Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Regrets

Fantastic

So thinking about how history could repeat itself with Brock walking away from WWE in spite of being given a massive salary, numerous benefits not afforded to others, and a long term plan that has him firmly working on top, I've been wondering...

Does anybody think that Vince and the upper echelons of WWE have ever regretted anything over the years? Specifically stuff like "we should have signed this guy" or "that was a big missed opportunity"? They always take the high road publicly, assuming the position of "it was best for business", but there's got to regrets floating around there.

Getting back to my first point, surely they must be regretting ending the streak and all that monster booking afforded to Lesnar last year, given that it's a very real possibility that he isn't sticking around?

So thinking about how history could repeat itself with Brock walking away from WWE in spite of being given a massive salary, numerous benefits not afforded to others, and a long term plan that has him firmly working on top, I've been wondering...

Does anybody think that Vince and the upper echelons of WWE have ever regretted anything over the years? Specifically stuff like "we should have signed this guy" or "that was a big missed opportunity"? They always take the high road publicly, assuming the position of "it was best for business", but there's got to regrets floating around there.

Getting back to my first point, surely they must be regretting ending the streak and all that monster booking afforded to Lesnar last year, given that it's a very real possibility that he isn't sticking around?

I don't think Vince McMahon thinks that way.

I agree that Vince probably finds justification for every significant decision he has made. That's probably especially true if you asked him this question now, given that he is is the undisputed king of wrestling. I think these two miscues might have the best chance:

* Letting Hogan walk - From 1996 to 1998, WCW presented the biggest threat to WWF that any promotion ever has. Hogan was the catalyst for that. Vince's justification would likely be that Hogan was damaging the WWF's ability to move forward with his refusal to step out of the spotlight in 1993, so cutting ties completely was totally necessary. Of course, WWF more or less treaded water for another 3 years while WCW made up ground with Hogan. Vince might see letting Hogan go as a necessity to get to the Attitude Era, but WCW managed to just fine during the beginning/middle stages of that era with Hogan. Maybe Vince might admit that he would have saved himself a lot of trouble by handling Hogan differently, not letting him go to WCW, and getting to the attitude era with Hogan as a bridge (a heel Hogan who speaks out against a babyface like Austin would have been money). Probably not, but maybe if he was caught in the right situation he might relent on that one.

* WCW Invasion - The excuse for this is that the Bagwell/Booker match bombed so badly that they had no other choice but to do what they did with the Invasion, but I wonder if Vince couldn't be persuaded to admit that they mishandled at least some aspect of the Invasion. Even if it is as small as "I should have brought in Flair/Nash/Hogan/Hall a bit earlier". He never has admitted that they blew the Invasion and that it wasn't the fault of other circumstances, so this is probably unlikely too. That was such an obvious screw up that if Vince was ever going to admit to regretting how he handled a major angle, that would be high up the list.

If I were Vince McMahon, I think Owen's spot is the one real regret I'd take with me to my grave. Everything else is relatively petty details.

I wonder what he specifically regrets about that, the fact Owen died? The fact he was the one who made the decision to book the stunt, in spite of some reservations people had about it? Or the fact that he chose to continue with the show in spite of the death of one his performers and everybody in the building bearing witness to it?

If I were Vince McMahon, I think Owen's spot is the one real regret I'd take with me to my grave. Everything else is relatively petty details.

I wonder what he specifically regrets about that, the fact Owen died? The fact he was the one who made the decision to book the stunt, in spite of some reservations people had about it? Or the fact that he chose to continue with the show in spite of the death of one his performers and everybody in the building bearing witness to it?

i would say it's more so the fact that the WWF outright ignored safety concerns with that. i think they had a hollywood stunt company look at the harness - they said it wouldn't pass their own safety tests, and the WWF blew them off. at least, that's the story i heard way back when!

i would say it's more so the fact that the WWF outright ignored safety concerns with that. i think they had a hollywood stunt company look at the harness - they said it wouldn't pass their own safety tests, and the WWF blew them off. at least, that's the story i heard way back when!

I can imagine that being the deciding factor in the wrongful death lawsuit that Martha filed against WWE (and won).

I wonder if Vince regrets not listening to Shane's suggestion to get into the MMA market? Probably not, but let's assume that UFC is always going to be the number one fight promotion in the world under any circumstances, could WWE potentially offered the number two promotion, had Vince decided to take a leap of faith and try his hand at promoting fights as well as wrestling?

I doubt Vince regrets not getting into MMA. Just because something is successful doesn't mean it's necessarily a good investment for him. He clearly has no interest in it or passion for it, so why bother? That's like expecting Vince to invest in Chipotle because they're successful, even though he might not care about Mexican takeout food at all.

Not having Batista holding the belt when he was in the #1 movie in the USA ?

only thing that comes to mind..

Otherwise, I think there's a logic of justification to any other instance that WWE follows.

I don't know why they still think it's going to matter if their part timer movie star has the belt while he's going on talk show circuits promoting his movie. The Rock wasn't bringing the belt with him to The Tonight Show when he was the champ was he? The movie people probably try and stop it and I'm sure the talk show producers aren't really keen on it either.

I think, on a personal side, McMahon might regret the falling out with Randy Savage. From everything that I've read (and I'm not sure how much if it is true), that split started out respectfully, but over time, almost became more personal and bitter on both sides. Maybe it was one of those cases where the longer they were not in communication, the bigger the divide became, to the point that neither guy was willing to pick up the phone?

Not having Batista holding the belt when he was in the #1 movie in the USA ?

only thing that comes to mind..

Otherwise, I think there's a logic of justification to any other instance that WWE follows.

I don't know why they still think it's going to matter if their part timer movie star has the belt while he's going on talk show circuits promoting his movie. The Rock wasn't bringing the belt with him to The Tonight Show when he was the champ was he? The movie people probably try and stop it and I'm sure the talk show producers aren't really keen on it either.

It shows they still make stars. I tend to agree with you tho.