Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-04-AJW-Korakuen Super Charge] Takako Inoue & Mariko Yoshida vs Debbie Malenko & Sakie Hasegawa

PeteF3

I don't know which of these two I saw since the Youtube video didn't provide a date. Ten minutes shown with a highlight of Malenko doing an exploder/t-bone suplex off the top turnbuckle, if that helps. Fun look at what the AJW mid-carders were doing--they certainly don't hold back. Hasegawa works as the underdog/junior member role again and Debbie, someone I've never seen before, looks very impressive. They build nicely to a hot closing stretch in the time given (though I understand the AJW editors were the most skilled "match clippers" ever in terms of not making it look like you missed anything). This is another tag hurt by a horribly timed finish, with the referee arbitrarily stopping a count at two and signaling that a comatose Hasegawa got her shoulder up. That's an Angel Hernandez-level bad call.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's clipped, although that probably didn't make a huge difference in this case. The AJW TV clipping was so expertly done that it would often pass unnoticed. High energy and youthful exuberance, with exciting action all the way. Hard hitting as well. Hasegawa and Malenko had great chemistry, trying out new double team manoeuvres and copying moves that their partner had taught them. Communicating through the language of wrestling if they couldn't find the words. Sloppy at times, but plenty of fun.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-01-04-AJW-Korakuen Super Charge] Takako Inoue & Mariko Yoshida vs Debbie Malenko & Sakie Hasegawa
  • 3 years later...

To clear up some confusion, these teams had two matches in 1992. The first on January 5th (not on the 4th) and the second on April 25th. PeteF's post is actually describing the April match.

This is a really exciting and fast-paced match. Does a great job of putting over Debbie, I loved how panicked the announcers sounded when she put Takako in that leg lock, and Takako's desperation to get out was great. Only downside really is an unfortunate botch when Debbie & Sakie attempted a double team dive thing and it messed up the flow. ***3/4

• 1 year later...