Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-09-19-FMW-3rd Anniversary Show] Megumi Kudo & Combat Toyoda vs Bull Nakano & Akira Hokuto

PeteF3

An historic occasion as the interpromotional era begins. Great crowd heat. Action packed bout, tightly paced and fun to watch. The FMW team didn't get a lot of change out of Nakano but were able to put up a decent fight. The clipped version on the comm made it look a more even bout than it actually was!

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I recently came across the handheld version of this match where the match is in full and I really enjoyed it.

I agree with Zenjo's comment about it being action packed and it had a fast pace but not like how FMW tape made it look like it was pure insanity throughout the match with Hokuto and Bull blitzing Kudo and Combat.

They cut a section after Hokuto had Kudo in the Romero Special where Hokuto put the Sasorigatame (scorpion death lock) on Kudo and held it on while Combat was throwing punches and kicks at Hokuto. Hokuto, sticking to her stubborn character, didn't break the hold as she tells Combat to bring it while still havig the hold on and the crowd erupts with "Hokuto" chants. Hokuto then takes Kudo and does a nasty backdrop to only get a two count cause she pulls Kudo up by her hair looking at Combat running to break up the pin. Then Bull comes in to put on the inverted Scorpion Death Lock facing the corner where Combat is standing to taunt her some more. Kudo then gets her hope spot as she does a wheelbarrow victory roll for two on Bull. Bull gets control after that and tags in Hokuto where they go into the sequence where you see on the FMW tape that Kudo goes to second rope off the Irish whip into the corner for a twisting body press on Hokuto.

I thought that sequence in the match turned the match into a good match to enjoy and something you don't get on the FMW commercial tape.

EDIT: I decided to edit together both the pro shot and the handheld so it's complete.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-09-19-FMW-3rd Anniversary Show] Megumi Kudo & Combat Toyoda vs Bull Nakano & Akira Hokuto
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

This match is a handheld from the FMW’s 3rd Anniversary Show, it was the third to last match of the show, it was proceeded by Grigory Verichev & Tarzan Goto (c) vs Brian Theodile & Leon Spinks for the tag team belts and Atsushi Onita vs Tiger Jeet Singh (c) for the heavyweight championship, the match we are discussing today was the best of the show by far. It was a clash between two of the best wrestlers of AJW against the best female wrestlers in the roster of FMW, this match was the first one featured in the Megumi Kudo Queen Of The Death Matches DVD that was a compilation of the best matches in the career of the best female wrestler in FMW history, in this DVD you can find the classic she had against her Combat Toyoda (her partner tonight) in 1996 that is my favourite deathmatch, even better that Terry Funk vs Atsushi Onita in my opinion, I highly recommend that DVD if you are interested in her career.

Now the match, during most of it the Zenjo (AJW) team of Bull and Hokuto were incredibly dominant which was predictable considering how over both of them were at the time, they are far superior wrestlers and they know it, the crowd knew it too, the crowd was pure fire in this one, I think they compensated the state of footage because as I said earlier this was a handheld so the quality isn’t the greatest. The only control segment that the FMW team had was when Combat Toyoda entered the ring and hit a clothesline to the corner then it was cut short by Bull Nakano, from there it was smooth sailing, they got the victory after hitting their finisher simultaneously for the three count ending the match.

It’s one of my favourite handhelds ever, I really like it and if you like 90’s joshi you’ll like it too, the only thing holding it back for some people is the quality of the footage but seriously give it a try.