Pro Wrestling Only

Kuniaki Kobayashi

Grimmas

I think he was pretty clearly Sayama's best opponent, or at least the best opponent he wrestled multiple times. And goddamn, do I love that AJPW match with Fuchi, though I guess it's more of a feather in Fuchi's cap. Even all-washed-up Kobayashi put on a pretty kickass match with Koki Kitahara during the NJPW-WAR feud. I don't know if it'll be enough for him to rate, but he would definitely make a top 150 for me.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Him and Tiger Mask work a good European Rules match in 95 that was surprisingly fun to watch and played off their prior encounters pretty well. Not a sensational top 10 ballot pick for his best hits but a solid outing for a guy who mostly fell off the radar after the cancer scare.

Might be a rogue choice if you are especially keen of the 80's Jr heavyweight scene. Certainly a great opponent for Tiger Mask and remained so arguably up until his very last few matches despite his rust, even if he always kinda awkwardly fit in with his opponents (and at times could drag with his long technical work) but his heel work was always very snug and worked with a wide range of opponents. Never anything sensational for the most part but a very competent worker that proved he could fit into basically any slot needed. If consistency is the big ranking for a top 100, he might just squeeze on.