Pro Wrestling Only

Comments and Current WWE threads

goodhelmet

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the two posts above. I often used those threads for stuff that I wanted to mention but I expected no replies on, which is OK, because me getting a reply was not the goal. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Many times you read something, think "good stuff" or "interesting" or whatever, and move on.

This is likely to make people post less, not more. In fact yesterday night I was going to make a comment about the stock price on the "comments that don't deserve a thread" but I saw that it was locked and as it was late I logged off.

My only complaint about this board (which is a minor one and something I can live with) is that sometimes I don't come here for a few days and I see 9 or 10 pages of new stuff so I end up missing or deliberately skipping a good chunk of it because I don't have the time to go through pages and pages of content. This is mostly due to the yearbook/single match/interview threads which serve their purpose and shouldn't change, but the megathreads not being there isn't going to help.

I was listening to Staying Alive and I thought to myself "I am a dancing man and I just can't lose" that might be my favorite lyric of all time. Then I thought damn what a great catchphrase that would have been for Disco Inferno. I went to post it in the Comments That Don't Warrant A Thread because it is a comment that does not warrant a thread. I found it was locked. Now I am sad. I hope this post changes this ruling because I saw that thread as a great way to capture my one-off musings.

But when you're dancing man, you just can't lose, so Im off to put my boogie shoes on and get down at work.

I was listening to Staying Alive and I thought to myself "I am a dancing man and I just can't lose" that might be my favorite lyric of all time. Then I thought damn what a great catchphrase that would have been for Disco Inferno. I went to post it in the Comments That Don't Warrant A Thread because it is a comment that does not warrant a thread. I found it was locked. Now I am sad. I hope this post changes this ruling because I saw that thread as a great way to capture my one-off musings.

But when you're dancing man, you just can't lose, so Im off to put my boogie shoes on and get down at work.

Why not make a thread discussing song lyrics that should be used as wrestling catch phrases?

I think this is going to have the opposite effect of what you want and lead to less discussion instead of more. Making a new topic is far more daunting a prospect than simply dropping a random thought in a megathread. Anything worthy of more discussion in a megathread can just be moved out into it's own topic.

I'm not gonna start a whole thread about the interesting tidbit I read in a 1993 Observer. It fit perfectly in the Comments megathread though.

I think this is going to have the opposite effect of what you want and lead to less discussion instead of more. Making a new topic is far more daunting a prospect than simply dropping a random thought in a megathread. Anything worthy of more discussion in a megathread can just be moved out into it's own topic.

I'm not gonna start a whole thread about the interesting tidbit I read in a 1993 Observer. It fit perfectly in the Comments megathread though.

The problem is every page has a 3 page discussion on a single post. It has become a giant mess to follow any topic in there.

I never really felt that way and it was one of the topics I followed most closely. Most things brought up there only really illicit 1 or 2 responses anyway. Sometimes you might have something to post that really won't generate discussion but that is an interesting note or observation.

I went through all my posts in the Comments megathread since February and they were: A link to a Buxx Belmar match where the finishing stretch is built around a used condom, a quote from Gary Hart's book about referee Rick Hazzard being cut up by the Yakuza while on a trip to Japan, a post about Abdullah the Butcher working babyface in Montreal and a post expressing surprise at seeing Austin Idol in Montreal footage due to his fear of flying. I wouldn't even contemplate making a thread for those posts if there wasn't a catch-all for stuff like that.

The only post I could find that might have been topic worthy was another quote from Gary Hart's book that included a financial breakdown of the costs of running a territory that I thought was very insightful. I don't think anyone even responded to the post though.

This decision is going over about as well as having Reigns win the Royal Rumble and Bryan lose to Shemus in 18 seconds a couple of Wrestlemanias ago. The general comments and current WWE megathreads were daily reading for me.

Are the mods turning heel? The bookers shouldn't turn the mods heel yet. They're still plenty over as faces.

Nobody is turning heel.

Neither Loss or I were fans of the threads in the first place.

Loss's first post in the thread is as follows...

Let's try this again. I was trying to clean some things up in the last one and accidentally deleted the entire thing. Reminder: Anything that you anticipate going more than 1-2 posts should be its own thread. I'd prefer for this not to be so big. Thanks.

That was written over 4 years ago. People ignored it and for a long time, we let it slide, but I would go in there and have to sift through three pages of a discussion that DESERVED its own thread. In the meantime, other posters are posting random thoughts not associated with the three page discussion that should have been its own thread in the first place.

For smaller companies (TNA, ROH, Modern Indys) we have given them their own threads and that is fine. They haven't become so huge or important that they become a chore to sift through.

The original idea of the Megathread forum was not to have a place where people can just post random thoughts in a convenient storage area that others have to sift through. It was supposed to be an archive of threads that people may have find memories of and go back and read. We may have been too generous in letting it become people's playground and I'll accept some of the blame for that.

As a mod, it is much easier to merge the occasional threads than clicking on individual posts splitting and creating a new topic. If a problem occurs in a discussion, and it happens enough, it is much easier to clean up a smaller thread than a bigger one that becomes too big to fail.

For Current WWE, I like to post random thoughts on RAW or SD as they happen if I am watching live. It's part of the experience for me. Last night's RAW had 5 pages of comments and running. It clearly deserved its own thread. Thankfully, even though we have grown, we are still small enough that we don't have to prevent posters commenting on a show as it happens the way a site like DVDVR has to. When Brock Lesnar signed hi newest contract, somebody created a thread but people still felt it was necessary to post their thoughts on the Brock Lesnar signing in the Current WWE thread. It isn't what the spirit of those threads was intended to be.

I hope it doesn't drive away people from creating new topics. I love creating new topics and reading new topics on the board. Someone complained about all of the WrestleMania threads created and that was by design. I was not excited about Mania going into the show but I wanted to be!!! I did 9 podcasts in 8 days and wanted as much Mania talk as possible to keep interest high including creating threads. Most of those threads were well received so I won't apologize for them and would rather have too many topics than nothing to talk about.

I will respond to specific posts when I get home.

Nobody is turning heel.

Neither Loss or I were fans of the threads in the first place.

Loss's first post in the thread is as follows...

Let's try this again. I was trying to clean some things up in the last one and accidentally deleted the entire thing. Reminder: Anything that you anticipate going more than 1-2 posts should be its own thread. I'd prefer for this not to be so big. Thanks.

That was written over 4 years ago. People ignored it and for a long time, we let it slide, but I would go in there and have to sift through three pages of a discussion that DESERVED its own thread. In the meantime, other posters are posting random thoughts not associated with the three page discussion that should have been its own thread in the first place.

For smaller companies (TNA, ROH, Modern Indys) we have given them their own threads and that is fine. They haven't become so huge or important that they become a chore to sift through.

The original idea of the Megathread forum was not to have a place where people can just post random thoughts in a convenient storage area that others have to sift through. It was supposed to be an archive of threads that people may have find memories of and go back and read. We may have been too generous in letting it become people's playground and I'll accept some of the blame for that.

As a mod, it is much easier to merge the occasional threads than clicking on individual posts splitting and creating a new topic. If a problem occurs in a discussion, and it happens enough, it is much easier to clean up a smaller thread than a bigger one that becomes too big to fail.

For Current WWE, I like to post random thoughts on RAW or SD as they happen if I am watching live. It's part of the experience for me. Last night's RAW had 5 pages of comments and running. It clearly deserved its own thread. Thankfully, even though we have grown, we are still small enough that we don't have to prevent posters commenting on a show as it happens the way a site like DVDVR has to. When Brock Lesnar signed hi newest contract, somebody created a thread but people still felt it was necessary to post their thoughts on the Brock Lesnar signing in the Current WWE thread. It isn't what the spirit of those threads was intended to be.

I hope it doesn't drive away people from creating new topics. I love creating new topics and reading new topics on the board. Someone complained about all of the WrestleMania threads created and that was by design. I was not excited about Mania going into the show but I wanted to be!!! I did 9 podcasts in 8 days and wanted as much Mania talk as possible to keep interest high including creating threads. Most of those threads were well received so I won't apologize for them and would rather have too many topics than nothing to talk about.

I will respond to specific posts when I get home.

I see your point on the current WWE thread. I like it because I don't follow the modern product that closely and it's a great way to check in with what people are saying in general and chime in every now and then without having to wade through endless new threads about modern WWE on the main board. But I understand why you'd want to close it.

I don't see your point on closing the comments megathread. It's one of the best things here. I've learned so many cool little things from that thread that I never would have had it not existed. Nobody is going to start a new thread to find out if Bam Bam Bigelow actually saved kids from a fire or to get a quick answer about Abdullah the Butcher being a babyface in Montreal. A lot of the little things in the comments megathread is what makes PWO so great.

"Well Loss and I didn't like them" doesn't feel like a very good reason to kill the Comments megathread when a ton of people clearly DID like it and were using it. I still don't see how that won't have a big effect on all the random tidbits you'd get from old observers & people's random watching. I will right now post 5 random posts from that thread that are truly "comments that don't warrant a thread" that will now just be things that no longer have a place to be posted here:

• "Watching the January 17th 1983 episode of Mid-South. If you have Andre, Ernie Ladd, the Samoans, Dusty and the Junkyard Dog in town at the same time you know that some restaurants made a years worth that evening."
  • "I often wonder if Wahoo was either mildly annoyed or if he didn't care that most of the wrestlers referred to him as Wahoo McDaniels instead of Wahoo McDaniel."
  • "I know the CMLL world heavyweight title doesn't mean that much, but it's still kind of amazing that in all of wrestling the first father/son combo to win the same world title is Super Porky and Maximo. "
  • "So I'm watching the terrible Southern Boys/Master Blasters match from Havoc '90 solely for the finish and Cornette and Heyman sniping on commentary, and early on the crowd breaks out in a brief but loud "LOD! LOD!" chant for the Blasters. People are visibly laughing and pointing at them. Yeeeeouch."
  • "Watching some Gulf Coast from the 70s today and I just saw a match with Dutch Mantel working as Dutch Bass the kayfabe brother of Ron Bass. I had no idea Dutch and Ron worked as a kayfabe brother team."

I suppose one could argue that the board wouldn't really lose anything by losing those posts but I wouldn't agree with that at all.

I am going to attempt to address all issues brought up in the thread. If you don't like my answers, I apologize in advance.

I prefer one big thread with lots of discussion than a bunch of threads with very few posts.

We all have our preferences, it just happens that I prefer the opposite... smaller threads easier to wade through with the ability to skip topics that I don't want to read about. I also think it is easier for newer members to navigate smaller threads than navigating through big threads.

news and reports that really don't warrant a thread

If a news item generates multiple posts, it probably warrants a thread. However, I am not opposed to a "Non-WWE Wrestling News for Month" thread.

I agree with the two posts above. I often used those threads for stuff that I wanted to mention but I expected no replies on, which is OK, because me getting a reply was not the goal. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Many times you read something, think "good stuff" or "interesting" or whatever, and move on.

This is likely to make people post less, not more. In fact yesterday night I was going to make a comment about the stock price on the "comments that don't deserve a thread" but I saw that it was locked and as it was late I logged off.

I have known you a long time Jose. We have to have a WWE stock price thread somewhere and if not, create the WWE Stocks thread. The lack of a megathread shouldn't prevent that.

Could there be a "current" folder?

I am actually not opposed to creating more sub forums to divide modern product and classic wrestling. I don't know how the other mods feel so why don't you create a post in the feedback forum to get mod/admin feedback on the creation of such a sub-forum.

Grimmas already addressed this. However, this is a post that screams for its own thread. It is the exact opposite of what the Comments thread was designed for.

Are general discussion threads like "WWE in April 2015" allowed?

I am sure we will come to some small compromises. I don't know if this is the answer but it sounds reasonable on the surface. However, if this becomes your thread to discuss RAW when there is a RAW thread with 6 pages then it sort of defeats the purpose.

Initially, maybe, if there are any protest members who refuse to post because the thread was locked. Hopefully, those members come around.

A link to a Buxx Belmar match where the finishing stretch is built around a used condom
a quote from Gary Hart's book about referee Rick Hazzard being cut up by the Yakuza while on a trip to Japan
a post about Abdullah the Butcher working babyface in Montreal and a post expressing surprise at seeing Austin Idol in Montreal footage due to his fear of flying
I wouldn't even contemplate making a thread for those posts if there wasn't a catch-all for stuff like that.
The only post I could find that might have been topic worthy was another quote from Gary Hart's book that included a financial breakdown of the costs of running a territory that I thought was very insightful

A quick thought on threads that could be created from these topics that don't have to be tedious and could inspire other posters to post responses or other cool shit...

Cool Wrestling Book Quotes - Now it isn't just reserved for Gary HArt but also for other cool wrestling book quotes we find along the way

Absurd matches - This could probably be a youtube thread or something similar

Montreal Catch All thread - Your Abdullah thought is still captured but someone like Dave Musgrave can go crazy with that Canadian love.

Wrestling Observer Quotes from the Past - There is a DVDVR thread with absurd Meltzer musings that is about 200 pages long. We have a super duper Meltzer thread that could have fit in.

Too much a hassle to read all individual threads about goofy questions. I'll miss the megathread.

Create a goofy question thread (actually I think we have one).

As George Harrison said... "All Things Must Pass"

Nobody is going to start a new thread to find out if Bam Bam Bigelow actually saved kids from a fire or to get a quick answer about Abdullah the Butcher being a babyface in Montreal.

The first one could be addressed in a Wrestling Questions thread. The second I addressed above.

"Watching the January 17th 1983 episode of Mid-South. If you have Andre, Ernie Ladd, the Samoans, Dusty and the Junkyard Dog in town at the same time you know that some restaurants made a years worth that evening."
"I often wonder if Wahoo was either mildly annoyed or if he didn't care that most of the wrestlers referred to him as Wahoo McDaniels instead of Wahoo McDaniel."
"I know the CMLL world heavyweight title doesn't mean that much, but it's still kind of amazing that in all of wrestling the first father/son combo to win the same world title is Super Porky and Maximo. "
"So I'm watching the terrible Southern Boys/Master Blasters match from Havoc '90 solely for the finish and Cornette and Heyman sniping on commentary, and early on the crowd breaks out in a brief but loud "LOD! LOD!" chant for the Blasters. People are visibly laughing and pointing at them. Yeeeeouch."
"Watching some Gulf Coast from the 70s today and I just saw a match with Dutch Mantel working as Dutch Bass the kayfabe brother of Ron Bass. I had no idea Dutch and Ron worked as a kayfabe brother team."

As micro threads, they don't deserve their own threads but every single one of these could be the start of a bigger thread.

1. MId South TV thread - You still get your quote in and other people can make comments about favorite Mid South TV moments

2. We have a Wrestling Quotes thread pinned. Just add the actual quote of somebody butchering his name and then add the comment.

3. Do we have a CMLL catch-all thread? Seems like something tailor made for Kris Zellner. If enough people don't want to talk about CMLL only, a Catch All lucha thread would be fine.

4. Watching WCW in 1990 or Stupid Moments in 1990s WCW - I bet people would chime in on that thread in a heartbeat.

5. Old School Territory Thoughts - I bet Parv would love this one. Hell, you could use this for the Abdullah quote from above as well if you don't think there is enough interest in Montreal.

You have now created 5 long term threads that cater to people's specific tastes and generate discussion without cluttering up the board which is a problem that Jose was concerned with.

Why not run this by the posters first?

I did. They are called mods and admins.

We value the opinions of our posters but I am guessing that most people will miss these for awhile and then move on to creating cool threads. I like the idea of an old school and modern product sub forums and if you have any new suggestions about how to improve the board, you can post them here. We are always looking to improve this place. If I didn't think this change would improve the board, I wouldn't give it a shot. I also said I am open to small compromises but we'll discuss those with the other mdos and admins before implementing them . I tried to address each post made here. If I didn't value member feedback, I wouldn't have bothered to create this thread and I wouldn't have responded to each post made in here.

EDIT: The following post would fit perfectly in an already existing thread....

"So I'm watching the terrible Southern Boys/Master Blasters match from Havoc '90 solely for the finish and Cornette and Heyman sniping on commentary, and early on the crowd breaks out in a brief but loud "LOD! LOD!" chant for the Blasters. People are visibly laughing and pointing at them. Yeeeeouch."

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/11892-wcw-ongoing-thread/

As micro threads, they don't deserve their own threads but every single one of these could be the start of a bigger thread.

1. MId South TV thread - You still get your quote in and other people can make comments about favorite Mid South TV moments

2. We have a Wrestling Quotes thread pinned. Just add the actual quote of somebody butchering his name and then add the comment.

3. Do we have a CMLL catch-all thread? Seems like something tailor made for Kris Zellner. If enough people don't want to talk about CMLL only, a Catch All lucha thread would be fine.

4. Watching WCW in 1990 or Stupid Moments in 1990s WCW - I bet people would chime in on that thread in a heartbeat.

5. Old School Territory Thoughts - I bet Parv would love this one. Hell, you could use this for the Abdullah quote from above as well if you don't think there is enough interest in Montreal.

You have now created 5 long term threads that cater to people's specific tastes and generate discussion without cluttering up the board which is a problem that Jose was concerned with.

As long as you don't shut these types of threads down once they (inevitably, IMO) veer off into a bunch of different directions or start getting multiple replies to posts that may be worthy of their own thread just like the comments megathread did, it's got a good chance of working. We'll still lose some of the randomness that made PWO so much fun and unique compared to other boards, but hopefully we'll retain a good portion of it.

I guess it's up to us board members who enjoyed all the neat things in the comments megathread to now bring as much of that type of thing out into the regular board if we want to keep that vibe going. Challenge accepted!