Photo

Antonio Inoki vs Dory Funk Jr. (JWA 12/02/69)

JWA December 2 Antonio Inoki Dory Funk Jr.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 js50000

js50000
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:29 PM

12/2/69 Antonio Inoki vs. Dory Funk Jr. Inoki makes his 1st challenge for the NWA World Title. Harley Race riles the crowd up to the point where they're throwing stuff at the ring, 

#2 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:12 PM

This exceeded my expectations. Dory heeling it up was unique to see and i thought he did a good job of it. Inoki brought a pace to it that his matches often lack. Weird to have a two out of three falls match go an hour without a single fall though. ***3/4

#3 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1344 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Well, this was one old school epic you don't need to see. The opening grappling is a lot of fun with Dory working reverse Toe hold variations. Not a hold you can do a ton with but they find a few cool ways in and out of it. After a while Dory stops working the leg and starts working the arm a bit. Some blatant cheating from Dory's seconds going on too. Dory wrenching the fingers was interesting, but he just couldn't decide what to do that night. Couldn't decide if he wanted to work the arm or leg, couldn't decide if he wanted to work holds or brawl, if he wanted to wrestle clean or get heat. At one point Dory hits a really nice back suplex and doesn't even go for a cover. Another point Inoki is firing up and hitting big dropkicks but Dory cuts him off quickly. Later hits some dropkicks of his own. What were you thinking, Dory Funk Jr.? You can shit on Inoki for not theatratically selling the leg and arm work but atleast Inoki's facial expressions and body language told some kind of progression in the match. With Dory you have no idea if you are 55 minutes or 15 minutes into a match. I was yelling to just put on the Spinning Toe Hold when he started some opening match legwork in the last 10 minutes. This match was quite the mixed bag indeed. After the pretty drab 2nd third they move into some good nearfalls and I was popping for Inoki's surprise moves (Suplex, Airplane Spin outta nowhere) just cause I wanted him to end the damn match. Inoki can fire up the pace good and it's not rocket science to have a good match with him, but once again I ended up largely irritated with the Doryisms here.

#4 TheBestThereNeverWillBe

TheBestThereNeverWillBe
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

re-up the link please!!!

#5 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1344 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:59 AM

It's still on Ditch's site.

#6 TheBestThereNeverWillBe

TheBestThereNeverWillBe
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

forgive my ignorance, but what is Ditch's site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users