Pro Wrestling Only

Too much modern product bashing, not enough old school

JerryvonKramer

When I saw this topic, I was really hoping it was going to be about bitching over old school stuff. There's really none of that on this board (or elsewhere) because everyone naturally cherry-picks the good stuff.

I don't know if that's entirely true. I was very fair about everything I watched in the ongoing (although very rarely updated atm) Southeastern/Continental thread. If the show isn't very interesting or the talent is weak I don't gloss over it. Parv is usually pretty honest about whatever old footage he is watching that he doesn't like. The thing about is that when watching the old footage, you just don't write that much about the bad stuff. It can mostly be summed up by "this guy sucked" or "that match sucked" or "_ is terrible on the mic" but there really isn't a lot to go on a rant about because eventually you know "well if I see Killer Brooks pop up I'm fast forwarding."

In that same vein, no one is forcing modern fans to watch Kane matches and complain about them.

Oh, btw I tried to watch some Bob Luce footage yesterday and WOW that guy is terrible. Maybe the worst I've ever heard. I stuck it out for Heenan's interactions with Little Bruiser but it's not something I could see watching a lot of unless I really really want to see that match. I imagine a 3 man booth of Bob Luce, James Blears & TNA era Mike Tenay would be the most effective audio torture device ever.

Thats a very good point Bill - I do wonder whether my reticence to accept the newer stuff comes from being out of the loop for so many years and not understanding how things have changed.

On another note - the increase in the number of podcasts over the past year may very well have impacted on the need to discuss wrestling so much on a forum...it seems like so much gets covered in podcasts that there may not be a need to write about them too? Maybe not? Perhaps podcasts can be a excellent means of being able to stimulate debate.

The podcast point is a very good one. I know that I love listening to a lot of wrestling podcasts, and I get a lot of my discussion from them. At the same time I do still love reading posts from people on here. I think both provide valuable insight and unique ways to connect with the wrestling world. For someone like me, who is mainly interesting in an analytical or interpretive look into the artistic side of pro wrestling it's all about the depth of discussion. There's no place online that goes as in-depth as here, but often the podcasts I listen to come close. I a lot of ways I treat this place the same as I do podcasts, I take just about all of it in, but feel woefully out of my league when it comes to participating, so I sparingly do.

One thing we could do a bit more is reiterate points we've made on shows again on here, because not everyone listens to every show.

It's kind of weird cos you always feel like you are repeating yourself, but sometimes I guess you've got to for the sake of discussion.

omg this

i don't really listen to podcasts so this would definitely be appreciated

I don't think it's inherently a bad thing, as times and technologies do change. But it may not be an accurate read either.

Last time I revamped the layout of the site with additional folders and subfolders, it seemed to revive the board a little bit. Is it time for a facelift, and would that help?

To be honest, I don't think there's much of a problem, judging by what everyone has said. I was just having a bit of a moan with this thread ... And for what it's worth, we've had some good non-Current-WWE-centric discussion these past few days. No idea if this thread was a catylst or if it's just a coincidence, but either way is cool with me.

As for the other point, I think the relationship between this board and at least the shows on the PWO-PTBN Network has always been genuinely symbiotic. I don't think either one is "supplementary", they feed from each other naturally. I'm always happy when people join this place after listening to one of our shows. And equally it's nice when you get someone like Superstar Sleaze who transitions from being primarily a guy who writes written reviews to being on audio. That's genuinely healthy and "for the best".

I think we could follow up more on points made in the podcasts - there are often things I hear which I would love to know more about or have some thoughts regarding which I never post about - its almost like I listen to the podcasts in isolation of the board and dont realise that this is the perfect place for such things.

I don't listen to podcasts very often. I prefer the conversation over listening to one.

I have listened to some of the Titans podcasts. The bio material is always of interest and I do wish there was a place for that on the board.

I understand this isn't a place for pages of match results and such. But, bio stuff like that can help spark conversation and ideas. Or at least can help form a point of reference for those not listening or those who may feel under informed.

Really, part of the stuff that Parv craves is because people came together as a community and discussed the stuff as a community. The 80s sets and yearbooks created pockets of discussion that allowed us to talk about the same stuff at relatively the same time. You don't have that sense of community because smaller and smaller groups or pockets are watching their own thing. Those of us who watched the Mid South and Memphis sets almost a decade ago and argued about that stuff a decade ago don't always want to go back and have the same arguments with a different group of posters. The yearbooks have their threads, we have done podcasts, Loss is doing his project but it is up to those who have watched the yearbooks to post and keep those topics alive. As soon as another yearbook or 80s set gets released and distributed to more people then the type or discussion that Parv is looking for will come back around. Maybe it won't but that is what was driving the discussion he misses. With the GWE project, everyone is watching their own pocket of blind spots so the discussion isn't really community focused but individual focused. When the results come in or when ballots start to get posted, the arguments will flow, the blood will boil and we'll see a spark in interaction here. Unfortunately for Parv, there are a larger group of people focused on the Mania build and WWE product (its march), more of us are looking for current day alternatives (ROH, New Japan) and as long as that is what is people are watching, that is what people will talk about.

• 4 weeks later...