Pro Wrestling Only

Dean Allmark

Grimmas

Can't really see a case for him. I guess I've never really been an Allmark guy. I'm not anti kitsch wrestling, but the way he goes about it keeps me at a distance from most of his work. There's something almost unbelievable, in a bad way, about the way he works a match.

He's not going to make my list and I am not even really considering him, but for me Allmark is one of those wrestlers who gets the desired reaction and that's a big part of the battle. He knows his audience and gives them what they want. There is *something* to be said for that. He clearly works for the reactions, too. This isn't a Hogan deal where he is over almost entirely independent of his in-ring work. Allmark's selling and ability to milk comebacks play a big role in the reactions he gets.

He is one dimensional save for the Wrestle-1 match, PCW matches, and occasional ASW matches (American Dragon from '08, James Mason match from '13, ect.) where he steps outside of his comfort zone a bit. He's also not so transcendent in his style (and his style might not be good enough either) to overcome that. He's not Volk Han in terms of guys that did one thing but did it so well that they warrant heavy consideration. I am a fan of his act though and think it is hard to ignore the reactions his matches get.

Dean Allmark is someone who I discovered only a couple years ago but once that happened I'm not sure he's a guy I can consider outside of the Top 100 in a given year (Some Top 100 in '12 '13 '14 ect.). That being said, not a Top 100 ALL TIMER. Which isn't a slight to him at all but it is hard for me to rally behind a guy that I don't think has enough marquee matches to his name and often matches at least on the cusp of greatness come with James Mason who I'm not even considering either.

• 3 weeks later...

He's the 'ace' of my favourite indie promotion so I'm going to find room for him. Allmark has his flaws but not enough to take away from the sterling job he does in his role. He's handy on the mat, times his comebacks well and builds to a hot fun finish. Formulaic? Yes, but, like Kyle Matthews (who also has a shot at my list), he always draws me in. He gets kids from the flats standing in their chairs waving their foam fingers, which is something I value highly.

Also his youtube channel's a godsend.

• 7 years later...