Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#21 Goodear

Goodear
  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

I hate 'hate watching' wrestling with so many people actively wasting their own time basically to say just bad what they just watched was.  Maybe I'm just busy or something, but I can't see making time to watch something I'm determined to not like.  People who pay to go to shows to deliberately not enjoy themselves are even worse.  How much disposable income do these people have? 

#22 BillThompson

BillThompson
  • Members
  • 1553 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

The seeming acceptance of  moves that lack impact. This should lead into a big rant about why I think Hiroshi Tanhashi is a terrible wrestler, but I'm not going to do that. It's just, throw some fucking strikes that look like they actually hurt. Hit a German Suplex where it doesn't look like your gently setting your opponent down on a pillow. The concept is supposed to be that we're watching people compete against one another; when every move you execute is light as a feather and looks like it wouldn't hurt a fly you're really just making the business look bad. Yet people seem to accept this crap as being great.

Number one though would be shitty gymnastics that expose the business. Johnny Gargano is one of the worst offenders when it comes to this, and AR Fox is catching up to him. I should never have to watch a sequence where you hold a Wristlock on a guy, walk the ropes, and then proceed to jump back and forth between the middle and top rope for a minute while the idiot in the Wristlock just stares at you. And people cheer for this shit, and think it's exciting. It's embarrassing, and watching it I want to throw up in my mouth at how wretched it is.

You have made this point before about Tanahasi German , but I kept forgetting to respond.

First off the German is Human Capture style with his arms not just waist locking but also locking the arms of his opponent at their side. This is key for two reasons. This suplex is in response to a person breaking free of the Dragon Suplex. This is a key set up move for High Fly Flow. If you are hit with a Dragon Suplex by Tanahashi your prospects of winning go down considerably. Thus it is reasonable for the opponent to struggle hard to break free of the Dragon Suplex. Since Tanahasi is the one of best modern wrestling strategists (DaWho5 would you back me up on that?) he counters with the Human Capture Suplex. Moving onto reason number two, the objective if pro wrestling is to pin a mans shoulders down for three. Knocking him out is just one way. A tight cradle or a bridging Suplex with your arms clasped to their side is also a great way. If you think about the chances of kicking out of Tanahashi Human Capture in reality is damn near impossible. The whole point of the move is not knock someone out, it is to pin him! The problem is he does not win any matches with it. That's a New Japan problem. Tanahashi's human capture Suplex is a brilliant counter that stays true to the spirit of pro wrestling.

My wrestling pet peeve right now is people backlashing against Tanahashi because he is overpraised. Dave Meltzer & Co. can you please chill out so  we don't have such a severe backlash against a great wrestler. Thanks in advance, brutha. :D

The issue isn't him knocking a guy out, it's that he places a guy down like he's setting a glass of soda down on the table. Plenty of guys have used the Dragon Suplex, German Suplex, Straightjacket Suplex, etc. and managed to both hold a pinning position and make the move look like it carries impact. It goes beyond that though, because you have moves like his Moonsault where again, he floats onto the opponent in such a way that there's zero believability of that move causing any damage. I've already covered the strikes, but really when he throws his shitty Forearm strikes it's about as convincing as me winning a beauty contest. There needs to be some impact present, not knockout impact, but some impact so that I don't immediately think, "Well, that guy is a really shitty play actor."

I'd also contest the whole Tanahashi being a great wrestling strategist, or him being great at anything really. I've actively disliked the guy since the moment I first watched him wrestle and find him to be an actively terrible professional wrestler. But, those are points for another topic.

#23 Coffey

Coffey
  • Members
  • 3936 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

I have so many pet peeves & irks, there's too many to list.

One of my big ones right now is the use of people telling other wrestling fans that they should "stop watching" if the product sucks. That they're tired of the complaining, don't wanna read about it, etc. That one really pisses me off. "All you do is complain. If it's that bad, why don't you just stop watching? If I was watching Seinfeld & it sucked, I wouldn't watch it anymore."

Buzzwords in WWE are at an all-time high & I dislike most of them. It makes everything sound so unnatural when people are talking. It's not wrestling, it's sports entertainment. They're not fans, they're a part of the WWE Universe. Those aren't women, they are Divas! Those aren't wrestlers, they're superstars! That's not a belt, or a title, it's a championship!

I loathe how WWE is all about social media, WWE Network, the WWE App & WWE.com on one hand then turn around and call all internet fans basement dwellers living in their moms basement whining on Twitter. All those "fireflies" holding up their cell phones during Bray Wyatt's entrance? Yeah, all those phones have internet. Spoilers.

I hate Dave Meltzer. He's a terrible public speaker, ya know & a bad writer, ya know.. that has a podcast, ya know and a newsletter, ya know. That's like someone that can't cook, ya know, being a chef, ya know.

Jim Cornette using his soapbox to talk about non-pro-wrestling things such as politics or religion.

#24 Mr. Lacelle

Mr. Lacelle
  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:10 PM

Referees not enforcing count outs. This drives me bonkers when I attend a live event. I always tell the officials to count. It's up to the workers to be smart & not stay outside so long that they make the refs look impotent.

#25 Indikator

Indikator
  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

I hate 'hate watching' wrestling with so many people actively wasting their own time basically to say just bad what they just watched was.  Maybe I'm just busy or something, but I can't see making time to watch something I'm determined to not like.  People who pay to go to shows to deliberately not enjoy themselves are even worse.  How much disposable income do these people have? 

While I understand the point I think that wrestling has always been one way for the common fan to vent in whatever manner he or she wants to. Remember, wrestling is the (faux-)sport that established heels, there is a need to hate somebody! I've read enough from the 50s about female fans who made up half the audience just to see bodybuilders in a proto-chippendale act. And whenever I read about the other half of fans from back then they mention that they are the most normal, polite people who have to be nice all week long and "enjoy" a wrestling show by ranting and raving like a lunatic.

So it comes to the question - do those modern people really waste their time? What if it's part of their weekly routine and helps them to place their anger? It's likely impossible to determine if hate watching anything is a detriment to another person's life. You can suggest the person to skip the show in question for 1-2 weeks, but don't be pissed if they resume their routine.

#26 Goodear

Goodear
  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

Its one thing to boo the product because you don't like that Ric Flair is a cheating bastard or because Hulk Hogan is a hypocritical douche.  I'll even support being upset because your guy didn't win because you wanted that release from the storyline presented.  I think its another thing entirely to go to a show to boo Roman Reigns because he's not Daniel Bryan and you don't like his push.  For example, going to a Royal Rumble and booing Rey Mysterio when Daniel Bryan isn't entered in the thing is weird when he's not promoted to even be in the match.  Or going in knowing the main event and being upset it doesn't change on the fly.  There is a sense of entitlement to some wrestling fans that just doesn't get that shows aren't made for them personally. 

#27 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3853 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

I tend to agree that Tanhashi is better than a lot of the backlash suggests, and has pretty good match structure if you remove certain aspects.  But that's a discussion that seems like it belongs in another topic. 

#28 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18958 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, that's another topic. My pet peeve is when people try to argue that shitty booking is actually good booking. 

#29 Goodear

Goodear
  • Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

So you hate Johnny Sorrow?  But you always introduce him as your buddy!

#30 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18958 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

I don't hate Johnny Sorrow at all. I hate his opinions. 

#31 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10989 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

To me it's more or less falling into two camps when it comes to "hate watching". There's a group who clearly doesn't enjoy the product but at least is fair in their criticism and gives credit when it's due if they enjoy a match or segment. The other group just takes a giant hate dump on everything and anyone who points out anything good is an idiot or worse an "apologist".

There's also an odd corollary to this, the people who refuse to watch certain groups. TNA has actually been good most weeks since going to Destination America, yet there's people who will refuse to watch it even for a second because...reasons, I guess. People acting like a TV show getting less viewers due to a  change in networks means the wrestling quality isn't worth watching.

Speaking of ratings, another pet peeve is fans acting like ratings/ppv buys/network subs affect them directly. Unless you own stock or are directly related to the McMahons it doesn't make a bit of difference. 

#32 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

I am so fucking tired of the constant need to say a person's nickname before saying their name in current WWE. "The Lunatic Fringe" Dean Ambrose. "The Architect" Seth Rollins. "The Devils Favorite Demon" Kane. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Almost all of the nicknames suck, it's so repetitive, but I guess it all goes back to the buzz words and social media and shitty announcer problems that are making the show unwatchable.

#33 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

The amount of downtime by wrestlers when they aren't on camera during a multi-man match.

It could be, say a 6 pack challenge, and a guy does a dive onto three guys in the entrance way, we're led to believe they've all been rendered unconscious, or biding their time as the other two guys run a five minute sequence in the ring?

It's one thing to over sell injuries on the outside, but it gets towards suspension of disbelief territory when someone sells it like death, then 5 minutes later they get back in the match at the designated time to do so like they hadn't been "broken in damn half" or something.

I think this way of booking hurts a lot of the latter Elimination Chamber matches, where just because the camera is focusing on two guys in the ring, doesn't mean the others shouldn't be doing something, even if it is clear that its nothing but low impact moves.

#34 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5234 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Social media being mentioned in wrestling promos also drives me insane.

#35 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 3853 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

yeah, every time the WWE puts up some kind of hashtag to discuss a match or whatever it might be my mental response goes something like, "#gofuckyourselfWWE."  Watching anything from lately makes me wish you had video game type options where you could turn off the announcers volume and certain graphics and just watch some good wrestling while listening to crowd reactions.

#36 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Remember when Tout was a thing?

When was the last time THAT has been mentioned on the air?  Ditto WWE.com/Mobile App content?

At least they've haven't overused YouTube and Instagram mentions.

#37 Tenese Sarwieh

Tenese Sarwieh
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

"Grabbing the brass ring" I hate that phrase with a passion. 

#38 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 3467 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

The seeming acceptance of  moves that lack impact. This should lead into a big rant about why I think Hiroshi Tanhashi is a terrible wrestler, but I'm not going to do that. It's just, throw some fucking strikes that look like they actually hurt. Hit a German Suplex where it doesn't look like your gently setting your opponent down on a pillow. The concept is supposed to be that we're watching people compete against one another; when every move you execute is light as a feather and looks like it wouldn't hurt a fly you're really just making the business look bad. Yet people seem to accept this crap as being great.

Number one though would be shitty gymnastics that expose the business. Johnny Gargano is one of the worst offenders when it comes to this, and AR Fox is catching up to him. I should never have to watch a sequence where you hold a Wristlock on a guy, walk the ropes, and then proceed to jump back and forth between the middle and top rope for a minute while the idiot in the Wristlock just stares at you. And people cheer for this shit, and think it's exciting. It's embarrassing, and watching it I want to throw up in my mouth at how wretched it is.

You have made this point before about Tanahasi German , but I kept forgetting to respond.

First off the German is Human Capture style with his arms not just waist locking but also locking the arms of his opponent at their side. This is key for two reasons. This suplex is in response to a person breaking free of the Dragon Suplex. This is a key set up move for High Fly Flow. If you are hit with a Dragon Suplex by Tanahashi your prospects of winning go down considerably. Thus it is reasonable for the opponent to struggle hard to break free of the Dragon Suplex. Since Tanahasi is the one of best modern wrestling strategists (DaWho5 would you back me up on that?) he counters with the Human Capture Suplex. Moving onto reason number two, the objective if pro wrestling is to pin a mans shoulders down for three. Knocking him out is just one way. A tight cradle or a bridging Suplex with your arms clasped to their side is also a great way. If you think about the chances of kicking out of Tanahashi Human Capture in reality is damn near impossible. The whole point of the move is not knock someone out, it is to pin him! The problem is he does not win any matches with it. That's a New Japan problem. Tanahashi's human capture Suplex is a brilliant counter that stays true to the spirit of pro wrestling.

My wrestling pet peeve right now is people backlashing against Tanahashi because he is overpraised. Dave Meltzer & Co. can you please chill out so  we don't have such a severe backlash against a great wrestler. Thanks in advance, brutha. :D

The issue isn't him knocking a guy out, it's that he places a guy down like he's setting a glass of soda down on the table. Plenty of guys have used the Dragon Suplex, German Suplex, Straightjacket Suplex, etc. and managed to both hold a pinning position and make the move look like it carries impact. It goes beyond that though, because you have moves like his Moonsault where again, he floats onto the opponent in such a way that there's zero believability of that move causing any damage. I've already covered the strikes, but really when he throws his shitty Forearm strikes it's about as convincing as me winning a beauty contest. There needs to be some impact present, not knockout impact, but some impact so that I don't immediately think, "Well, that guy is a really shitty play actor."

I'd also contest the whole Tanahashi being a great wrestling strategist, or him being great at anything really. I've actively disliked the guy since the moment I first watched him wrestle and find him to be an actively terrible professional wrestler. But, those are points for another topic.

The objective is to pin the man. I have no idea why it matters how forceful the throw is in this situation. Does La Magistral Cradle have to be executed to wrench a person into place? I agree with you 100% that shitty or light strikes are awful and work against the match. I honestly can't think of a Tanahashi moonsault. If you are talking High Fly Flow, I think he hits that with pretty good impact, I love the urgency with which he gets into position for the move and how he doubles it up. What about his somersault from the middle rope, he fucking slams down on the opponent! I happen to not find his forearms as offensive as you do. They are not Misawa's but they connect. The only time I was taken out of a match of his was against Nakanishi and it was his stomps to the knee that clearly were not connecting.

The fact you could immediately evaluate a wrestler on first sight is totally foreign to me, but more power to you, brutha.  I'll post in Tanahashi microscope or GWE thread from now on. 

#39 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 5234 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

Remember when Tout was a thing?

When was the last time THAT has been mentioned on the air?  Ditto WWE.com/Mobile App content?

At least they've haven't overused YouTube and Instagram mentions.

Tout was the worst.

#40 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:07 PM

Mine are:

- Just WWE as a whole. I am so over that promotion and I've watched less wrestling than ever in 2014 and 2015.

- Referring to the internet fans as dorks in 2015. Fine, a bunch are, but can you imagine an NFL fan not going to the internet to talk about a game/team or Game of Thrones fans staying off Twitter? It's just so out of touch. It's also the same company that tries to force people to go on twitter and stuff a million times during their shows.

- Everyone falsely remembering Daniel Bryan's WM 30 as this planned out amazing and long time angle coming to an end. DB got abused for weeks on end, then they tried to turn him heel with the Wyatts. Then it didn't work, the Royal Rumble happened, Punk left and people booed Batista. The storyline also marked the beginning of the Authority being on TV forever IIRC.  In 2015, we've also seen that nothing has really changed and DB is still being misused and wasted.

- Anyone calling WM31 the greatest show ever or one of the best shows ever. No.

- ROH's love of small, uncharismatic workers with no personality. I'd rather see two big lugs pound each other than see the flipz

- Now it's irrelevant, but ending Taker's streak. Brock didn't need to beat the streak to be a monster, but booking him to lose against HHH and Cena didn't make him look like a monster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users