Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-11-JWP] Chigusa Nagayo vs Plum Mariko

PeteF3

This had everything that I should like about the older, slower-paced JWP style, but for whatever reason I had trouble keeping my attention on this one. Plum just brutalizes Nagayo with an opening barrage for the ages, busting Nagayo open, but she settles down afterward and is content to stick with her more traditional leglocks and such. Nagayo pays her back and then some, heeling it up for a crowd that's apparently backing Plum 100%. There wasn't anything wrong here, and I should really be more appreciative of a joshi match build around a sleeperhold, but in the end I didn't feel like the Yearbook was poorer for missing it.

The best thing about viewing this was that the Youtube uploader added subtitles to the post-match talk. Chigusa cuts an angry-sounding promo that's really a motivational speech for Plum, then a pure-sports-build locker room interview follows, as she announces her desire for a match with Kansai and also discussing the booing.

• 1 year later...

The finest singles match of Plum Mariko's career. Beforehand they showed her training at the Rings dojo, working on submission techniques. She stormed into the ring and right away Chiggy bleeds~ The blood loss was a great idea as it helped towards evening the odds up. It wasn't long before the tide turned as Nagayo fought back with head kicks. She was heeling it up and the mixed crowd reactions were really fun. The style was very hold based, not your contemporary Joshi at all. The slower pacing suited them both. I liked the structure with timely shifts in momentum. The hard resets weren't welcome however. Near the end the submission work was excellent as they were fighting hard against the moves and searching for counters. It felt longer than 22m, in a good way for me though others might see it the other way. The psychology was top notch both in terms of crowd control and the storyline. Though she lost the match, Plum proved herself to Chigusa, and to me.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-11-JWP] Chigusa Nagayo vs Plum Mariko