Footloose

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18962 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:52 PM

Awesome 80s All Japan tag team. I love the Furnas/Kroffat series. They don't have longevity but they have a great couple of years.

#2 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 10045 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:50 AM

Awesome awesome team. Yeah, the Kroffat/Furnas series is insane. Kawada was still searching himself but was already one hell of a worker and Fuyuki worked harder than ever at this point. 

#3 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1446 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Tremendous for the short time they were together, really worked well with gaijin teams and Kawada really found his niche before Ricky left with Onita. I think they'll be on my list, but I'm not quite sure how high yet.

#4 G. Badger

G. Badger

Viceroy of Catlandia

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Location:In my chair, watching Lou Reed press interviews from the 70's

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Footloose is probably my favorite tag team right now. They are just so enjoyable to watch. Fuyuki followed Tenryu to SWS & WAR where they kept a very similar style...rope running, stiff clubbering blows, attitude, and relatively short match times (compared to where AJ was headed). I think that's what's interesting about Kawada in Footloose & Tenryu's Revolution stable...did he prefer this style over the grander Kings Road style? He surely excelled in both.

Key matches to me:

vs Takashi Ishikawa & Mighty Inoue 4/21/88: weird moves, teases, tricks, and smart work. A great match for sure!

vs Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano 7/19/88
&
vs Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano 9/15/88:
The first match is the better of the two but both are fantastic. The first is fast & wild where the rematch this more about hate. These should be seen together.

Giant Baba, Rusher Kimura, Masa Fuchi vs. Genichiro Tenryu, Toshiaki Kawada & Samson Fuyuki 9/15/89: Classic example of a diamond in the rough 6 man for this period. Baba & Rusher stunk by 1989 so, Fuchi in essence has to do the lion share of the wrestling for his team. Footloose as Tenryu's underlings are fantastic.

Genichiro Tenryu, Toshiaki Kawada & Samson Fuyuki vs. Kenta Kobashi, Great Kabuki & Jumbo Tsuruta 10/14/89: High energy, multi-near fall type match with simple moves that elevates it to something maybe not entirely memorable from a "highspots" standpoint but, something absolutely excellent.

Footloose faced the Can-Am team of Kroffat & Furnas to excellent results best exemplified by their 6/5/89 match. They also had some very fine meetings with the Malenkos, Bulldogs, Jumbo/Yatsu/Kabuki, Rock n Roll Express, and others. Some of these are jip but, I've yet to see a Footloose match that disappointed...usually around the ***1/2-***3/4 range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users