Pro Wrestling Only

Your Wrestling Pet Peeves/Utter Hatreds

JaymeFuture

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The spear. Stop doing it. Everyone. It was cool when Goldy was doing it 17 years ago. I was 22 years old. I'm 39. This spot had sucked since. From Edge to all the others, you all basically suck at it. Especially when you're rolling out of it. Stop doing the spear. It's awful.

Old hat, but the WWE characters of HHH and Stephanie McMahon - I have zero desire to see either ever again in any worked capacity, and I think it highly unlikely to return to watching current WWE till they're done as on-screen characters once and for all.

That said, I'm well aware that death or bankruptcy/new-ownership will be the only ways for this to happen, at least within the next 20 years or so...

Old hat or not, I agree that as much as HHH and Stephanie can deliver great performances, the application of the characters, reliance of a gimmick from 17 years ago and inconsistency in the execution is such an anchor for the guys trying to get over as top stars today, because their role is the only constant on top and people know they're the true stars, just through positioning.

Right now, I'd have to say my biggest pet peeve/utter hatred is watching the way Dixie Carter is flushing TNA down the toilet. When Panda Energy got involved with TNA, they had a decent roster and most of the pieces in place to take a legit run at being the #2 wrestling promotion in North America. Through a steady series of idiotic decisions, she has systematically screwed that up to the point where now they can't even pay their talent. It's maddening to watch somebody take something that had potential and destroy it through utter incompetence. TNA never was a real alternative to WWE, but there was no reason they couldn't have been, if not for gross mismanagement.

Right now, I'd have to say my biggest pet peeve/utter hatred is watching the way Dixie Carter is flushing TNA down the toilet. When Panda Energy got involved with TNA, they had a decent roster and most of the pieces in place to take a legit run at being the #2 wrestling promotion in North America. Through a steady series of idiotic decisions, she has systematically screwed that up to the point where now they can't even pay their talent. It's maddening to watch somebody take something that had potential and destroy it through utter incompetence. TNA never was a real alternative to WWE, but there was no reason they couldn't have been, if not for gross mismanagement.

When looking at the success of AJ Styles and to a lesser extent Samoa Joe have had on the indie circuit drawing crowds, it certainly says a lot about TNA.

WWWF/WWF stuff from the 60's-90's. Although I did attend events in the 80's and early 90's.

Bret Hart. Can't stand the guy on my TV. He was so damn full of himself and he couldn't hide it. Guy should of never been a face. I think he's a bad promo and highly overrated in the ring. I can understand if you're between the ages of 25-35 liking the guy because of the impressions of childhood. But man I can't stand him. Doesn't help that 90's WWF was awful until 1997. Even though the 90's don't hold up well imo.

WCW. I enjoyed a lot of the stuff from 89 although it's a highly overrated year in pro wrestling history. But man after the Flair/Funk series the company was so FUBAR until the day Time-Warner pulled the cord. I got caught up in the Monday Night stuff like everyone else but will never revisit it because I think it's mostly the shits.

Come to think of it the 90's were the shits outside of some Memphis and Smokey. All-Japan had it's moments but ya have the same ol shit occurring after a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

People who list the number of moves in a match like that has any bearing on the quality. Just had an argument with someone on another board because they said Lesnar/Reigns wasn't even a 'real match" because it "only had 4 moves." Same principle applies when assessing the quality of a wrestler based on how big their "moveset" is.

Spots involving announce tables, pointing at Wrestlemania signs, doing some type of extended trademark gesture before hitting a signature spot EVERY SINGLE TIME, dueling promos that don't sound like real people arguing, ring entrances that are too choreographed, babyfaces who act like entitled assholes, the way Michael Cole says the letter "W" and a lack of continuity in storylines. That about covers it for now.

The "staring longingly at/pointing to" the WrestleMania sign has gotten WAY over the top. I feel like in a few years the only thing that's going to happen on the go home show to Mania is the entire roster just standing in the ring staring at the Mania sign as JBL & Cole tell us how important this moment is.

Funny that a lot of people have issues with the way Mania is presented. As an additional pet peeve of mine I do think the road to Mania has become very formulaic in recent years - not just the pointing and the commentary, but there's element of just throwing top matches together with no real build or dynamic stuff to set them up. Rock/Cena Part 2, Lesnar/Taker and even Brock/Reigns to a degree certainly fit in this category.

When guys look like they're breaking up their own pins. It usually happens during a rollup or an Eddie/Dean-esqe sequence of pinning combinations, when they're so into the rhythm of their routine that they pop up for the next spot before they finish the current one. I don't mind the sequence itself, I just hate it when they make it look like a dance instead of looking like they're trying to actually pin the guy.

-Anything JBL does. It's not just that he's not a good announcer, he takes away so much from the product. Can't stand him at all.

-Referees randomly enforcing this "legal man" crap. It's 2015, let guys have some fun. I would like to see "lucha rules" in all tag matches. In ROH, especially, nothing kills a tag match like a great series of offense and then suddenly the referee kicks a guy out of the ring for not being the legal man. It's dumb. Either enforce it 100% of the time or none of the time and I'd much rather have it be none of the time.

-Probably another really unpopular opinion on here, but there's some Dragon Gate-hating that I feel is unfair. It's not 2003. CIMA is basically an old man. These guys aren't going balls-to-the-walls all the time. I'm not saying they have the most sound psychology, but ffs, not everything in that company is just MOVEZ~!

-Vince Russo living in 1998.

-The TNA "lunatic fringe community"

-Referees randomly enforcing this "legal man" crap. It's 2015, let guys have some fun. I would like to see "lucha rules" in all tag matches. In ROH, especially, nothing kills a tag match like a great series of offense and then suddenly the referee kicks a guy out of the ring for not being the legal man. It's dumb. Either enforce it 100% of the time or none of the time and I'd much rather have it be none of the time.

Nothing makes me hate a tag match more than not enforcing the tag rules. What is the point of EVER being on the apron if the ref isn't going enforce the rules?

-Probably another really unpopular opinion on here, but there's some Dragon Gate-hating that I feel is unfair. It's not 2003. CIMA is basically an old man. These guys aren't going balls-to-the-walls all the time. I'm not saying they have the most sound psychology, but ffs, not everything in that company is just MOVEZ~!

I think that there are a lot of talented guys in DG, but absolutely nothing in wrestling makes me recoil in horror more than their 25+ minute title matches. Far too glaring of an example of "less is more".

Anyone else notice the new(ish) trend on non-finish pins where they lay their back across the guy's chest and hook the near leg? Once you see it, there's no un-noticing it and it telegraphs every pin that isn't the actual finish.

It's not 100% his fault since I'm sure it's what's being yelled into his ears, but Michael Cole's constant use of "well" as an audible comma gets annoying.

"John Cena has a title match at the next PPV, and well, it could be his last shot!"

It's like he has no other way to link two thoughts together.

The use of the term "character work", that has seemingly spread like crazy lately.

The idea that legit headbutts = good work.

I'm with El-P on the headbutt thing but his dislike of "character work" is one of my pet peeves today.

I get this, actually. The term doesn't bother me, but matches that are like this definitely do. The Cena-Bray Wyatt WM30 and HHH-Undertaker WM28 matches come to mind as the most glaring examples. Too much acting and bad attempts at Shakespeare, not enough wrestling (and I don't mean "action" by "wrestling" necessarily).