Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-12-29-WCW-Starrcade '96] Chris Benoit vs Jeff Jarrett

PeteF3

Struck me as being part of that strong four match opener that really gave a snapshot in time of how wide open WCW was right then:

* two juniors/cruisers matches

* womens match

* two smaller heavies getting a push

Then the card transitioned into the "drawing" section:

* current pushed draws Hall & Nash / DDP

* two guys who keep getting push on top despite never taking off (Lex/Giant)

* icons from another era holding down the top in Hogan and Piper

Always thought Jeffey-Benoit was a pretty good match, and a good comp for Jeffey-Shawn which will end up on the comp for its year.

John

• 2 months later...

I'd never seen this before, I guess because by the time I started to come around on Jarrett I wasn't interested in watching Benoit matches. They have very good chemistry together, both here and in their Nitro match from November. Jarrett shows a lot of intensity here and shows off some moves that I don't think were part of his usual arsenal. That said, he's not very likeable as a face. Ric Flair can strut because he's won the world title someteen times. Even to people familiar with him from the WWF, Jarrett's not really good enough to act that cocky and get away with it.

The finish is amazing in that at least four people look like idiots (Konnan, Morrus, Jarrett, and Anderson, and you could argue for Benoit and Mark Curtis). Booking referee distractions in no-DQ matches generally annoys me, too, but I don't know if it actually was no-DQ or if Tony said that earlier just to cover for Curtis seeing Woman rake Jarrett's eyes. I should also mention that, between Jarrett's goofy suspenders (always a bad look, but white and gray with gold boots is a uniquely bad color combo) and Benoit's crotchstain tights, two of my least favorite wrestling outfits are on full display in this one.

Chris Benoit vs Jeff Jarrett - WCW Starrcade 1996

I really portions of this and other times felt really lukewarm. It was just a very uneven match. Before I get into face/heel dynamics, there were times that I thought this would break loose in a nasty Memphis brawl and everytime I thought they were really going to let go, they restrained themselves and it was so frustrating. Jarrett had some great brawls against the Moondogs in Memphis and others I am sure. Benoit definitely does well when he is in a fight! Everybody always says Jarrett is not very likeable, but Benoit was a fucking great prick in this match and I think Jarrett had some really good fired up spots in this. Then they would flip flop back to Jarrett as the unworthy heel and Benoit as the face asskicker. It was just so confusing. I think everybody has been so conditioned into thinking Jarrett is unlikeable that they prefer him as a heel, but in the ring I think he is a better babyface. When Benoit was smacking the back of the head, I was kinda pissed at first. He seemed like such a bully and when Jarrett popped up and hit him with that right I loved it. I enjoyed Jarrett walking on his back and strutting, but damn I wanted a fight. Again, we get the double leg takedowns and the fists, but then it is back to standard pro wrestling. These two had a great brawl in them. I loved the Woman grabbing Jarrett's arm spot and then Benoit decking him in the back of the head. Dusty just nails it "Don't he know you never stop when a pretty lady stops you on the corner. Thats how you get whacked in the back of the head, baby." Benoit hits the chinlock, but is using the ropes. Jarrett fires back up and is looking for the figure-4, but Woman claws him in the face. Then there is a crazy overbooked finish, which sees Konnan & Hugh Morris trying to kidnap Woman, Sullivan blasting a wooden chair over Benoit's head and AA dropping Jarrett with a DDT. Jarrett wins techincally, but everyone looks like shit. Benoit/Sullivan brawl could have happened afterwards. Jarrett kept getting fucked by the booking in these companies; he actually could have been a bigger deal. By the time, he did, he forgot what good wrestling was and was brainwashed by the Evil One (Vince Russo). ***

• 2 months later...

"When you get dropped on the top rope like that, that'th gunna hurt yo' fraternizin' in Paris, eef you weell!"

This was pretty good with both guys actually working out of their comfort zone: Jarrett in working a stiff, realistic, Japanese-style brawl and Benoit getting to show off some character work, having finally been given an actual sports-entertainment storyline with Woman and Sullivan. I didn't have a problem with the pacing but the crowd reactions did hurt this once again--this is not a pro-Jarrett crowd, hometown or not, but they're not really high on Benoit either. And with neither man really taking a face or heel role (until Jarrett works underneath in the sleeper, I guess) the crowd is sort of into the action but not really emotionally invested in a winner. Overbooked finish but the timing is pretty spot-on despite all the moving parts, so I have to credit everyone involved for that, I guess. It's still a good match with both guys turning in fine performances, though with Benoit getting no benefit of the doubt this wasn't really Yearbook-essential.

Gregor forgot to mention that in addition to all the wrestlers looking like idiots, Mean Gene has three different people all blow him off for a post-match interview in the span of 15 seconds.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-12-29-WCW-Starrcade '96] Chris Benoit vs Jeff Jarrett