Pro Wrestling Only

PWO-PTBN Roundtable - The 100 Best Matches to See Before You Die

Grimmas

roundtable.jpg

http://placetobenation.com/pwo-ptbn-roundtable-the-100-best-matches-to-see-before-you-die-1-of-5/

Part 1 of 5!

Join Steven Graham (Pro-Wrestling Super Show), Pete (Titans of Wrestling), Chad (Where The Big Boys Play) & Charles (Wrestling with The Past)as they have a roundtable discussion on wwe.com’s list “The 100 Best Matches to See Before You Die”. On the first part of five, we break down matches 100 to 81 on the list.

Go to www.wwe.com/classics/100-best-matches to see the full list.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Flair-Luger synopsis got me so enraged, I left a comment about how awesome Luger is and that they suck for perpetuating such lies. :)

I really like this podcast a lot so far. My only big disagreement is that I think Goldberg/DDP is a slam dunk pick for this list. DDP was just on fire in 1998. It slips under the radar, but DDP main evented five straight WCW PPVs from Bash at the Beach through WWIII '98. I have become a HUGE retroactive DDP fan. I remember liking him alright as a kid, but I really, really like him now.

Also, I don't think this is totally in order per se. I think this 100 matches you should see before you die. I could be wrong.

The Spring Stampede tag team match is considered more famous in the WWE canon. It gets mentioned more than the Slamboree match and made the original Foley DVD set. I think Foley likes the Spring Stampede match more and that's all it comes down to. It would be an interesting question to pose to Cactus.

I will defend Yellow Dog until my dying breath. :) Yes, the Pillman start is the best start to any Wargames. He is madder than a hornet.

La Parka was definitely over, but I don't know if he could have been a main eventer. He definitely could have been a top upper midcard babyface act or top level tag team. Souled Out 1998 he gets a huge pop. Psicosis seemed to adapt to the American style better than anyone besides Rey. Ultimo Dragon's way of adapting seemed to be by packing in more offense than ever before and neglecting selling whereever possible.

http://placetobenation.com/pwo-ptbn-roundtable-top-100-matches-on-the-wwe-network-2-of-5/

Join Steven Graham (Pro-Wrestling Super Show), Pete (Titans of Wrestling), Chad (Where The Big Boys Play) & Charles (Wrestling with The Past)as they have a roundtable discussion on wwe.com’s list “The 100 Best Matches to See Before You Die”. On the second part of five, we break down matches 80 to 61 on the list.

Go to www.wwe.com/classics/100-best-matches to see the full list.

Ok, 50 minutes in and I have questions.

Loss, Starrcade 83 'wrestling stopped being what it was and started being what it is'. Would you pinpoint the change to that night? No big event in Texas or the Northeast prior to that? What about the first WrestleMania? Or a big event between those two dates? It sounded like it was a comment to which you've given some thought, I'd love to hear you elaborate.

Agree that the match itself is really dull and a bit of a misfire. I first saw it in 1994 and my 16 year old self tried to find something to like in it. You said it's a shame if people assume that's what 1983 wrestling was like. It's also a shame if anybody thinks Flair and Race haven't put together better matches than that.

Watched Sheamus-Bryan again before Christmas and agree that it's superb, and a real shame that this and other modern day greats aren't highlighted as much as they should be.

Don't disagree about the general indifference to Money in the Bank, but I think 2005 was the best one.

I think y'all were very hard on Steamboat-Austin. Not their finest hour together, but a rock solid, entertaining match all the same.

Agree that Austin-HHH Feb 2001 doesn't hold up well - just a chore to get through. Chad, have Scott and Justin murdered you yet?

And Bryan-Ziggler deserves a bit more love. It's a great example of Bryan walking out to a polite response and then getting himself and the match over before it's all said and done.

Enjoying this series, keep 'em coming.

I think y'all were very hard on Steamboat-Austin. Not their finest hour together, but a rock solid, entertaining match all the same.

Agree that Austin-HHH Feb 2001 doesn't hold up well - just a chore to get through. Chad, have Scott and Justin murdered you yet?

And Bryan-Ziggler deserves a bit more love. It's a great example of Bryan walking out to a polite response and then getting himself and the match over before it's all said and done.

Enjoying this series, keep 'em coming.

I always want to like Steamboat-Austin more than I do. Not a bad match per say but uneven to me and no where near a top 100. There is also better choices from these two guys together on the network.

We have plenty of WWE sacred cows coming up. Some we praise, others gets skewed like crazy. I do hope we are able to expound upon why we either like/dislike the respective matches.

Bryan vs. Ziggler is a good opener but again no where near a top 100 and Ziggler was pretty bad on offense in this match when he was in control.

Thanks for listening.

My favorite opponents for the MX are the Fantastics. Though I do like RNRs Wrestlewar 90 match more than any MX/Fans match. So it is a toss up.

Love the Sheamus/Daniel Bryan match! I am a huge Sheamus fan and it is easy to point to good and great Sheamus matches, but this is his masterpiece so far. Extreme Rules 2012 definitely should be more lauded. Chad, you my boy, brutha! Lets canonize this!

It is funny, I grew up loving to read about the history of pro wrestling. I started watching as a kid in 1997, but reading about all the wrestling of the 80s and 90s fascinated me. There was no youtube yet so I was left to my own devices. Towards the end of 2003, WWE began to really exploit their vault in the DVD format releasing a Ric Flair DVD and I was so excited. I just could not wait to watch this. Easily, the most excited I have ever been for Christmas. Pop that sucker in and it is going to be Flair vs Race in a Cage 1983. This is it, baby! I am finally going to see Ric Flair in his prime against Harley Fucking Race after all the hype. Then I watch the match and dud. I was terrified that all 80s wrestling would be like that, but thankfully Flair vs Windham, Flair vs Steamboat and Flair vs Funk was amazing to show me that 80s wrestling is indeed bitchin! Lets decanonize this muthafucka!

I love the DDP/Savage feud so much. It is the best feud of the NWO era. DDP as the People's Champion was so cool. I think I would have one of their matches on a list just because it is a personal favorite. I like the Spring Stampede match because DDP gets the big win. Steve, you're my boy, brutha! I love the "Brutha, brutha, brutha, You're married to Kimberly, YOU'RE THE MAN!" promo (It is from Uncensored 1997, for those that want to watch it) always cracks me up, but then it gets sick when Kimberly comes out distraught and spraypainted. Savage attacks DDP. Great fucking angle.

The Wrestlemania XIX match has already fallen a bit flat for me. I need to watch it again. Love, love, love the HBK/Y2J 2008 matches.

Never saw the first Money in the Bank. I do want to watch that one. I really liked seeing two of them live in Boston least year.

I love this Austin/Steamboat Bash at the Beach match and it is my personal pick for the best of their series. Austin's heel work is awesome and a really classic heel performance. Steve, youre not my boy, anymore. :) You all are crazy! This match rocks!

Why is Rock/Taker/Angle on the list?!?!?!?!?!? Pedestrian.

Midnight Express 1990 Farewell Tour is incredible! I go with the RNRs match for the match of that tour, but the Southern Boys is right there with it.

Bret Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid is killer. Definitely a contender for best RAW match ever. Bret Hart in the babyface vs babyface matches is when he is at his best. Hart just rocks those like no one else.

I need to rewatch Flair/Dusty matches. They seemed pretty mediocre when I was a teen, but maybe if I rewatch it. I love Flair/Dusty story going into Starrcade 1985. Wouldn't Flair/Dusty from GAB '86 when he won the title the match to show because at least Dusty wins?

I fall in the camp that this is just an Ultimo Dragon's offensive exhibition and really lacked struggle. I prefer Misterio/Malenko especially at GAB '96.

Piper/Valentine is bloody awesome. People don't like this match?!?!?!? EAR PSYCHOLOGY BABY! My favorite Piper match by far and I liked the Buddy Rose stuff a lot. I am a huge fan of The Hammer. Valentine definitely needed to be represented. Everyone should be aware how badass he is.

I am going to refrain from any Austin/HHH comments until I rewatch.

I was at Punk/Taker live at Wrestlemania and top 3 crowd reaction for me personally to attend. Really cool match to see live. For those curious, it would be attending the last RAW before Money in the Bank 2011 (that's the ice cream bar promo), Punk/Taker match and Royal Rumble 2015.

The Canadian Stampede match is so much fun and a great character-driven match. Type of match sorely lacking nowadays. Money in the Bank 2011 was one of the loudest crowds I have heard.

Bryan/Zigs is from the era where I was watching RAW every week, but was totally checked out and never even looked up the hot PPV matches. Charles has a good point about getting Zigs on the list. This was pretty heralded at the time and considered WWE MOTYC 2010. I have never seen it.

Sting/Cactus is one of my favorite non-Vader Sting matches and I really, really liked it when I first saw it, but it has lessen over the years. I love the length of time of this match. They were working at a pace that kills and matches like that should not last long.

Punk/Cena RAW '13 was one of my favorite matches of 2013 and my favorite of the new Cena layout where Cena has to earn each of his moves almost like levels you unlock. The story of Cena having trouble beating Punk and then vanquishing him on the head to facing The Rock was awesome. This could be the best RAW match ever.

WOW! ALL THREE OF YOU! Thank you Steven!!! I loved Cesaro/Zayn two out of three falls. I disagree totally about being around the spots. The match was totally rooted in a fundamental story of the underdog trying to earn the respect of the big dog. The first fall plays off the fact that Zayn had beat Cesaro won on a flash pin. So the two out of three falls was to have Zayn prove he can definitively beat Cesaro twice. Cesaro is a power-spot guy and I have been all over for Cesaro adding more heelishness to his work since he tends to work very neutral. I thought these two matches against Zayn were his best work as a bully. Cena/Cesaro was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more of a spotfest!!! Zayn is suffocating Cesaro after winning the first fall because he knows he can't fall behind. When he does, it is a battle of Cesaro's strength against Zayn's elsuiveness and it rages to a great climax. Don't see how this was indyriffic? This is a truly incredible match that embodies everything that makes wrestling great: Bully vs underdog, Strength vs. speed, struggle, playing off early matches, great build, bitchin' spots, awesome layout and a tremendous finish. You all are crazy! :P

Funny thing though, when the idea of a conversation with Flair came up, he's one of the last wrestlers I can imagine giving satisfactory answers to a PWO-style analysis of match structure, psychology etc. You'd get a bunch of bullsh*t about working 365 days a year and whatever comes off the top of his head that day. I remember Foley saying in a shoot (in response to the whole Foley-flair books feud in 2004) that he doesn't think Flair's prone to reflecting on his career and contemplation. I tend to agree.

Another thing - Lesnar/Angle Iron man match. That bad, huh? I haven't watched it in years, but remember enjoying it as all-action back then.

Also, does Angle get the blame for that? His standing from back then seems to have fallen badly, but I hear no such re-evaluation of Lesnar's 2002-04.....