Pro Wrestling Only

Comments and Current WWE threads

goodhelmet

As micro threads, they don't deserve their own threads but every single one of these could be the start of a bigger thread.

1. MId South TV thread - You still get your quote in and other people can make comments about favorite Mid South TV moments

2. We have a Wrestling Quotes thread pinned. Just add the actual quote of somebody butchering his name and then add the comment.

3. Do we have a CMLL catch-all thread? Seems like something tailor made for Kris Zellner. If enough people don't want to talk about CMLL only, a Catch All lucha thread would be fine.

4. Watching WCW in 1990 or Stupid Moments in 1990s WCW - I bet people would chime in on that thread in a heartbeat.

5. Old School Territory Thoughts - I bet Parv would love this one. Hell, you could use this for the Abdullah quote from above as well if you don't think there is enough interest in Montreal.

You have now created 5 long term threads that cater to people's specific tastes and generate discussion without cluttering up the board which is a problem that Jose was concerned with.

As long as you don't shut these types of threads down once they (inevitably, IMO) veer off into a bunch of different directions or start getting multiple replies to posts that may be worthy of their own thread just like the comments megathread did, it's got a good chance of working. We'll still lose some of the randomness that made PWO so much fun and unique compared to other boards, but hopefully we'll retain a good portion of it.

I guess it's up to us board members who enjoyed all the neat things in the comments megathread to now bring as much of that type of thing out into the regular board if we want to keep that vibe going. Challenge accepted!

I don't understand the point of the post that doesn't deserve a response? Isn't that what twitter is for?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not every single post everyone makes on this board is going to lead to further discussion, that's not realistic. There is very much a value to posts that don't deserve responses. No one responded to my post about Dutch Mantel working as Ron Bass' kayfabe brother in Gulf Coast but I have to assume at least one person found it interesting to read.

Not every single post everyone makes on this board is going to lead to further discussion, that's not realistic. There is very much a value to posts that don't deserve responses. No one responded to my post about Dutch Mantel working as Ron Bass' kayfabe brother in Gulf Coast but I have to assume at least one person found it interesting to read.

Yup. That's exactly the type of stuff I love reading about on this board.

Twitter is more for live reactions to events as they're happening or linking to interesting shit to read or watch.

If I want to opine that Paul Heyman really killed it just now during his Raw promo, I'll take to Twitter.

If I'm really impressed by an analytical piece someone wrote about WWE financials, I'll share the link with my Twitter followers (and come to PWO to see if it's being discussed in depth).

If I want to marvel at the thickness of Kamala's beard in 1988 or wonder what type of tobacco Skinner was chewing during his 1991 vignettes, I come to PWO.

See the issue is that post had no responses, while you could had started a thread about kayfabe brother teams and had an interesting discussion.

The mega threads lead to a stifling of conversation or great discussions being buried and missed due to so many any other posts.

I disagree. I love the discussions in the comments thread, as it's a great potporruri of different wrestling factoids or thoughts. I'd prefer not to start a thread everytime I have a one liner or thought about wrestling.

Current WWE was a perfect dumping ground for thoughts about the WWE product.

I disagree. I love the discussions in the comments thread, as it's a great potporruri of different wrestling factoids or thoughts. I'd prefer not to start a thread everytime I have a one liner or thought about wrestling.

What is a one liner or thought about wrestling that you can't spin into a discussion, if not what is the point of posting it on a discussion thread.

Anything you can think about relates to a broader topic.

And then you just flood the main page with topic after topic. If there are too many topics to read, I probably won't read any of them, but I liked scrolling through Comments. I'm the one who brought up the Bam Bam fire thing. It was a simple yes or no answer. I didn't want nor need it to be spun into a topic.

It's cool. We have heard your opinion but the thread isn't coming back anytime soon.

As long as you don't shut these types of threads down once they (inevitably, IMO) veer off into a bunch of different directions or start getting multiple replies to posts that may be worthy of their own thread just like the comments megathread did, it's got a good chance of working.

There will be exceptions to every rule. In the GOAT threads, a discussion occasionally sparks a secondary discussion that we will split off. However, those will be the exceptions, not the rule.

And then you just flood the main page with topic after topic. If there are too many topics to read, I probably won't read any of them, but I liked scrolling through Comments.

Definitely agree here. I get the idea that the megathreads were becoming large and unmanageable, but plenty of what went there doesn't make for much a of standalone thread. Early impression is that its as if Amazon splintered off a dozen sites and told me I need to go to a new .com for books, video games, household items, third party retailers and other small items. Ease of navigation seems to be the big loss thus far.

That was written over 4 years ago. People ignored it and for a long time, we let it slide, but I would go in there and have to sift through three pages of a discussion that DESERVED its own thread. In the meantime, other posters are posting random thoughts not associated with the three page discussion that should have been its own thread in the first place.

This is where I disagree. I thought PWO had the perfect balance. It allowed megathreads but kept them in their folder, while still encouraging discussion. Many boards become hypocritical in this regard. Administrators speak out against megathreads, but it turns out to be megathreads they don't like, but other megathreads are just fine. The WWE Network thread is 136 pages. Should the megathreads about Ric Flair, JR (which has become a catch all JR thread instead of a how horrible he is thread), Meltzer and Keller be closed?

Last night's RAW had 5 pages of comments and running. It clearly deserved its own thread.

That was the post-WM RAW which is traditionally the biggest RAW of the year. Of course it deserves its own thread, but when WWE goes back into its lulls, a catch-all thread to discuss WWE is more than appropriate. It's much more convenient to read one thread than wading through topic after topic, and that's what the site has turned into since you closed the thread.

When Brock Lesnar signed hi newest contract, somebody created a thread but people still felt it was necessary to post their thoughts on the Brock Lesnar signing in the Current WWE thread. It isn't what the spirit of those threads was intended to be.

That I agree with.

I love creating new topics and reading new topics on the board.

I like topics too but you can absolutely overload a main page with topics, and that seems to be what's happening here. I, and a lot of other posters apparently, like having a bullshit thread where they can post their random thoughts and move on for the day. Not everyone is you and likes creating topics and seeing new topics. Sometimes a one-off comment is all it takes. That seems to be the sentiment in this thread.

Someone complained about all of the WrestleMania threads created and that was by design.

I was one of those people. It felt like spamming at one point and it was annoying how each thread seemed to have its own parameters of what we could and couldn't discuss. I just want to talk Mania, I don't feel like going into five different threads to discuss it in.

would rather have too many topics than nothing to talk about.

There should be a balance obviously and before the megathreads were struck down, I thought PWO was doing a perfect job of maintaining that balance. Now...not so much.

We all have our preferences, it just happens that I prefer the opposite... smaller threads easier to wade through with the ability to skip topics that I don't want to read about. I also think it is easier for newer members to navigate smaller threads than navigating through big threads.

I completely disagree with this. As a new member, I enjoy seeing big catch all threads, especially ones about Flair or JR or others. For a comments thread, I think you know what it is on the outset and can jump right in. Same with Current WWE. It says what you're supposed to discuss right on the title.

And while it's your board and of course you do what you want, in an ideal world, moderators and administrators should be working to make the board better for its members. I DON'T LIKE THESE TWO THREADS AND I WILL CLOSE THEM I HAVE SPOKEN is not that.

However, I am not opposed to a "Non-WWE Wrestling News for Month" thread.

So you're closing one megathread to create another megathread.

However, this is a post that screams for its own thread.

Disagree. It's a perfect one-off comment for a bullshit thoughts thread. Not everyone likes starting threads, which is why comments threads are a nice balance.

All four of those topics you proposed are basically megathreads. Goofy questions thread...also megathread.

I did. They are called mods and admins.

So, no you didn't. What would've been the harm in starting a thread in feedback saying me and Loss are thinking of closing Comments and Current WWE thread and here's why and let posters discuss and debate it. The reaction to this been almost all negative, which shows that you aren't listening to what people prefer.

I don't understand the point of the post that doesn't deserve a response? Isn't that what twitter is for?

No, it's what random thoughts threads like those comments threads are for.

The mega threads lead to a stifling of conversation or great discussions being buried and missed due to so many any other posts.

Creating too many topics leads to the same thing.

You do realize there is about 6 administrators too, it's not just Charles and Will? We all discussed this and sent in our feedback.

Also, can some please tell me the appeal of leaving one off comments with no response on a discussion board? What is the purpose? If you aren't here to discuss wrestling, but are just here to make one off comments and read those then we have completely different views of what a discussion board should be.

EDIT:

The too many topics being discussed thing seems ridiculous, because they are all maintained on the front page.

If there was so many topics that the discussion sections went through a couple of pages, I could see everyone's point.

For the record, we aren't opposed to big monolithic threads. WE created the megathread forum for a reason. We are creating a method where people don't have to sift through 6 pages of topics that don't interest them to find a topic that does interest them. Create a megathread of quotes!!! Cool. Create a megathread of silly shit in wrestling. Cool!!! create a thread on how much you hate Rusev! Cool!!! You are equating the idea of a "Comments that don't warrant a Response" thread with all megathreads. The Dave Meltzer thread is 130+ pages. Cool! People interested in Meltzer and his product know exactly where to go and have 130+ pages to read through.

As for the main board right now, without the megathreads. I see several new topics today and I can look at the front page and decide from the topic title immediately if I want to open that topic or not. This bothers you. I am sorry you are bothered. If it starts to bother the mods and admins then we may change it in the future. However, as stated in one of my earlier posts. The Comments thread was never meant to be a potpourri free for all thread. It wasn't meant to generate discussion. It was meant to post shit that didn't fit anywhere else and not respond to. It failed and people failed to comply with the spirit of the thread. It's gone now.

For everyone else, we may create some subforums to help people digest the content they prefer to talk about but nothing anytime soon. We are going to monitor the current situation for the time being.

Facts, not factoids. They're two different beasts.

Related to that, lots of boards have a "questions that don't need their own thread" thread. Is that off limits too? I get that if you have a question that can legitimately spark a conversation and discussion, make a thread. But sometimes people have little one off questions that this place is good for answering, but don't require discussion. I used the "Comments that don't deserve their own thread" thread for that before, but now there might not always be an appropriate thread to put it in, unless I really go digging and bump up a several year old topic because it might be relevant.

As micro threads, they don't deserve their own threads but every single one of these could be the start of a bigger thread.

1. MId South TV thread - You still get your quote in and other people can make comments about favorite Mid South TV moments

2. We have a Wrestling Quotes thread pinned. Just add the actual quote of somebody butchering his name and then add the comment.

3. Do we have a CMLL catch-all thread? Seems like something tailor made for Kris Zellner. If enough people don't want to talk about CMLL only, a Catch All lucha thread would be fine.

4. Watching WCW in 1990 or Stupid Moments in 1990s WCW - I bet people would chime in on that thread in a heartbeat.

5. Old School Territory Thoughts - I bet Parv would love this one. Hell, you could use this for the Abdullah quote from above as well if you don't think there is enough interest in Montreal.

You have now created 5 long term threads that cater to people's specific tastes and generate discussion without cluttering up the board which is a problem that Jose was concerned with.

As long as you don't shut these types of threads down once they (inevitably, IMO) veer off into a bunch of different directions or start getting multiple replies to posts that may be worthy of their own thread just like the comments megathread did, it's got a good chance of working. We'll still lose some of the randomness that made PWO so much fun and unique compared to other boards, but hopefully we'll retain a good portion of it.

I guess it's up to us board members who enjoyed all the neat things in the comments megathread to now bring as much of that type of thing out into the regular board if we want to keep that vibe going. Challenge accepted!

We want to drive discussion away from here and to Twitter?

I think most people here know me and how much I champion this board everywhere I go. I still believe it's the best place on the internet to discuss wrestling. However, I liked coming here and not having to wade through tons of topics and getting my WWE fix through one topic or popping in and out of the Comments thread to see what wacky shit people are posting about now. I think the response I quoted above gets to the heart of why PWO works as well as it does, it's a community. Saying, "Just go discuss that stuff on Twitter" is a slap in the face to the community that has been built. This general ruling feels like a slap in the face to the community as a whole.

It's your board, run it the way you want, but when the people are speaking and they are not fans of the new changes I think that speaks volumes. I know for me I'll probably be around less, because the community aspect is really what makes this place special in my mind. But, if it's gotten to the point where people are being told to take their wrestling thoughts and discuss it elsewhere, then that's not much of a community is it?

The idea, as far as I understand it, is to make more meaningful threads that can be used long term instead of having a few general catch all ones. There'll be growing pains but once a few of these threads are established there shouldn't a thousand popping up (just a hundred, relatively), and in theory, all discussion will be better organized.

This is getting friction because of people being happy with the status quo, because of understandable laziness, and people being unsure whether or not to make a new thread or where to put things.

I see the argument on both sides, but I think in practice, the community will probably find a middle ground like Will's saying. If someone has a general question about the AWA TV title tournament, it'll probably end up in a General AWA Questions thread instead of a General Questions and Comments thread. There won't necessarily need to be a specific thread about the AWA TV Title Tournament.

If that's the big difference, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Wade through a lot of different topics on the front page, or wade through a lot of different posts in a single thread....I see how this could be an improvement, I see how this could just be a lateral move...not really seeing how this is a board-ruining calamity.

I have stayed out of this.

My thoughts in brief.

I had no problem with the Comments thread but I found it to be utterly worthless and uninteresting the vast majority of the time. I actually think Grimmas point about Twitter is dead on there in the sense that if I am going to make random quips that are by virtue of their inclusion in that thread not worthy of discussion, Twitter is where I am going to go. I guess you could say that broadly speaking the Animated GIF Culture nature of that Comments thread made it totally unappealing to me so I rarely went in it. That said, I had no real problem with it staying open. I think some of the complaints in here are bizarre (clicking on a bunch of threads that are clearly labeled is hard/annoying?).

The Current WWE thread on the other hand had a lot of stuff I really enjoyed. The problem there is that it was just too broad and led to people ignoring other aspects of the board and turning that thread into a catch all dumping ground for everything WWE. This would not be a big deal if not for the fact that people would often be having the same discussion two or three different places, and/or would bury important stuff in the WWE thread just because it was there instead of starting a new topic that would be more focused. I wouldn't say I was all in favor of locking that thread, but I prefer more focused threads for the reasons I just outlined, and to that end I am fine with it being locked.

Why is everyone seemingly taking the locking of megathreads as knock to the board and a "slap in the face of the community". I don't think the goal is to create an environment where everyone will want to post to the board is as large a priority as it used to be where it seemed to try and make tweaks to be appealing to all BUT I think this change makes it easier for the newcomer to hop onto PWO and not look at the megathreads and see an almost daunting amount of stuff. As someone who doesn't post as regularly as many and rarely ever bothered with the two threads cause it was so dense and even if there was interesting stuff it was either easy to miss or hard to string together the discussion. I wouldn't blame the mods if the sole reason was, "Well, it is a lot of damn work to separate the 6 pages of discussion across 12 pages that appeals to x amount of people." There are still megathreads, just more niche than before so those who don't want to talk about 90% of stuff that takes place within them can more than likely get to the meat.

Also, with Twitter, I know there are a lot of us on there. I know there have been complaints of questions that take up space and don't generate conversation. Why post them on a discussion board? If I have random dumb comments, I'll make them to my Twittah followers. And trust me, I have many. Twitter, terrible place to develop ideas and have conversations on wrestling but works well for that stuff. HERE, works great for talking about wrestling in a slightly more meaningful way. Dylan might post his "Political hit of Roman Reigns" theory on Twitter but I know that I don't get the full scope of his conspiracy theory without a post or something or other. IF you really want the random stuff you can McGuivar a way to get it.

And last but not least, you know Pro Wrestling Only is scripted right? (Some real well built feuds tbh)

I read the comments that don't warrant a thread pretty often, but I can understand not wanting some 300+ page thread with pages of discussion on one topic somewhere in there. I think that this idea, as with most, has it's strengths and weaknesses that most are going to be on one side of or another. I would question this decision being some kind of deal breaker for posting at PWO though.

Do those threads appeal to a certain set of the posters here? Absolutely or they wouldn't exist. But I thought the whole point of PWO was to discuss wrestling, no matter where it was produced or when it came from, with other people who love pro wrestling. My feeling is that the board is fully functional in that respect without the two megathreads. Those who loved that setup will have to adjust, sure. But it's a small thing in the bigger picture when you look at the way this community functions as a whole. Are there that many places out there you can find discussion on whatever wrestling you feel like talking/reading about on that particular day? And if you are one of those who really loved the megathreads, start pitching ideas outside of new megathreads that might fill that gap. Maybe have a catchall thread for the different territories where you could talk about the AWA or Mid South or WCCW or lucha or whatever if that's what you're watching and you have some random seeming post or a question. There's already a dedicated animated GIF thread. It does seem like it would be easier to locate the things you're looking for that way rather than a huge thread with everything.