Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-24-AJW] Aja Kong & Bison Kimura vs Akira Hokuto & Etsuko Mita

PeteF3

Both LCO members wore warpaint and lost a name for the evening. It was a real battle, high quality and very intense. So many fun moments as both teams tried to out-heel the other. Aja was Aja, Bison was beasty and Hokuto's offence looked devastating. Excellent performances from all 3. But what stood out was midcarder Mita delivering a breakthrough performance as she showed the great wrestler she would become. She was like a wild animal and showed no fear, looking like she belonged in the main event. It was super fun throughout and well structured. Kong wasn't going to get beaten, but there were times Bison got isolated and the upset was on.

I liked this one quite a bit better than the Toyota/Hasegawa match. The stuff I complained about re: lack of structure, and lack of differentiating attributes to each wrestler, wasn't here at all. LCO comes in with a definite gameplan (TM Jim Ross)--work over Bison, keep Aja out of the ring and preferably off the apron as much as possible. When Aja is in, try to double-team the shit out of her. They still cut a fast pace but the overarching strategy went into just about everything the workers did. A ton of near-falls towards the end when it really looks like the divide-and-conquer strategy is going to pay off, but Bison hangs on just long enough for Aja to recover from the piledriver on the floor and tag in, and then it seems as their final chance to win has slipped away. Unfortunately there's some really badly timed stuff in the closing stretch--Hokuto is supposed to counter a second-rope power bomb into a huracanrana that doesn't work well, and then it seems Mita gets knocked legitimately loopy on Kong's spinning backfist, leading to a stretched-out and rather woefully done finish with Aja pulling a Sabu and repeating a spot that didn't work the first time. I think I have this as the #3 joshi match of '92 that I've seen, behind the 2/3 fall Jungle Jack tag and Aja vs. Bull.

• 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-05-24-AJW] Aja Kong & Bison Kimura vs Akira Hokuto & Etsuko Mita
  • 6 months later...