Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-20-AJW-Big Egg Universe] Akira Hokuto vs Aja Kong

PeteF3

Can't watch all this stuff without getting to the finals. This may or may not be Hokuto's "retirement," which I know is bullshit but I'm not really clear on what the story with that is. Anyway, Aja really seems to have almost nothing left in the tank at this point, and they compensate by having her work a leg injury. Smart move, as it leads to a rare body-part-focused joshi match and Aja does a great job in selling it. However, the match still stands as a disappointing anticlimax. The finish probably could have been on the Yearbook just because it ended a show of such magnitude, but I can see why the match itself was left off. Hokuto, for whatever reason, seems to lack aggression when the opening is there to take Aja out, and a burned-out crowd (that was quiet to begin with) certainly doesn't help the atmosphere any. They throw a curveball at us by having Hokuto go "out" on top, which I certainly wasn't expecting. It's a nice moment for her, and she tearfully refuses Aja's WWWA title in another melodramatic post-match scene, but it certainly didn't come as the result of an inspiring performance. Lorefice's review has him incredulous that the card didn't end with Aja going over Manami, and I'm inclined to agree with him on that point. Jobbing your champion to a woman going into retirement (...right?) just smacks of being too clever by half.

• 1 year later...

Hokuto was planning to retire before later changing her mind. A rarity in wrestling I know. Her knees were in such awful shape that she worked a grand total of 3 shows in 1994. They were the 3 biggest AJW events of the year as well. It was miraculous that in the first two she managed to produce a MOTYC each time. Lightening didn't strike thrice at this show. All three of her matches were ropey with her performances well below par (opponents as well). The other four U*Top bouts on the Yearbook were pretty awesome mind you. Kong had amazing stamina for a competitor of her size but there were limits. I thought this was a total snoozefest. Hokuto eventually won after delivering a 5th NLB. Almost everyone in the tournament had the credibility of their finishers damaged.

Emotional scenes in the aftermath. Akira winning the tournament was basically a way of saying 'thank you' for all that she had done, and to go out on top if this was indeed the end. Thankfully her injuries healed to an extent, and the Dangerous Queen was far from done.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-20-AJW-Big Egg Universe] Akira Hokuto vs Aja Kong