Pro Wrestling Only

Tully Blanchard vs. Arn Anderson

soup23

Who is Better?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two individuals is the best wrestler for GWE purposes?

• Tully Blanchard
    • Arn Anderson

This one is close.

What is funny about this whole thing is that there is like 25-50 guys that you could argue are better than Arn. I named twenty, but I could had named a lot more. Parv is just being silly.

As for Tully vs Arn, I could be swayed either way. I prefer Arn due to like the role he played better than the role Tully played most of their careers. Arn is more serious, while Tully is more silly.

Arn had more longevity. Yes, part of that was because Tully was his own worst enemy and didn't get rehired by WCW because of drugs after The Brainbusters finished up with the WWF...or at least that's the way I always heard it.

Years later, Tully made a comeback in ECW, but didn't he bomb there against Shane Douglas? Arn would have easily won that audience over. Hell, if his less skilled (but still decent) doppleganger CW Anderson could get over, Arn definitely would've.

Also, when WWE hired Tully for behind-the-scenes work, JBL apparently dressed him down for being such a prick earlier in their careers, and I think that was the end of Tully in the WWE. Arn, on the other hand, has been a respected agent for years.

Still, even if we're only comparing them between the ropes, Arn lasted longer. Doesn't matter or why, just that he did. Those are the facts.

Arn worked ECW in 1994, teaming with Funk against Sabu and Bobby Eaton. The angle to set up the match was stellar, Arn got a big pop but the eventual match was just okay. I've heard the story told that Arn didn't know what to do once he got tagged in, so he grabbed a headlock and called it a night. An extended program with Douglas could have worked though.

Actually Tully lasted the same as or a little longer than Anderson. We just have more Anderson on tape. Tully debuted a good 7 years or so before Anderson.

You're right. It's weird, because Arn always seemed "older" than Tully to me, and older than his age in general. The upside of that is that Arn has "aged well" because he hasn't changed much - like Wilford Brimley, who was much younger than you'd think in "Cocoon" and doesn't look too far off from that even now (or as of a few years ago at least).

People keep saying that Arn was solid or consistent, but at his peak he was a master performer who could work the full range from comedy to asskickery. If you asked me which I'd rather watch, '91-2 Arn or '85-6 Tully it would be an awfully close call. Tully was more of a leading man, but I think Parv has a fair point about his lack of offence. He was 90% bumping and stooging. Arn had a wider range, but was more suited to multi-man bouts. If you gave Arn something to do he was brilliant whereas Tully in his prime could create something from nothing. Can I cheat and say Tully in singles and Arn in multi-man bouts? I think I'll give the edge to Arn since his brilliance isn't being recognised enough. 1992 Arn is better than just about 90s worker I can think of States-side.

Arn gets my vote...his longevity is the tie breaker for it..

In the RING

Tully was fuckin AMAZING from 84-88 in Crockett and his singles TV Title / National Titlte / US Title run and feuds were reasons I kept tuning into TBS / Worldwide / etc...

But Arn was also really really good during that time (85-88), be it in his tag matches with Ole learning to focus on body parts, then in his singles run with the TV Title in 86, his tag matches vs RNR..His 87 wasnt that memorable, but 88 with Tully certainly was...But after that (post 88), Arn still put on GOOD matches until 1996...he had some ups and downs, but he was still mostly good putting on good and great matches on TV...His 91-92 period is what puts him over Tully..

Also, Arn was good in his Southeast stuff with Jerry Stubbs to as well as an OK job guy in Mid-South as Marte Lunde.

ON The MIC

To me, this is no contest...as good as Tully was on the mic, and damn was he good, Arn is top 3 or 4 all-time to me, and his interviews were amazing up until the end...the promo he cut before War Games 1996 makes me wish to this day that the Horsemen / NWO feud could have gone on longer just to see his promos...

So on this one, Arn gets it...Tully had a better PEAK run (84-86), but Arn wasnt too far behind during that period and excelled way past Tully from 88 forward...and to me, longevity and continuing to be at least a 3* a night guy as someone mentioned

Caveat on my vote is that I havent seen much Tully pre Crockett in 84 outside a few matches he had with Gino and against Gino in Southwest....I have a bunch of the video from that period, but havent checked it out yet, so that could swing me...

I went with Tully. I really liked his soft spoken approach to a lot of his promos. As I've watched 1985 Crockett, he is just amazing on TV. He goes out there every week and just has great matches with everyone. I also agree that he's just a great piece of shit. There was a promo on World Wide right before he found Baby Doll where he's encouraging women to write in to be his manager and he essentially said "nudes welcome" and it was great. I think he also accused David Crockett of having a hard on the first time he brought Baby Doll out. I also love the slingshot suplex as his finisher.

People keep saying that Arn was solid or consistent, but at his peak he was a master performer who could work the full range from comedy to asskickery. If you asked me which I'd rather watch, '91-2 Arn or '85-6 Tully it would be an awfully close call. Tully was more of a leading man, but I think Parv has a fair point about his lack of offence. He was 90% bumping and stooging. Arn had a wider range, but was more suited to multi-man bouts. If you gave Arn something to do he was brilliant whereas Tully in his prime could create something from nothing. Can I cheat and say Tully in singles and Arn in multi-man bouts? I think I'll give the edge to Arn since his brilliance isn't being recognised enough. 1992 Arn is better than just about 90s worker I can think of States-side.

I think Arn takes this easily, but come on. He wasn't even the best worker in his company in 1992.

I voted Arn.

One thing about Tully is that for better/worse, he was a career heel who came off as a complete scumbag. To me he was such a creep that I at times don't like watching his stuff as much as I should. He was so skeezy that he almost has X-Pac heat for me, especially in something like the Magnum "I Quit" match where he's squealing like a pig throughout. Yet it seems unfair to fault a top heel for being loathsome. If anything that's a plus, esp. when he was also such a good worker and promo. But in spite of all that, if I'm being honest, I often feel like I should be enjoying Blanchard's work more than I really do, while Arn if anything gets more enjoyable over time, for all the reasons of longevity/diversity discussed above.

I voted for Tully, but I could easily have voted Arn. Both of them have that little something special which sets them apart from most. Arn has 100% legitimacy - you truly believe what he says and know he could back those words up. Tully is more about the aura of being a total bastard they he projects almost naturally. Add that to being part of one of the truly great matches of all time nudged me in his direction.