Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Football League

Attention members of PWO: What you are about to read is extremely dorky and insane. Swallow any beverage that might be in your mouth -- I don't want you spitting it onto your naked lady device after reading what I'm doing. Cover your hands with something soft -- I don't want you getting concussed when you smack your head after comprehending what I'm up to. Make sure you have a mirror nearby -- I want each and every one of you who reads this to look into it after you're done and recite the following 20 times: "I will never do anything this dorky. I will never do anything this dorky. I will never do anything this dorky..."

Now that I've got the warnings required by law (thanks Obama) out of the way, I can reveal that I have created an institution called the Squared Circle Football League. The NFL has basically morphed into a cockeyed version of professional wrestling these days. Each and every day the offield antics of its players gets more outrageous and the manufactured storylines created by the league PR machine, ESPN and the bloviators on sports talk radio get more tiresome.

So, since the NFL is now, basically, a more popular and mainstream version of pro wrestling, why not model a football league after the NFL and fill with with teams made up entirely of pro wrestlers?

That's exactly what I've done with the Squared Circle Football League (SCFL). I've put together six teams made up entirely of pro wrestlers. These six teams will play a 10-game season (they'll all play each other twice) with the top three teams making the "World Heavyweight Championship Bowl." The top seed receives a bye straight to the "SCFL World Heavyweight Championship" game and will face the winner of the "Intercontinental Title" round (the No. 2 vs. No. 3 seed). The winner of the "SCFL World Heavyweight Championship" game will take home the SCFL Title Belt.

To make all this happen, I will be using a pro football management simulation called Action PC Football. I'll provide weekly recaps of each game and follow the storylines of the SCFL as they develop throughout the season.

Below, you will see that I've created rosters for each team. The next step is to input the rosters into the game and rate the players, which will take some time. I'll be posting season previews for each team as I finish inputting them into the game. Meantime, if you, the kind (and slightly warped, like me) readers of PWO could give the rosters a review and let me know if I missed including any obvious wrestlers, I would appreciate it.

I focused mainly on pre-2000s American wrestlers to build each team. You'll see I sprinkled in a few foreigners and modern workers throughout, but the heavy focus is on the 80s and 90s era of American wrestling rosters. I tried to place each wrestler on a team that corresponded best with where they wrestled, but it's not always perfect. Some adjustments needed to be made to balance out each 50-man (and woman) roster.

Will the WWF Superstars, led by their controversial coach Vince McMahon, use their star power and massive talent to win it all? Can hard-partying QB Ric Flair help the NWA Grapplers overcome a lack of team speed and a roster filled mostly with white dudes? Can the ECW Extremists avoid getting called for roughing penalties on every other play and string together a few wins?

We're about to find out. Get ready for season one of the SCFL!

WWF Superstars

QB “Macho Man” Randy Savage

RB Dynamite Kid

WR Shawn Michaels

WR Jeff Hardy

WR Own Hart

TE Hulk Hogan

LT Andre the Giant

LG Yokozuna

C Mark Henry

RG King Kong Bundy

RT Earthquake

QB John Cena

QB The Fabulous Moolah

RB Bob Backlund

FB Jim Neidhart

WR 1-2-3 Kid

WR Chris Jericho

TE Bruno Sammartino

TE Razor Ramon

T Mabel

T Pat Patterson

G/C Gorilla Monsoon

OL Hillbilly Jim

DE Undertaker

DT Big John Studd

DT Big Boss Man

DE The Rock

OLB Bret Hart

MLB Stone Cold Steve Austin

OLB Ultimate Warrior

CB Tito Santana

CB Superfly Jimmy Snuka

SS Rowdy Roddy Piper

FS Jake the Snake Roberts

DE Bradshaw

DT Rikishi

DL Davey Boy Smith

LB Bad News Brown

LB Demolition Ax

LB Demolition Smash

LB Triple-H

CB Marty Janettey

CB Road Dog

CB Pat Tanaka

S Repo Man

S Tatanka

CB/S Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff

K Barry Horrowitz

P Brooklyn Brawler

KR/PR Doink the Clown

Head coach: Vince McMahon

NWA Rasslers

QB Nature Boy Ric Flair

RB Great Muta

FB Kevin Sullivan

WR Rick Rude

WR Rickey Steamboat

TE Giant Baba

LT Blackjack Mulligan

LG Abdullah the Butcher

C Nikita Koloff

RG The American Dream Dusty Rhodes

RT The Barbarian

QB Tully Blanchard

QB Baby Doll

RB Jay Youngblood

RB Beautiful Bobby Eaton

WR Robert Gibson

WR Jimmy Garvin

WR Bobby Fulton

TE Greg Valentine

TE Thunderbolt Patterson

G Bugsy McGraw

T Killer Kowalski

G Dick the Bruiser

G/C Masked Superstar

DE Lex Luger

DT Ole Anderson

DT Road Warrior Animal

DE Road Warrior Hawk

OLB Barry Windham

MLB Harley Race

OLB Magnum TA

CB Mike Rotundo

CB Ricky Morton

FS Arn Anderson

SS Terry Funk

DT Samu

DT Fatu

DE Ox Baker

MLB Tommy Rich

LB/DE Lou Thez

LB Ronnie Garvin

LB Ivan Koloff

CB Terry Taylor

CB Stan Lane

CB/S Pez Whatley

S Lou Thez

S Jimmy Valiant

P Bill Mulkey

K Randy Mulkey

KR/PR Tommy Rogers

Head coach: J.J. Dillon

WCW Big Boys

QB Sting

RB Chris Benoit

WR Eddie Guerrero

WR Jushin Thunder Liger

WR Norman Smiley

TE Antonio Inoki

LT Sid Vicious

LG Cactus Jack

C Steve Mongo McMichael

RG Jim Ross

RT The Giant

QB Lord Steven Regal

QB Stacy Kiebler

RB Ultimo Dragon

RB El Dandy

FB Fit Finlay

WR Johnny B. Badd

WR Alex Wright

TE Scott Steiner

TE Bobby Duncam Jr.

G Hugh Morris

G/C Tex Slazenger

G/T PN News

T The Shockmaster

DE Ron Simmons

NT Vader

DE Bill Goldbert

OLB Kevin Nash

ILB Booker T

ILB Rick Steiner

OLB Dustin Rhodes

CB Juventud Guerrera

CB Norman Smiley

SS Diamond Dallas Page

FS Flyin' Brian Pillman

DE Scott Norton

DE Meng

DL Stevie Ray

NT Mr. Hughes

ILB Buff Bagwell

ILB Brian Knobbs

OLB Chris Kanyon

CB Earnest The Cat Miller

CB Chavo Guerrero

CB Billy Kidman

S Konan

S Dean Malenko

K Disco Inferno

P The Yetti

KR/PR Rey Misterio Jr.

Head coach: Eric Bishoff

AWA Traditoinalists

QB Nick Bockwinkel

RB Rick Martell

FB Dino Bravo

WR Greg Gagne

WR Jumpin' Jim Brunzell

TE Baron von Raschke

LT Sgt. Slaugher

LG Superstar Billy Graham

C Adrian Adonis

RG Otto Wanz

RT Larry The Ax Hennig

QB Playboy Buddy Rose

QB Mean Gene Okerlund

RB Tom Zenk

RB Bobo Brazil

RB/FB Jerry Saggs

WR Paul Diamond

WR Doug Sommers

TE Billy Robinson

TE Boris Zukov

T Col. DeBeers

G/T Masa Saito

G/C Wild Bill Irwin

G Sheik Adnan Al Kaise

DE Stan The Lariat Hansen

DT Jerry Blackwell

DT Jumbo Tsuruta

DE Ken Patera

OLB Chief Wahoo McDaniel

MLB Da Crusher

OLB Jesse the Body Ventura

CB Curt Hennig

CB Larry Zbyszko

SS Mad Dog Vachon

FS Brad Rheingans

DT The Raging Bull Manny Fernandez

DE Nord the Barbarian

DE Mike Enos

LB/DE Scott LeDoux

LB Ray the Crippler Stevens

LB Wayne The Train Bloom

LB Pat O'Connor

CB Pat Tanaka

CB Steve Regal

CB/S Red Bastein

S Brad Armstron

S DJ Peterson

K Kenny The Sodbuster Jay

P Buck "Rock 'n Roll" Zumhofe

KR/PR Jerry Lynn

Head coach: Vern Gagne

ECW Extremists

QB The Franchise Shane Douglas

RB Super Crazy

WR Rob Van Dam

WR Stevie Richards

WR 2 Cold Scorpio

TE Al Snow

LT Mike Awesome

LG The Sandman

C Tommy Dreamer

RG The Blue Meanie

RT Jack Victory

QB Chris Chetti

QB Francine

RB/WR Super Nova

RB Lance Storm

FB Perry Saturn

WR Wolfie D

WR J.C. Ice

TE Steve Corino

TE John Kronus

G/C Axl Rotten

G Sal E. Graziano

T Balls Mahoney

OL Roadkill

DE 911

NT Bam Bam Bigelow

DE Raven

OLB Justin Credible

ILB Buh Buh Ray Dudley

ILB Rhino

OLB Mustafa Saed

CB Chris Candido

CB Little Guido

SS New Jack

FS Sabu

DE Big Dick Dudley

NT Pitbull No. 1

DL Pitbull No. 2

DL Rocco Rock

ILB D-Von Dudley

ILB Taz

OLB Tommy Cairo

OLB Tracy Smothers

S Massato Tanaka

S Yoshihiro Tajiri

CB Mikey Whipwreck

CB The Great Sauske

K Joel Gertner

P Tod Gordon

KR/PR Spike Dudley

Head coach: Paul E. Dangerously

Territorial Outlaws

QB Jerry the King Lawler

RB Koko B. Ware

FB Iceman King Parsons

WR Steve Kerin

WR Michael PS Hayes

TE The Snowman

LT One Man Gang

LG Kamala

C Dick Murdoch

RG Plowboy Frazier

RT Killer Khan

QB Billy Joe Travis

RB Mil Mascaras

RB Rip Rogers

WR Superstar Bill Dundee

WR Gino Hernandez

WR Mr. Olympia

TE Pork Chop Cash

TE Austin Idol

T Lord Humongous

G/C Eric Embry

G Moondog Rex

G Moondog Spot

DE Dr. Death Steve Williams

DT Junkyard Dog

DT Terry Gordy

DE Bruiser Brody

OLB Kerry Von Erich

ILB Hacksaw Jim Duggan

OLB Butch Reed

CB David Von Erich

CB Kevin Von Erich

SS Adrian Street

FS Eddie Gilbert

DE Atsushi Onita

DE Hercules Hernandez

DL Carlos Colon

DT Giant Haystacks

LB Dutch Mantell

LB Buzz Sawyer

LB Billy Jack Haynes

OLB Ted Dibiase

CB Jeff Jarrett

CB Chris Adams

CB/S Danny Hohdge

S Dick Slater

S Kabuki

K Andy Kauffman

P Jimmy Hart

KR/PR Chris Adams

Head coach: Bill Watts

I get the jobbers=special teams thing, but Tajiri really should do the kicking for Team ECW. And Paul Diamond (former pro soccer-er) for the AWA.

Now, can we make a starting roster of guys who dabbled in wrasslin'? Note, eligible roster guys must have at least been college players of note, if not pros.

QB Erik Watts

RB Marcus Dupree

RB Bronko Nagurski

WR

WR

TE Russ Francis

T Dr. Bill Miller

G Bill Fralic

C Vader

T Bradshaw

G Dick the Bruiser

DE Jeff Gaylord

DT Ron Simmons

DT Ernie Ladd

DE Reggie White

LB Lawrence Taylor

LB Wahoo McDaniel

LB Kevin Greene

CB Pacman Jones

CB

S Brian Pillman (even though he was a lineman in college and special-teams in the pros)

S

K

P

KR

And...I give up for now. We have an embarrassment of riches for the lines, especially defensive lines, not so much at the skill positions.

Oversized WWF Superstars out to take over SCFL

STAMFORD, Conn. -- You can learn a lot about the WWF Superstars by sitting and chatting with their head coach Vince McMahon by his pool at his mansion on a hot summer day.

You'll learn that McMahon is confident quarterback Randy "Macho Man" Savage has finally learned to control his temper, and won't threaten to lock any receiver who drops a pass in a closet for the remainder of the game.

You'll learn that tight end Hulk Hogan has a great chance to be the first tight end to take home league MVP.

You'll learn that linebacker Bret "the Hitman" Hart still has a chip on his shoulder and always will.

And you'll learn that the WWF Superstars are tired of talking about steroids.

"Listen goddamit," McMahon snarls, immediately putting an end to his laid back, poolside mood. "What we've accomplished, we've accomplished through hard work. Everyone on that roster has stepped up and grabbed the brass ring."

But with an offensive line weighing in at an average of more than 450 pounds, talk of performance-enhancing drugs will follow the WWF Superstars forever. Kind of like the deflated footballs story stuck with the New England Patriots in the old NFL, only this time we're talking about balls, aka testicles, and how they, too, can deflate from overusing steroids.

"I do not know what you mean," said guard Yokozuna, who weighs in at over 550 pounds, through his interpreter, Mr. Fuji.

Before this reporter could ask a follow-up question, Fuji threw salt in the reporter's eyes and ushered Yokozuna out of the room.

Hogan was also asked about steroids.

"Let me tell you something, brother," he yelled. "We train hard. We take our vitamins. We say our prayers. Ask all the Hulkamaniacs, they'll tell you we're clean."

We may never now just what the WWF Superstars inject, snort or rub into their bodies. But we do know Savage, Hogan and running back Dynamite Kid will have to put up a lot of points to cover for a defense that lacks true playmakers outside of defensive end The Undertaker.

Yes, middle linebacker "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is as good as they get, but he won't sack the opposing quarterback, sit straight up, then cause the stadium lights to flicker as part of his sack celebration like the Undertaker can.

"Oooooh yeaaaaaah," Savage said when asked if the WWF Superstars have what it takes to win it all. "Diiiiig it."

White and bloody: Grapplers fate rests on Flair's focus, sobriety

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Here's what you learn when looking at the NWA Rasslers team photo:

· After another offseason filled with debauchery and tabloid headlines, superstar quarterback "Nature Boy" Ric Flair looks to be in as good a shape as ever.

· Tight end Giant Baba is still the most awkward looking player in the SCFL.

· The NWA Rasslers are white. Very white.

Crazed guard Abdulla the Butcher, backup tackle Thunderbolt Patterson and defensive back Pez Whatley (who is high on cult fame but low on talent) are the team's only black players. There's an Indian (Jay Youngblood), a Japanese running back (Great Muta), tight end (Baba) and two Somoans (Samu and Fatu), but the fact remains that the Rasslers are one of the palest looking teams in professional sports.

When asked about being one of the only black players on the team, Abdullah the Butcher pulled a fork out of his pants and tried to stab a group of reporters gathered by his locker.

Adbullah's fellow starting guard, the "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, ended up taking all race-related questions.

“It ain’t no thang, brutha,” Rhodes said in a dialect that kind of sounded black, but not really because it was being said by Dusty Rhodes.

Their whiteness isn’t the only strange thing about the Grapplers. They also bleed easily. Routine tackles, even post-play celebrations that involve two teammates clanking their helmets together, often result in a Grapplers player bleeding from the forehead.

“We call it wearing the crimson mask,” Flair says. “When we say it takes blood, sweat and tears to win it all – WHOOOOOO!!!!! – we ain’t kidding.”

Rumors have been circulating that Grapplers players actually use small razor blades hidden in their wrist tape to cut open their own foreheads. But whenever a Grapplers player is asked about it, the response is always “kayfabe,” followed by the interview abruptly ending.

On the field, the Grapplers are all about Flair. If the quarterback is healthy, sober and focused, the Grapplers are as good as any team in the league. If Flair is spending too much time styling and profiling instead of preparing for the an upcoming game, the rest of the Grapplers roster is too slow to pick up much of the slack.

On defense, Terry Funk is one of the hardest hitters in the league at safety and middle linebacker Harley Race rarely misses a tackle.

WCW's defensive line and Sting are freaking people out

ATLANTA, GA -- Ted Turner's money hasn't been able to buy a great quarterback. It's also left the WCW Big Boys with mediocre running backs and an offensive line filled with holes.

But take one look at WCW's defensive line, and you immediately forget about weak spots on the rest of the roster. Ron Simmons, Vader and Bill Goldberg might be the best defensive linemen in the SCFL, and they all play for Turner's Big Boys.

And they yell a lot. Loudly. Their parents never taught them about the "inside voices" concept.

"You're next!!!!" Goldberg asks rhetorically when asked about if WCW's d-line can carry it to the SCFL Title Belt. Then he randomly blows steam out of his nostrils.

"It's time! It's time! It's Vader time!" Vader yells when asked the same question., Then the 440-pounder points at his shoulder pads, causing steam to shoot out of an attached helmet.

"Damn," Simmons deadpans before cracking open his 17th Budweiser and digging into a 3-pound Angus steak.

Even Norman Smiley, WCW's veteran possession receiver and starting cornerback -- making him the only two-way player in the SCFL -- is scared of Vader, Goldberg and Simmons.

"Why do you think I play both ways?" Smiley said. Those three hate me and they scare me to death. If I'm not paying attention on the sideline, Vader will powerbomb me, Goldberg will spear me and Simmons will kick me square in the nads."

Smiley is asked why his three behemoth teammates choose to pick on him.

"Because I'm Norman Smiley," he says. "Everybody likes to bea--"

Before Smiley can finish, Simmons comes up from behind and drills Smiley with a chair, ending the interview.

Perhaps the three angry d-linemen should direct their rage at the Big Boys' quarterback, Sting, who hasn't lived up to the hype since joining the team. Sting also hasn't bee able to draw fans. WCW hasn't sold out a game in three seasons.

However, rumors are swirling that WCW will be getting a new version of Sting this season. Sting hasn't been photographed, filmed or interviewed all offseason. Nobody has seen him around the WCW team complex, either.

Well, kicker Disco Inferno claims he's seen Sting. But what he describes doesn't sound like the blonde-haired, painted-face, upbeat Sting we all know.

"I saw him, man" Disco said. "It was Sting, no doubt in my mind. But he had white facepaint and long black hair. He was wearing a black trench coat and hanging out in the rafters of the practice facility. I was freaked out, but I waved to him. All he did was point at me with a black bat and disappear."

Keep in mind, Disco has been suspended in each of his nine SCFL seasons for using LSD.

Whatever version of Sting WCW gets, and whoever its defensive line decides to beat up, 2015 is shaping up to be an interesting season for Ted Turner's Big Boys.