Pro Wrestling Only

Savio Vega/TNT

Grimmas

Really interesting guy to me,in that I think he was always good, at times very good, but I'm not sure he was ever really a great wrestler. He kind of reminds me of DDP in that regard, though I don't think his best matches are as good as DDP's best matches. I could see maybe tossing him a low end vote because of his consistency over a long time. Even as recently as the last few years you could argue he was the best guy in Puerto Rico week-to-week. On the other hand he's not even in the same universe as Colon or Invader 1, and I'm not not sure his best stuff rates with the best stuff of Invader 3. Plus I'd rate the PR work of Ron Starr and Eric Embry ahead of him safely. So yeah, he's a bubble guy to me, but one that could safely break through if I were to find a bunch of good 90's PR work from him.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I definitely liked what Savio brought in his WWF time, and the random PR stuff I've seen from him has been really good. He's underrated a lot due to exposure, but I think even Austin himself said that Savio was one of his favorite guys to work because it allowed him to show he could go, and Savio brought that out of him in their matches. He's on the outside looking in, but he's not a bad nomination at all.

• 1 month later...

Interesting match for Savio is the one from Shotgun Saturday Night where he turns on Rocky Maivia. Works a good babyface match during the first half, then totally changes his style and showcase his heel work, with a lot of agression, building to Rocky's hope spots and comebacks, and bitchslapping him a bit too. Looks just as good in both roles (kinda remember that random Tito Santana vs Koko B. Ware from 91 or so in MSG where Koko all of a sudden worked heel).

For someone like me who's only seen him in WWF: what are the greatest Savio matches? I assume all of them are in PR, aside from maybe these?

Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu, Shinya Hashimoto, Keiji Muto & Masa Chono vs Vader, Bam Bam Bigelow, Wild Samoan, Great Kokina & TNT (NJPW Summer Crush 07/24/91, 2/3 falls) - http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/18627-tatsumi-fujinami-riki-choshu-shinya-hashimoto-keiji-muto-masa-chono-vs-vader-bam-bam-bigelow-wild-samoan-great-kokina-tnt-njpw-summer-crush-072491-23-falls/

Mr Pogo & TNT vs Iceman & Akitoshi Saito (W*ING 09/12/91, Cage Match) - http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/18746-mr-pogo-tnt-vs-iceman-akitoshi-saito-wing-091291-cage-match/

• 2 months later...

Rewachting 96 RAWs, Savio was easily one of the best TV worker in WWF.

Yeah, there are only three or so guys in 1996 WWF who were definitely better than Savio. I'd probably have him in my top five. He had some of that year's better house show matches for them, too (vs. Goldust 1/26/96, vs. Steve Austin 10/12/96).