Pro Wrestling Only

[2015-02-11-WWE-NXT Takeover: Rival] Sasha Banks vs Charlotte vs Bayley vs Becky Lynch

Loss

Pretty solid spotfest and all of them are pretty good in the ring. Charlotte still has a little awkwardness but nothing that won't go away in time. I just think she's so naturally talented that it's easy to overlook how a lot of her stuff looks a little unseasoned. Another throwaway match, but a good showcase of the women in NXT.

• 2 months later...

I get why they did the 4-way match. Bayley gets her new attitude, Becky gets separated from Sasha and Charlotte doesn't look weak losing in a 4-way with all the double teaming. I'm still not a fan of these kind of matches and I thnk they would have been better served putting Sasha over in singles after the explosion of the alliances. Match is fine for a 4-way match. Those are usually sloppy and hard to get right in my opinion so it's not something I was looking forward to in the first place.

• 4 months later...

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this. Really liked how they were able to keep a constant flow of action throughout without having it deteriorate into a spotfest. Also, they were able to work the match in a fairly logical way which is rare for a multiperson free-for-all type match. If any of them were taken out of the match for awhile, it was always as a result of a significant move of some kind. Overall, a very well worked and entertaining match. ****

• 4 months later...

Nice spotfest here with Lynch & Banks working together at first, throwing Charlotte into a hard LED screen hanging off of an apron (what a stupid engineering idea actually.) They'd of course go at it, resulting in Lynch grabbing Banks from behind and giving a pumphandle slam to her friend. They'd all dive on the outside and then Charlotte got back in, only for Banks to get in and go to war with her again. Banks kept Bayley and Lynch on the outside and got a tremendously angled crossface on Charlotte. The champion couldn't reach the ropes but refused to tap out, so after having enough neck damage inflicted, Banks rolled her over for a crucifix pin to get that elusive championship victory. ***1/4

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2015-02-11-WWE-NXT Takeover: Rival] Sasha Banks vs Charlotte vs Bayley vs Becky Lynch
  • 1 year later...

The video package set up the build to the match really well. Giving a brief history to all these people with each other and how they link. What their motivations are. The match showcases that well. Everyone is aggressive, seems determined to get the win. The wrestling was very exciting. Everyone got a little time to shine and have some good sequences. Banks had some great character work. Bayley showed tons of fight and aggression in this match. Charlotte had her moments and Becky... ur a big forgettable if I'm honest. Good match for the most part. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

Bayley looks READY coming out here. It’s interesting how much the build to this has been about her chasing Charlotte, knowing the result and ensuing direction. Becky is in shorts for the first time instead of her holdover Rebecca Knox gear. She also already has her babyface theme music even though she’s still a heel teaming with Sasha here, and it sounds ODD. 

Charlotte being rammed into the newly installed LED apron board and breaking it is the kind of corny shit that works in NXT. The inevitable Becky-Sasha split happened early thankfully with Becky picking her up and HURLING HER INTO NEXT WEEK. Sasha took off in Orlando and fair dinkum landed in Tallahassee. 

Everyone was working out of their skin and busting shit out. Becky does the wackiest submission. Charlotte invents neckbreakers as she goes along for everyone. She also spears Becky into oblivion. Sashs does the hanging knees on two birds at once. Bayley hits another Frankensteiner off the top and also a great dive through the turnbuckles on the floor (a great spot, considering in the build Bayley flat out admitted she was taking inspiration from Sami Zayn needing to find an edge to win the title). Then you get the next level of escalation, Sasha hitting a bullet of a tope, and then Charlotte following with a plancha on the lot of them. Shit is getting crazy and the moves are getting crazier. It's a nice metaphor for the entire division and movement levelling up a gear in real time.

The best part of this match comes here, where Bayley hits the big B2B off the top on Charlotte, and Sasha flies in and dumps Bayley and steals the pin like every asshole in WWE just for Charlotte to KICK and everyone went nuts and Charlotte is literally laying there LAUGHING HER HEAD OFF. She could not contain her reaction. They HAD them. They knew they had them. And these girls would continue to have them for the next few months, in a way nobody had ever witnessed before. And for every year thereafter. That’s the kind of smack high that wrestlers chase their entire lives. 

The other best part of the match was what came next - the actual finish. Sasha DIDN’T win by sneaking a pin after a big babyface finisher like literally every heel in WWE wins literally every single multi-person match. Script flipped. Sasha knuckes down and slaps HER finisher straight on this fucker and just pulls and pulls and pulls until Charlotte has no choice but to tap but she DOESN’T tap because she’s Charlotte fucking Flair but Sasha just rips her up until she dies and then rolls her up into a pin that she has no life left to kick out of. No bullshit, no throwing the face out and stealing the pin, no cheating. Sasha drained the life out of her. She BEAT Charlotte. She was better. So she’s the champion. 

This is also more than deserved since Sasha has been the best worker in the division for a while, she was the clear MVP of this match, and whenever Sami buggers off from TV she will be the best wrestler in NXT. I already loved her the first time around, and I am GIDDY at the prospect of her run really just beginning. 

The post match was weird, but in a beautiful, authentic way. Charlotte has been pushed as such a dominant ace of the division during her reign, despite her lack of experience. She’s just so effortlessly… Charlotte. So beating her is a big deal, and felt like a big deal. And her reaction here, sitting in the ring in fucking disbelief that one of these kids half her size actually beat her… Charlotte is so green and can come off wooden on promos or in backstage moments, but her physical acting and selling in the ring, especially at times like this, she just nails it at a level that defies the fact that she’s been working for less than 2 years and has still only really had a handful of wrestling matches in her life. 

The eventual “handshake” as it happened was beautiful. Charlotte, defeated ace, graciously holds out her hand - Charlotte isn’t an evil heel, just a dominant, cocky champion. She can accept defeat fair and square. Sasha is SO TEMPTED TO SHAKE IT, her whole origin story is the sweet girl who wasn’t getting anywhere as a babyface, so allowed Summer Rae to corrupt her into being a heel for some easy wins. She took the low road. Here was a chance to redeem herself… and she couldn’t do it. She’s used to being the bad guy now, and she kind of likes it. So she tries to get in Charlotte’s face, but Charlotte is a giant Amazon woman, and she wants this fucking moment whether Sasha likes it or not, and forcibly pulls her in for a hug, which Sasha accepts long enough for Charlotte to decide it was too long and pushes her away, and then Sasha remembers where she is (like dorks getting caught cheering Cena at the Rumble) and SHOVES her and throws the title in her face to remind her who’s boss (sorry). Very weird, very awkward, but very real.