Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-25-AJW-Legacy of Queens] Shinobu Kandori vs Kyoko Inoue

PeteF3

Kandori's entire persona is that of someone in a huge hurry who's stuck in a line at Subway behind a person taking 5 minutes to decide what type of cheese they want--just a perpetual grump. It makes for a great contrast with the eternally bubbly Kyoko. This is a marvelously well-built match, with Inoue really working outside of her comfort zone. There are some fantastic reversals and counters, like a more intense version of the Kawada/Taue CC match. After a few heart-rendering near-falls, we got a finish that I actually really liked, and was built to just as well as the rest of the match. Some of the most dramatic rope escapes you'll ever see, which sets up the winning submission pretty spectacularly. Kandori may have been involved in the two best joshi singles matches of the year.

This is just great, the best singles match not to have been included, and probably a Top 10 contender for Joshi. They mesh together really well for being so disparate, the crowd are going crazy every time Kyoko gets caught, and both women are just great here. The actual finishing spot I'm not too sure on, but this is a great little contrast to Kandori's matches with Hokuto. One of the more shocking omissions.

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This was a dream match, and it lived up to expectations. The severe contrast between the two characters was a lot of fun. There was also a big difference in wrestling styles, although that was true of Kandori vs anyone. The build was good rather than great, with a few lulls. The second half was high level and got better the longer it went. My rating kept on rising. The LLPW ace kept attempting submissions with Kyoko escaping them all. Shinobu was also able to counter her opponents offense and avoid the Niagara Driver. They sold exhaustion superbly to make the match seem longer than its timespan, in a good way. In the end a sweet scissored armbar got the job done. I love that move. Hash used it from time to time as well. This card may not have had a MOTYC but was jam packed with awesome wrestling.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-25-AJW-Legacy of Queens] Shinobu Kandori vs Kyoko Inoue
  • 3 years later...

What a wonderful match. Such a natural pro wrestling dynamic between these two and they execute it perfectly. My only criticism was that Kandori was a litttle too giving at times but the finishing stretch more than made up for that. Kyoko is one of those talents that took a while to click for me but I've realized that's because she brought a very unique skillset to her matches and now I love that. On first watch this felt like an under the radar classic. I'll be glad to revisit it down the line.