Pro Wrestling Only

The European Title

JerryvonKramer

Did it ever mean anything? Could it ever mean anything if they ever brought it back?

Why couldn't the European Title get over like the NWA TV title or the old National title when Dusty or Tully had it?

http://wrestlechat.net/photo-speculation-that-rusev-lana-are-bringing-back-an-old-wwe-title-soon/

Do you have any memories of the European title?

The last thing WWE needs right now is another title belt when they can't make the tag team, IC or US categories seem important. The European Title would simply compound an existing problem where they think a program has interest because hardware gets moved back and forth.

My biggest memory is Al Snow coming out to a different city each week. I think a WWE TV Title that's defended every week with a ten minute time limit is infinitely more valuable to them. I doubt a European Title would bump foreign tours all that much.

I am so on board with this. I also think they should bring back time limits in general.

My biggest memory is Al Snow coming out to a different city each week.

That was D-Lo.

The Euro title never meant anything. It's been a one match (Owen vs Bulldog in Germany) title.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Al Snow. He came out to several themed European stereotypes or whatever.

That was D-Lo.

The Euro title never meant anything. It's been a one match (Owen vs Bulldog in Germany) title.

Nah, I'm pretty sure that was Al Snow. He came out to several themed European stereotypes or whatever.

He may have, but D-Lo did it first.

I don't think that they're bringing it back as an actual title, but that Rusev will just pull the signature heel move of turning the US title belt into one for his own country, so it makes no sense to use the European title except for weird nostalgia purposes because Russia has as much enmity with the EU as they do the US.

But if they bring it back and Lana unilaterally declares that he's also the European champ, and he wears both belts, that would be great. "RUSEV HAS TAKEN CONTROL OF NATO, MAGGLE!"

It never meant anything. It started out as a vanity belt for Davey Boy Smith to wear and became a complete joke once Shawn got his hands on it.

yea this

i did love d-lo's gimmick with it, though, probably my favorite thing involving that belt. "From Chicago, Illinois, but currently claiming residence in Helsinki, Finland..."

i think the peak of importance for it was actually x-pac's reign prior to the shane mcmahon match. it was at least significant enough to make people go "wait, GANGREL is getting a title shot? WTF???" nowadays we don't bat an eye at anybody even WINNING a secondary title.

That was D-Lo.

Yeah, for Greece he came out as John Travolta in Grease.

I don't think that they're bringing it back as an actual title, but that Rusev will just pull the signature heel move of turning the US title belt into one for his own country, so it makes no sense to use the European title except for weird nostalgia purposes because Russia has as much enmity with the EU as they do the US.

This one's easy. "Rusev recognizes that his home country of Bulgaria [that's acknowledged, right?] was much better off under the guidance of glorious Russia--just like Poland, Hungary, Romania, Lithuania, Germany! It was only through decadence and deception that the West escaped the Motherland's grasp! We declare Rusev the European champion, and he will unite Europe in a new birth of power!" Etc.

They haven't acknowledged Bulgaria in a while but he is still billed as "NOW living in Moscow", and I can't remember them ever actually calling him a Russian, just doing the "hero of Russia" stuff instead.

Him having both belts, one completely superfluously, is what I really love. He's just the European champ now, too, deal with it.

The European title meant nothing though. It never had any value besides being a title.

Not entirely true. When Shawn beat Davey for the belt it was initially treated as a big deal and more importantly it felt like a big deal. Shawn would go on to refer to the belt as a joke though and although there were a few more highlights that come to mind, it never reached those highs again. But I'd put forth the argument that Shawn taking the belt from Davey meant more than if Shawn had simply beat Davey. It was the image of Shawn being carried off holding that belt in the air being covered in litter which stuck in most minds...

D-Lo was also EuroContinental champ in '99 for about a month, before Angle won them and called himself that. D-Lo's definitely a contender for "least memorable wrestler of the era" despite being a huge fat dude who was really mobile. The Droz accident would be what takes him out of that consideration, which is kinda sad.

I disagree about D'Lo being the least memorable. He's probably one of the people who benefited the most from Russo's tenure as head writer, because Russo always made sure that the mid carders had something going on too. From 1997 when he was the only NOD member that Farroq didn't shitcan until 2000, he was on TV and in some sort of angle on a pretty regular basis.

Outside of Bulldog/Owen, I thought the belt meant the most from the X-Pac/D-Lo feud in 1998 through Shane winning in at WM15. D-Lo beating Triple H on Raw for the belt was a cool upset and him and X-Pac really seemed to care about the title as they feuded. Eddie had a decent reign with it in 2000 too.

Regal tried to make it mean something when he showed up in 2000, but it never really meant as much.

I have great memories of the European title, chiefly because my second headlong descent into wrestling came during the Attitude Era and even if it was a nothing belt that didn't seem to matter much, I was in that glorious 14-16 period where you think you are a massive smark because you have bought a ton of ECW bootlegs down the Market and thought I was the smartest fan out but looking back I was the biggest mark imaginable... all you had to do was give someone a great theme tune and a preposterous finisher and I was DOWN. So the European title seemed to matter a lot because I didn't know any better, and by the time Angle got it I was proper into it.

Pure nostalgia though, I hate a lot of that eras stuff when I rewatch.