Pro Wrestling Only

Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

JaymeFuture

Still having a program named 'Raw' when WWE is at its most overproduced

Jerry Lawler doing that choking sound on commentary when someone is grabbed by the throat.

JBL shitting all over the product on commentary

Over reliance and deference to part timers/attitude era stars over current stars, also WWE going out of their way to devalue current wrestlers

chris jerichos podcast before the interview section

Losing streaks after winning a title

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sheer stupidity of a seven-man ladder match and numerous PWOers more or less chanting "this is awesome" at it.

Multiman ladder matches are a well established trope of modern WWE and at least leads to fun spotfests, even though it's under utilising a marketable gimmick match. As tropes go, I don't see how it's anymore stupid than the played out gimmick of the Money In The Bank briefcase cash-in, which has led to a succession of champions (including babyfaces) that win World titles in cheap fashion and rarely helps to get people over.

I'll just lift this from the 'Austin and WWE' thread and say general pettiness in wrestling -

'This is the impression I get. I feel like passive aggression from WWE is pretty likely here, but Austin is too generally content and busy to keep up with the gamesmanship. They need him more than he needs them at this point.

Edit: And I don't think anything bugs the WWE more than individuals who can be bigger than the company'

WWE's spastic sense of when to cut to another camera. If you ever sit and try to count the number of camera cuts in a single 10 minute plus WWE match, I can almost assure you you'll lose count at some point. They allow absolutely nothing to breath.

Wrestlers consistently lining up signature moves or finishes to cater to the hard camera is also annoying, but I can hardly blame them when they're otherwise at the mercy of the million and one camera cuts.

lots of good ones here. one modern trope i haven't seen mentioned: always having to do your video-game taunt before your finisher, even if that involves an injured limb

we don't have many examples for older wrestling, so let me take a shot there...

- nobody doing clean jobs in the 80s, even midcard gatekeepers (hacksaw & bad news, i'm lookin at you!)

- blatantly racist gimmicks getting onto national TV. though we do have cryme tyme & the mexicools from a more recent period...

- bad jim ross commentary. awfully similar to modern WWE between the forced cliches and burying the product

- the general culture of ECW. the product itself delivered some cool shit but the fans, the presentation after the first couple years or so...bah

- All shows in the history of pro wrestling not being recorded

- All shows in the history of pro wrestling that were recorded not being made available by the people who own the footage

- Vince McMahon's sophomoric humor, outdated ideas of race, masculinity and body image and micromanagement of WWE television that keep the company from growing

- Fans who talk about wrestling without the pretense that it's real while still caring about size because of credibility

- Double, triple and quadruple standards

"It's just wrestling"

As in -

"Why do you care so much? It's just wrestling."

I see shit like that on the internet all the time, mostly from people WHO CLAIM TO BE WRESTLING FANS. I don't see people saying stuff like "why do you care so much? It's just a movie". Or just a TV show, or just a book, or just a whatever. But because it's been engrained in the head so many people, including those who actually enjoy it, that wrestling is some form of "lesser entertainment", people don't think that it warrants the same kind of in-depth analysis, thought, and critique as other forms of entertainment, and they belittle those who do.

I haven't seen it happen here, and nor do I expect to, and I love this place for that, but it's crazy to me that there's this weird backlash against trying to interject any kind of deep thought into websites and forums that are supposed to be about wrestling.

So basically, fuck wreddit and their bullshit gifs and memes. This place is so, so much better.

- Fans who talk about wrestling without the pretense that it's real while still caring about size because of credibility

thank you

i've wanted to say something about this for a while but wasn't sure how to say it. i think some of the backlash against guys like HBK & tanahashi comes off as a more refined way of calling them twinks. i guess their weak offense gets people to focus more on their look, maybe?

I guess to counter that, a pet peeve of mine is when a significantly smaller guy goes over a significantly larger one without good psychology to it or a good reason. To take it to an extreme, I think even in this day and age, Big Show shouldn't likely be jobbing to Neville unless the story of the match unfolds so that there's maybe a roll up/flash pin, or a good job at chipping away at Show until you break him down.

I also hate strength spots that don't even look good. Elgin's fall away slam while someone is on his shoulders that he works into every match he can comes to mind.

I think that's one of the reasons why Rey is so highly regarded. He is a tiny dude compared to most WWE guys but he always seemed believable beating big guys when it happened. I think it does take a certain amount of presence and know-how for the smaller guys like Rey or Bryan to do what they do and have the overwhelming support they get. Where you take a guy like Ziggler and put him in that spot and it just wouldn't work because he wouldn't make you believe what he was doing as much.

These are easy:

Referee counting down wrong guy in tag matches and mixing up who is the legal man.

Backstage camera that the wrestlers don't know is there.

Any breaking of the internal rules that the wrestling company has put into place. (i.e. normally there is count outs, but not in this match for some unknown reasons, but only in this situation as we will count later).

Those are the biggies.

I just got back into wrestling again a bit before WM30 and the thing i can't stand is the whole "Money in the bank " gimmick. I'm a mark of the '83-'93 era and couldn't imagine that happening in a main event. Is there something I'm missing? Anyway I thought WM31 was good and hope personalities start to shine.

I just got back into wrestling again a bit before WM30 and the thing i can't stand is the whole "Money in the bank " gimmick. I'm a mark of the '83-'93 era and couldn't imagine that happening in a main event. Is there something I'm missing? Anyway I thought WM31 was good and hope personalities start to shine.

No you're not missing anything. It was a unique and interesting concept but after the first 2-3 Cash Ins it's been really played out. It got really bad there for a while when there was a MITB match for each brand.

There are few things in wrestling I hate more than that moment in a long match where the wrestlers run out of steam/ideas and it falls apart. Like the last 10 minutes of your average Broadway.

I hate this and the opposite of it. That's when the guys work an uncharacteristically slow match and you know they're just stretching it out to go long.