Pro Wrestling Only

Scott Hall

Grimmas

Although obviously he will not top anyone's list, Scott Hall is interesting. When he was motivated, he was pretty good. He also had a tendency to become lazy. When he was working with his friends in WWF, he did some good stuff. When he has guaranteed money, maybe not so much.

Matches with 1-2-3 Kidd, at least one of them, was pretty good. Both ladder matches with Shawn Michaels were pretty good. I remember watching a Royal Rumble (I think) match with Jeff Jarrett that was pretty good.

Any other matches that come to mind? Anything in WCW at all? Or pre-Razor days?

Scott Hall is one of those guys that the wrestlers praise, but he just seems good to fans. He's a lot like Randy Orton.

I like him a lot more than Randy Orton, but it's mostly just nostalgia. I was in my early teens during the nWo and loved Scott Hall. When I watch him now, I certainly don't think he's great, nor terrible. And I always enjoy the schtick (aside from "Drunk Scott Hall" - the character, not the actual person whom I hope so much stays straight).

Don't forget the Ladder Match with Bigelow in WCW. It came late in his career - well past what I'd consider his prime - when he was phoning it in most nights.

But I think it's vastly underrated in the big scheme of things. And it's one match that actually deserves to be mentioned among his best performances, to be honest.

• 8 months later...

As Dave has said, he was in the ring a few times when Shawn Michaels had a great match against a ladder. That's hyperbole, obviously, and I think Hall was perfectly fine in those matches and plenty of others. But I've never walked a way from a match thinking, "Wow, Scott Hall really was great there".

watching the kliq DVD full of Scott Hall matches obviously and yeah there really is nothing special about the guy in the ring. And watching all those matches and this may seem far fetched but I think at their peak (s) Kevin Nash was a better worker. 93-95 Nash at least was better than 93-95 Hall

I'm not a huge Hall fan or anything, but just for some balance, I do think Hall did some "little things" really well. I just watched The Outsiders/Luger & Sting match from Hog Wild 96' yesterday and all four guys are pretty decent in it, so I'll use it as an example. I'm a fan of Sting's selling and comebacks and he is definitely the anchor of the match, but Hall and Nash really get their characters over - Hall, in particular, comes across as such a beatable bully that you really despise the guy. He throws his toothpick. He mocks his opponents' signature poses. He drags his boot across Sting's face to add insult to injury. In terms of pacing, too, both he and Nash take their time, so the crowd is with them from beginning to end. Unfortunately, there's also some slip-ups (Hall telegraphs the Razor's Edge reversal blatantly and struggles to hit the fallaway slam on Sting), but overall, after viewing the match, I was still interested in the characters.

Not a glowing review, but I could see how, on character alone, a guy like Hall or Nash could sneak into someone's list at #99.

• 7 years later...

I have always liked Razor Ramon. If he had spent like 5 more years working at that level, I think he'd be an interesting candidate. I love his offense. The fallaway slam, chokeslam, razor's edge are all awesome moves and he usually executes them well from memory. Really good puncher too. He's got enough quality matches that a 2-3 hour playlist would reflect well on him. Another for the " in another universe, this guy could've turned into a candidate" group. I think he works well enough as a personal pick towards the bottom of someone's list because the two ladder matches & action zone tag are so highly regarded. I also think the Jarrett match from Rumble 1995 is a really good match that is one of the better WWF matches of the decade not involving Bret, Shawn, Austin or Savage. 

I know he fell apart quickly but are there any WCW matches people feel passionately about?