Photo

Kiyoshi Tamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba (UWFI vs WAR 05/27/96)

UWFI WAR May 27 Kiyoshi Tamura Kazushi Sakuraba Budokan Hall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8478 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

I hate UWF-i like there's no tomorrow, but IIRC this is Tamura's final match before giving them the big finger. He was toying with the idea of heading to Pancrase and you can see how heavily influenced both these guys were by what was happening with that fed. Really beautiful matwork in this match.

#2 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8478 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Some gorgeous matwork for sure, though those of you who like a match that builds and builds aren't going to care for this, as these two are so evenly matched that only 1 point is taken the entire way. Blink-and-you'll-miss it finish as Tamura executes a great cross armbreaker takedown for the submission. Looking forward to seeing what Tamura brings to the table in RINGS.

#3 Rah

Rah
  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Has this match completely slipped under the radar? I don't ever see anyone giving it much love, when they talk about UWFi but it's certainly up there in terms of pure exhibition greatness.

The opening few minutes were art. Usually the initial feeling out process in matches is a paint-by-numbers, rote-affair but these two produced some of the finest matwork I've ever seen. The speed at which they transitioned between holds was mind-boggling. I agree that this never really created a narrative arc in its build, but the way in which they presented each other as equals added a foil of danger to their moves. Each hold was fought for or scrambled out of as if the ending could happen at any moment (it did!). An Ankle Lock being responded with an immediately swift kick to the knee was a brilliant counter and a welcome break from the typical overdramatic "will he tap?" segment one's used to when watching Kurt Angle.

Phenomenal match!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users