Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-20-AJW-Big Egg Universe] Toshiyo Yamada & Tomoko Watanabe vs Shinobu Kandori & Mikiko Futagami

PeteF3

Basically a tale of two matches. When Yamada and Kandori are in the ring, it's gold--tremendous heat, and the action lives up to one's expectations of these two badasses going at it. The partners add very little other than making saves and taking up space, and things die off when they're legal. It's more like a singles match with two assist characters than a straight tag. Yamada throws kicks and Kandori twists her limbs in various directions, before Shinobu catches Yamada coming off the top in a Fujiwara armbar for a tapout. Somehow in the middle of a 10-hour show this match still felt rushed, but the action was good while it lasted and has you wanting to see these two women go at it again.

• 1 year later...

This was undoubtedly the highlight of Big Egg from outside of the U*Top tournament. Plenty of heat for the Kandori vs Yamada exchanges. It was all about those two facing in a first time dream match. A singles would've been far preferable, but it was still plenty of fun. Watanabe showed a few nice moves. To describe Futagami as an irrelevance would not be unfair. Some of the execution wasn't so hot. They should've had Kandori in the tournament as LLPW's biggest star.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-20-AJW-Big Egg Universe] Toshiyo Yamada & Tomoko Watanabe vs Shinobu Kandori & Mikiko Futagami
  • 4 years later...

I have a lot of negative things to say about this show and basically think it was a giant mistake by AJW. It's stupid that Kandori wasn't in the V*TOP tournament, which I can only assume was because she didn't want to job, but at least it gave us this brief moment in time where Kandori and Yamada squared off in the ring. In an alternate  reality, I'm sure they met two or three times in singles because their exchanges in this match are so freaking good. i used to think Kandori vs. Chigusa in '89 was the great missed opportunity in Joshi puroresu, but now I'm starting to think it was a Kandori vs. Yamada singles match. The armbars, Kandori giving Yamada the finger, the scuffle at the end... why didn't AJW capitalize on this? 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:16 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

i used to think Kandori vs. Chigusa in '89 was the great missed opportunity in Joshi puroresu, but now I'm starting to think it was a Kandori vs. Yamada singles match. The armbars, Kandori giving Yamada the finger, the scuffle at the end... why didn't AJW capitalize on this? 

The Observer reported at the time that Kandori sucker-punched Hokuto backstage at Big Egg Universe and tried to convince Eagle Sawai to shoot on her in their tournament match. Needless to say, that put an an end to any business dealings for a good while.

I wasn't trying hard enough. Here's a direct translation:

Actually, just before this match, behind the back screen where the audience can't see, Hokuto and Kandori (LLPW) collide

It was later revealed that there had been a fistfight (or rather, Kandori's one-sided assault?) .

According to Rossi Ogawa,

“Before the game, something happened in the waiting room. This time, the waiting rooms of each group were concentrated on one floor on the outfield side. As Hokuto carries several pamphlets under his arm ,
he runs into Kandori, who says, "Hey, it's been a long time..." and throws a gun at Hokuto, punching him in the body.
It was Hotta who stopped the furious Kandori, and Hokuto was stunned by the sudden event.This
was the "waiting room incident" reported by some . (*omitted) Hokuto vs. Eagle
was in a strange mood, with Kandori and Kazama in second.
Hokuto said, ``I know he was trying to crush Hokuto,'' but he took the pinfall win with two Northern Lights in a row.
The 'waiting room incident' and 'it's about to be crushed' are all things I heard from Hokuto after the match."

After all, all women are the best! Written by Rossi Ogawa Published September 30, 1995 First edition First printing Baseball magazine company P47-48

After All, Zenjo is Ichiban! By Rossy Ogawa, September 30, 1995, 1st edition, 1st printing, Baseball Magazine, P47-48

I guess the heat between Kandori and Yamada was legit. 

A slightly different translation:

Before the match, a happening occurred in the waiting room. This time, the waiting rooms for each team were concentrated on one floor on the outside side of the field. In the center of the room, there was a TV monitor, and the players of each organization were watching the matches without any sides.
Hokuto walked through there with several pamphlets under his arm, and happened to run into Katori. Jintori said, "Hey, it's been a long time..." and then he punched Hokuto in the body.
The punch hit a pamphlet, and Jantori slapped him further. Hotta was the one who controlled the irascible Kantori, and Hokuto was stunned by the suddenness of the incident.
This was the "waiting room incident" that was reported in some quarters. (*Omitted).
With such happenings, Hokuto vs. Eagle was in a strange mood. Kandori and Kazama were second fighters. They were saying, "Get him, get him, get him! Hold him down! were shouted.
Eagle's expression was strange. He is clearly determined to crush Hokuto. The angle of the powerbomb is also very bad! Hokuto said, "I could tell he was trying to crush me," and he gets the pinfall victory with two Northern Lights in a row.
The "waiting room incident" and "I knew he was going to crush me" were all things Hokuto told me after the match."

Looks like a Zenjo PR statement. Hokuto started the whole thing by talking trash in interviews about how Kandori 'ran away' from the tournament, after they had made a promise that they weren't going to talk about each other in the magazines anymore. Hokuto made LLPW's top star look like a coward and broke the agreement, which is why Rumi, Kandori and others were pissed off. Kandori met Hokuto backstage and threw the body punch. Kandori said to Hokuto, "You broke your promise, didn't you? You Bastard!". All the wrestlers were between them pretty fast, so Kandori took Hokuto to the bathroom and they had a chat, or Kandori gave a lecture more accurately, and Hokuto apologized. Kandori isn't one who would tell Eagle to 'crush' Hokuto, that's not how she operates, it wouldn't have been her place to do that and she'd already handled the situation. Rumi was the boss and might have, but that was a rumor, it was never confirmed and Eagle didn't do it anyway.

Edited by Evito-X

On 12/29/2022 at 2:16 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

at least it gave us this brief moment in time where Kandori and Yamada squared off in the ring. In an alternate  reality, I'm sure they met two or three times in singles because their exchanges in this match are so freaking good.

They met in another tag a few months earlier (09/04/1994 - Lynch has it listed: AJW SUPER HURRICANE Commercial Tape). I know @Evito-X (welcome!) reviewed it on JPI a while back but I don't know if it was ever uploaded to their YT.