka vs Kodo Fuyuki (Loser Leaves FMW Electric Cage)

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

The best FMW matches in 1999 have been great throwback-style wrestling matches, but this was different. This was a true spectacle in the old spirit of the promotion wrestled inside an electric cage where the wrestlers do everything they can not to bump into the cage, as doing so sets off an explosion. Fuyuki can’t hold a candle to his peers in straight wrestling matches, but matches like this suit him well because they tailor to his knack for creating drama. Tanaka at this point (maybe to this day, actually) can do anything. The cage didn’t factor into this all that much in the early stages but eventually did in a big way, as Fuyuki started dismantling the ring and using its parts as a weapon, also clearing the way for the cage borders to be even more difficult to avoid. I like the irony of Fuyuki dismantling the ring being his undoing, as Tanaka almost immediately makes a comeback with by throwing a hard punch at Fuyuki to send him crashing into the cage and following up immediately with a powerbomb to get a really close fall. This wasn’t quite as good as the best stuff they did in ’99, but it was still terrific and has a unique gimmick that makes it stand out from the pack.

• 9 months later...

I didn't like this as much as Loss. The teases for the explsions were nice and I liked the Fuyuki taking part the ring thing. However, the cage was pretty much useless. When the explosions happened, they didn't even sell it that long. And no blood. Like what is that? Fuyuki is awesome though. He's like a Japanese Eric Embry.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm with Tim here--they did great build to the spots with the cage, but don't really sell them long-term after hitting them despite teasing how deadly the explosions would be early on...until the end, as Fuyuki goes down not because he's been rendered comatose by accumulated damage but because it's go-home time.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-11-23-FMW-10th Anniversary Show] Masato Tanaka vs Kodo Fuyuki (Loser Leaves FMW Electric Cage)