Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Match in WWE History?

Grimmas

Bret/HBK should be up there as a top match.

I hope you are not talking about their WM12 match? My top 100 WWE matches of all time DO NOT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:

HBK/Taker WM25

HBK/Hart WM12

Razor/HBK WM10

I just see too many faults with all those matches that don't make them enjoyable outside of the first watch (and even then I didn't enjoy the WM25 match). HBK and Taker cosplaying an ROH Edwards/Richards match did nothing for me. The forced epic? No thank you!

What was so bad with the Iron man match? I loved it as a kid and still fondly enjoy the match when I rewatched it 2 years ago. Or is it the fact that it went 60 minutes, went to a draw and then continued for another 2 mins because no one scored a decision?

Miles better than the Rock/HHH match from Judgment Day as there was too many decisions for my liking when they started getting decisions over basic moves. A prime example of a Iron man match where multiple decisions happened that was enjoyable was Rude/Steamboat but thats a WCW match.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bless those that think WM26>WM25 for Taker vs Michaels. Watched them back to back one, which was a first viewing for both, and the 26 one played off so much better for me. Pretty much steals a routine from the first match and then adds to it. PLUS, I don't need to see Taker almost die on a dive.

Taker killing himself on the dive is the main reason the WM25 match is great. This was during the period when he was still viewed as invincible, so the shock from watching it live and legit wondering if he might have seriously injured himself was incredible. The timing of the spot was also perfect, capping off the tension-building first half of the match and bridging into the finishing stretch. It created a sense that anything could happen, which carried over into every near fall afterwards and gave the match a sense of drama that few matches following its "self-conscious epic" formula achieve.

Kurt Angle vs Steve Austin at Summerslam 2001 always used to be my pick, although it has been some time since I watched it last. As close to a perfect match as they have run. Austin as the nasty, unhinged heel and Angle playing the fiery underdog, in trouble from the start but always roaring back, covered in blood and showing incredible guts only to have the belt ripped away from him by a desperate Austin attacking all the referees. One of the only times a non finish has felt appropriate and useful, building up more heat for the eventual payoff a month later.

Those punches to Angle as he is bleeding and prone against the apron are some of the best and most realistic in WWF history, he must have been potatoing him.

Bless those that think WM26>WM25 for Taker vs Michaels. Watched them back to back one, which was a first viewing for both, and the 26 one played off so much better for me. Pretty much steals a routine from the first match and then adds to it. PLUS, I don't need to see Taker almost die on a dive.

Taker killing himself on the dive is the main reason the WM25 match is great. This was during the period when he was still viewed as invincible, so the shock from watching it live and legit wondering if he might have seriously injured himself was incredible. The timing of the spot was also perfect, capping off the tension-building first half of the match and bridging into the finishing stretch. It created a sense that anything could happen, which carried over into every near fall afterwards and gave the match a sense of drama that few matches following its "self-conscious epic" formula achieve.

Well said and agreed. The near falls in that match were some of the closest ever at that point to seeming like the Streak might really end. Plus they went 30 minutes which was Taker's longest Mania match at that point and it stood out a lot on that show. The drama added tons to the match.

I actually much preferred their rematch at Unforgiven. Told the same story, but I thought it was executed much better, and really cemented Angle as a guy who belonged in the ring with the top guys.

Id probably say the Summerslam 2001 match was miles better than the rematch. Its kinda odd in a way that just because Austin is the heel and Angle is the face that Kurt kicks out of not one, but 3 Stunners which is something you would never see when Austin was the face.

I'm not including anything from the 70's or 80 pre-Hogan era because I have a lot of rewatching to do before I'm comfortable putting those on any type of list.

* 6/26/84 Sgt. Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik (MSG)

Boot Camp blow off match with a ton of heat, lots of big bumping from both guys, and the best WWF brawling until Austin/Rock.

* Rick Rude vs. Ultimate Warrior (SummerSlam '89)

This is probably a candidate for a rewatch but when DVDVR started the 80's project with the WWF, this stuck out as something special, especially in the Hogan era. At one time, I think this was thought of as arguably Rude's best WWF match.

* Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart (Survivor Series '96)
* Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart (Wrestle Mania 13)

Both of these are very good, with the WrestleMania match holding up a lot better than I remembered when I last saw it as part of the 1997 Yearbook. Survivor Series is much more of a technical match but also doesn't have the heat or storyline that the WrestleMania match has. Almost a toss up of which one would make my final list.

* Steve Austin vs. Dude Love (Over the Edge '98)
This was not something I thought much for many years but seeing it play out in the context of the 1998 yearbook, this is well booked, has some good work from both guys, with Austin almost being as crazy of a bumper as Foley, and good heat considering that Foley really didn't get over once and for all until early 1999.

* Steve Austin vs. Rock (WrestleMania 15)
* Steve Austin vs. Rock (Backlash '99)

These two matches, along with their 11/16/98 RAW match encapsulate the good of the Attitude Era. These matches are Memphis on steroids: the punches aren't as good but you have terrific heat, both guys working extremely hard with some bumps that neither should be doing, especially Austin, and the gimmicked nearfalls to go along with the regular move nearfalls.

* Steve Austin vs. Rock (WrestleMania 17)

I'm in the minority in liking this less than the 1999 matches but it is still excellent in its own right. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wonder if this would be even better today without the Austin heel turn. The build to the match was Austin needed this win more than anything and they could have achieved that equally as well by just upping the stakes with a few more nearfalls and kick out's.

* Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Kurt Angle (Summerslam '02)

This is one of Rey's best matches in the WWE and my favorite Kurt Angle match ever, by a wide margin. This match could have been worked in a lot of different time periods: 1993 AAA, 1999 CMLL Lightning Match, 1997 WCW, etc.

* Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Jamie Noble (5/1/04 - Velocity)

Best 10 minute WWE match ever? Noble's best singles match. He never got the chance to work a memorable singles match in WCW (ala the Helms/Chavo PPV matches) and his ROH stuff was all disappointing.

* Eddy Guerrero vs. John Bradhsaw Layfield (Judgement Day '04)
I've written a lot about this in the past and when the WWE Network launched last year, I revisited this and it had lost nothing. Top 5 WWE match of all time candidate.

* CM Punk vs. John Cena (Money in the Bank 2011)

Maybe the best WWE match of the 2010-present. This reinvigorated my wrestling watching a little and completely helped bring back my brother.

* Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena (Backlash 2012)

Is this the best mixed match in US history? It certainly has the same vibe of the great Maeda vs. Neilsen 1986 mixed match in New Japan. Not the same dynamic since Cena has never been positioned as a shooter like Maeda, but similiar in style, especially for their time periods and promotions.

* CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar (Summerslam 2013)
* Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena (Summerslam 2013)

Two excellent matches that are able to do different things in an era of wrestling where everything is the same (WWE style or Indy style - move after move after move after move until we finally get over).

* Daniel Bryan vs. HHH (WrestleMania 30)

The best HHH match ever and blows his heralded 2000-2002 work out of the water. Unselfish performance would automatically make this better than the early 2000's matches, but add in some legitimately good work with bumps, moves, and heat and you have a classic modern day moment for the WWE, regardless of their failure to capitalize on it to the fullest.

Brock/Cena at Extreme Rules would be extremely high up there for me. Such an innovative match for modern WWE standards.

But I would easily give the number 1 spot to Austin/Rock @ 17. I don't even have to think about it. It's the best match I have ever seen or will ever see. I think it's as close to a perfect match for my tastes as I can possibly imagine. They told the story they wanted to tell absolutely brilliantly. It was a heated and intense as a match could possibly be. Austin's decent from "guy who wants to win really badly" to "most sadistic fucker that's ever stepped foot in a WWF ring" lends itself to the greatest single performance I've ever seen from a wrestler. And Rock is fantastic too. They both bump around. Both bleed. Amazing psychology. I think the finish is perfect. The turn made sense storyline wise. The crowd is as hot as humanly possible. The prematch video promo is the best in history.

I could probably write a 100 page book on this match and how much I love it. I haven't even watched it in over a year because it ruins wrestling for me.

I actually much preferred their rematch at Unforgiven. Told the same story

It didn't tell the same story at all - it was based around Austin working on the injured neck and trying for the piledriver to end things once and for all. The Summerslam is much more frenetic and spontaneous and exciting, and the work in general is a lot crisper and fluid.

I'm wary of deeming recent stuff "classic" or among "the best", but I'd agree that Bryan-Cena and Bryan-HHH deserve to be in the conversation. Nuclear heat for the title win and angle, and the spectacle of Hunter hitting his career peak in the opening match of Mania 30 while he was more or less retired is really something. Kind of a similar deal to Austin at Mania 19 where a big star goes out on a high note (and yes I know he worked those Shield-Evolution matches, but those were good too).

I like WM 26 Shawn/Taker better than 25. Felt like more of a fight to me and more focus on a body part selling. I also genuinely thought the ending was in question too which is a component for me in evaluating Taker matches.

I didn't realize we're in the same boat here. Undertaker selling the hip was real good. Like you said - made the ending a little in doubt.

I'm not including anything from the 70's or 80 pre-Hogan era because I have a lot of rewatching to do before I'm comfortable putting those on any type of list.

* 6/26/84 Sgt. Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik (MSG)

Boot Camp blow off match with a ton of heat, lots of big bumping from both guys, and the best WWF brawling until Austin/Rock.

* Rick Rude vs. Ultimate Warrior (SummerSlam '89)

This is probably a candidate for a rewatch but when DVDVR started the 80's project with the WWF, this stuck out as something special, especially in the Hogan era. At one time, I think this was thought of as arguably Rude's best WWF match.

* Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart (Survivor Series '96)

* Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart (Wrestle Mania 13)

Both of these are very good, with the WrestleMania match holding up a lot better than I remembered when I last saw it as part of the 1997 Yearbook. Survivor Series is much more of a technical match but also doesn't have the heat or storyline that the WrestleMania match has. Almost a toss up of which one would make my final list.

* Steve Austin vs. Dude Love (Over the Edge '98)

This was not something I thought much for many years but seeing it play out in the context of the 1998 yearbook, this is well booked, has some good work from both guys, with Austin almost being as crazy of a bumper as Foley, and good heat considering that Foley really didn't get over once and for all until early 1999.

* Steve Austin vs. Rock (WrestleMania 15)

* Steve Austin vs. Rock (Backlash '99)

These two matches, along with their 11/16/98 RAW match encapsulate the good of the Attitude Era. These matches are Memphis on steroids: the punches aren't as good but you have terrific heat, both guys working extremely hard with some bumps that neither should be doing, especially Austin, and the gimmicked nearfalls to go along with the regular move nearfalls.

* Steve Austin vs. Rock (WrestleMania 17)

I'm in the minority in liking this less than the 1999 matches but it is still excellent in its own right. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wonder if this would be even better today without the Austin heel turn. The build to the match was Austin needed this win more than anything and they could have achieved that equally as well by just upping the stakes with a few more nearfalls and kick out's.

* Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Kurt Angle (Summerslam '02)

This is one of Rey's best matches in the WWE and my favorite Kurt Angle match ever, by a wide margin. This match could have been worked in a lot of different time periods: 1993 AAA, 1999 CMLL Lightning Match, 1997 WCW, etc.

* Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Jamie Noble (5/1/04 - Velocity)

Best 10 minute WWE match ever? Noble's best singles match. He never got the chance to work a memorable singles match in WCW (ala the Helms/Chavo PPV matches) and his ROH stuff was all disappointing.

* Eddy Guerrero vs. John Bradhsaw Layfield (Judgement Day '04)

I've written a lot about this in the past and when the WWE Network launched last year, I revisited this and it had lost nothing. Top 5 WWE match of all time candidate.

* CM Punk vs. John Cena (Money in the Bank 2011)

Maybe the best WWE match of the 2010-present. This reinvigorated my wrestling watching a little and completely helped bring back my brother.

* Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena (Backlash 2012)

Is this the best mixed match in US history? It certainly has the same vibe of the great Maeda vs. Neilsen 1986 mixed match in New Japan. Not the same dynamic since Cena has never been positioned as a shooter like Maeda, but similiar in style, especially for their time periods and promotions.

* CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar (Summerslam 2013)

* Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena (Summerslam 2013)

Two excellent matches that are able to do different things in an era of wrestling where everything is the same (WWE style or Indy style - move after move after move after move until we finally get over).

* Daniel Bryan vs. HHH (WrestleMania 30)

The best HHH match ever and blows his heralded 2000-2002 work out of the water. Unselfish performance would automatically make this better than the early 2000's matches, but add in some legitimately good work with bumps, moves, and heat and you have a classic modern day moment for the WWE, regardless of their failure to capitalize on it to the fullest.

All Noble's ROH work was disappointing? It's been years - probably 2005-06 - since I watched it, but I remember enjoying it loads....

Lot of stuff in here I agree with to varying degrees.

I would throw in Randy Savage Vs Bret Hart SNME 11/28/87

A match I consider to be more or less perfect bell to bell.

Seems a shame why these two never clashed on PPV.

If I was Vince I would have had Bret/Savage for Mania 10.

Yeah, their one match really gave me everything I'd want from these two in a small dose, but its a lost opportunity that they never had a longer, feature bout. Its a great bit of chemistry between the two with Bret as the cool and collected merciless heel and Macho as the fiery babyface that can sell like a champ. The outside the ring dynamics of Neidhart and Hart / Elizabeth are also fairly compelling for me. Good menace to distract the babyface and Macho can pretty effortlessly play the paranoid rubbernecker to maximum effect.

I remember Bret's book mentioning a WWF Title defense against Savage in, maybe, Japan? The agent came up to them and gave them a quick finish - "Bret wins with so-and-so" - and no other details, Randy was insulted because he felt he was being treated like a jobber. Bret consoled him and said (I'm paraphrasing) "let's show them what we can do out there." I think it ended up being 30+ minutes, but I could be misremembering what I read. I wonder if any tape exists of that match. That incident is never really touched upon as another potential reason why Savage left the WWF, but it wouldn't surprise me if he held onto that.

I remember Bret's book mentioning a WWF Title defense against Savage in, maybe, Japan? The agent came up to them and gave them a quick finish - "Bret wins with so-and-so" - and Randy was insulted because he felt he was being treated like a jobber. Bret consoled him and said (I'm paraphrasing) "let's show them what we can do out there." I think it ended up being 30+ minutes, but I could be misremembering what I read. I wonder if any tape exists of that match. That incident is never really touched upon, but it could be another reason why Savage left the WWF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKL_CYbl7bE

It happened and was filmed.

I know they couldnt have sold it during Macho's run as World Champion because Bret was a tag team guy.

I remember the time I phoned the WWF hotline in the 1990s and they were talking about Bret & Macho wrestling in Japan over the belt. Wasted opportunity they could have done this on a TV taping for broadcast.

I actually much preferred their rematch at Unforgiven. Told the same story

It didn't tell the same story at all - it was based around Austin working on the injured neck and trying for the piledriver to end things once and for all. The Summerslam is much more frenetic and spontaneous and exciting, and the work in general is a lot crisper and fluid.

Austin changing his plan of attack does not change the story. The story was still that of Austin the cowardly heel doing whatever he can to keep his title, while the babyface Angle is fighting against odds and history to prove he belongs in the ring with a guy like Austin. And the work in the rematch is far, far superior, in execution and application.

The story with Savage-Bret was just that they wanted to have a classic match, but the road agents told them it just wasn't going to be that way because they weren't going to get much time. Poor Savage could not catch a break at this time to show that he could still go. A shame because I think Savage as the WWF's Babe Ruth - especially when surrounded by young guys who would challenge him to keep up - had great potential.

The story with Savage-Bret was just that they wanted to have a classic match, but the road agents told them it just wasn't going to be that way because they weren't going to get much time. Poor Savage could not catch a break at this time to show that he could still go. A shame because I think Savage as the WWF's Babe Ruth - especially when surrounded by young guys who would challenge him to keep up - had great potential.

Yeah. He could show in WCW in 95 he could still go. They really should have booked him better in WWF and he would have stayed. When you look at Mania 10 which was 10 years in the making as the New generation of WWF Stars were breaking in how cool would it have been if the leader of that Generation Bret clashed with the leader of the old Gen Macho in a epic encounter at Wrestlemania 10.

Considering Backlund got put back in the main event scene in 94 anythings possible. Vince even hinted on Raw that if Randy could beat Yoko for the belt that he would fight Luger at Mania and then Bret. Personally I would have done the title change right there and then on Raw as its the better choice.