Pro Wrestling Only

Bill Demott is not a good human Thread

goodhelmet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Bob Holly gave his .02 about it on Twitter, basically saying if there's smoke there's fire.

I'm by no means a sports guy, but I get that trainers should work their charges hard. But what Bill is being accused of veers straight into sociopathic behavior, and is beyond me as to how it would be beneficial to anyone trying to get into WWE. Or anything.

What concerns me is the allegations that DeMott slapped somebody in the head who had a concussion, and allegedly kicked somebody's injured leg (which was in a cast) deliberately. If either of these allegations can be substantiated, that's ridiculous and he should be canned on the spot.

Sounds like the allegations are really starting to pile up, including some from Dolph Ziggler's younger brother. We'll see if they get enough critical mass to force WWE to do something. Normally I'd say Vince and Co. would ignore this until the end, but now that they have stockholders they are much more wary of negative stories in the press, no?

What kills me are the other wrestlers who were in no way involved, coming out of the woodwork to defend DeMott with one of two ridiculous comebacks:

1) "If it's true they should have said something at the time rather than complaining after they were released - now it just sounds like sour grapes!"

or

2) "Back when I was trained, my trainer abused me all the time and you never heard me complain about it! These kids nowadays need to be tougher!"

Because of course, nobody has ever kept silent in an abusive workplace out of fear of losing their job...and there is a big difference between taking a million bumps, getting stretched, etc. and being verbally humiliated by somebody who you can't answer back to, or even worse, being physically assaulted.

As a grumpy old guy myself, I'll be the first one to complain that today's younger generation are a bunch of whiny, entitled, emo cry-babies, who should sack up, find some testosterone and stop thinking the solution to all of life's problems is a quiet talk and a big hug...but there is NO excuse for verbally degrading and humiliating people who can't defend themselves out of fear, and roughing up injured trainees.

I laughed when I saw Chris Jericho tweeted support for DeMott, and then rapidly yanked the tweet when some of the alleged victims fired back at him. I recently read all three of Jericho's books, and his change in personality and demeanor over the course of the books is alarming. He's quite the asshole now, and his defending DeMott and then backing off is right in character.

Praying that this is brought up on an investor call.

Only responsible journalists are invited to such calls, so you will probably have to pray on brother. I imagine though that by the time of the next NXT special in 2-3 months time this story will be old news by then. If the allegations resurfaced before a conference call, then Hunter would issue a statement at the beginning of it so that everyone could concentrate on the more important matters at hand like pushing for Charlotte to be the WWE's version of Ronda Rousey and won't tomorrow's show be awesome.

Given that these allegations were from two years ago, I can't see WWE doing anything other than fire-fighting when necessary and waiting till the heat blows over. Arguably the bigger problem is that there's no evidence that DeMott is actually a *good* trainer, as all the best talent in NXT got their starts elsewhere. So far he's a more abusive and less successful version of DeWayne Bruce. You'd hope Triple H would have greater aspirations than running a high-rent WCW Power Plant.

Bill DeMott is a nut job who should be fired . All of his victims should sue this clown and the WWE. Why is DeMott even a trainer to begin with ? He the Laughing Man and Crash for god's sake. This guy never drew a dime , yet he is supposed to train future main eventers . I guess Ricky Steamboat was not available.

So far he's a more abusive and less successful version of DeWayne Bruce.

Exactly what I was thinking. And Bruce was probably a better worker too (which doesn't say much).

The only thing "going for" Demott is that he "sacrified" for wrestling, meaning he fucked up his body doing stupid spots while not drawing any money nor getting over. That's basically why he gets some respect from some of his peers I guess. The old ECW mentality. But like I said, ECW already had a Blue Meanie.

I guess Ricky Steamboat was not available.

steamboat is one of the trainers in developmental, and people generally rave about him there. see also: billy gunn, terry taylor, norman smiley, et al.

demott keeps his job because he knows how to kiss ass and he embodies vince & HHH's fantasies of the drill sargeant toughening up THOSE DAMN MILLENIALS

EDIT: a really good point brought up in the reddit thread is how many career-ending injuries have happened in NXT. corey graves, richie steamboat, brett dibiase...that's some of the most damning evidence of a broken system in my view, considering this is supposed to be a developmental promotion.

I recently read all three of Jericho's books, and his change in personality and demeanor over the course of the books is alarming. He's quite the asshole now, and his defending DeMott and then backing off is right in character.

His third book is especially bad in this regard. He comes across as such an obnoxious, drunken asshole. I don't blame Punk for distancing himself from Jericho.

So far he's a more abusive and less successful version of DeWayne Bruce. You'd hope Triple H would have greater aspirations than running a high-rent WCW Power Plant.

Bill DeMott is a nut job who should be fired . All of his victims should sue this clown and the WWE. Why is DeMott even a trainer to begin with ? He the Laughing Man and Crash for god's sake. This guy never drew a dime , yet he is supposed to train future main eventers . I guess Ricky Steamboat was not available.

I'm not about to defend Demott, but hyperbolic posts like this is where it gets ridiculous.

1. Who the hell did Bruce successfully train? And don't say Goldberg, whose rise to stardom had very little to do with what Bruce taught him. The Regal match proves that Goldberg was pretty lost in the ring early on. Good job, DeWayne Bruce! BTW, Bruce was also an abusive tool - according to Batista's book.

2. Demott was actually a decent wrestler. Very agile for a big man, with a certain level of charisma. Main eventer? No. But he could've been used better in WCW for sure.

With that said, he could've been the love child of Ric Flair and Rey Mysterio, and that still wouldn't excuse his actions. Look at the season of Tough Enough that Austin hosted. Demott was an absolute cunt. He kept calling that poor kid Ryan Howe "Skidmark," just because Howe was a thin, blond, pretty boy type - exactly the kind of guy you'd figure Demott would instantly hate - but I always found it unfair, because this kid's career was basically snuffed out by an insecure bully. Who knows what potential Howe might've actually had?

But he could've been used better in WCW for sure.

I used to think that way too, but going through WCW TV again, I ended up thinking the opposite. Demott was an average worker at best. Bumped well for a big guy, and that's about it. Never was able to make much of anything of his athletic ability. When put alongside guys like the Faces of Fear, he looked badly outclassed, and he didn't look like the workhorse next to Konnan (who sucked) either. His MIA push, although coming at a point where he was already pretty beat up exposed him as a guy who just didn't belong at that level at all (and his promos weren't good). So yeah, to me he was perfectly used by WCW as a JTTS, able to bump and make other people look impressive at times. The whole moonsault deal wasn't that impressive when we've already seen Bigelow, Vader and, hell, Meanie do the same thing, and that's really most of what he had to offer that was "unique". I guess that's why he's a miserable fuck.

Basic psychology tells us why those who made it through developmental wouldn't speak out against DeMott. It's the same reason members of fraternities with the harshest initiations are the most likely to have positive feelings about their frat brothers.

1. Who the hell did Bruce successfully train? And don't say Goldberg, whose rise to stardom had very little to do with what Bruce taught him. The Regal match proves that Goldberg was pretty lost in the ring early on. Good job, DeWayne Bruce! BTW, Bruce was also an abusive tool - according to Batista's book.

Who did DeMott successfully train? NXT is great as a finishing school for established indy guys, but who have they built up from scratch?

Demott is a journeyman . He can teach raw talent the basics . The fact is he never drew money and is not a main event talent.

in fairness, billy gunn seems to be one of the most respected trainers and he's not a heck of a lot more accomplished. worse in the ring, too.

much more important than demott's wrestling career are his abuse of trainees and apparent failure to develop raw talent.

Demott is a journeyman . He can teach raw talent the basics . The fact is he never drew money and is not a main event talent.

in fairness, billy gunn seems to be one of the most respected trainers and he's not a heck of a lot more accomplished. worse in the ring, too.

much more important than demott's wrestling career are his abuse of trainees and apparent failure to develop raw talent.

Oh I agree with you Demott should be held accountable for his actions and his victims should receive compensation from the WWE. However that does not explain how Demott got the job as trainer , when they were much better choices availble to the WWE. I