Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Week of April 13 - 19

Jmare007

RAW spoilers from London

Bad News Barrett vs. WWE United States Champion John Cena kicks off RAW. Cena won a great match that went just over 10 minutes. Rusev attacked Cena after the match and lays him out with a chain. Their match at Extreme Rules will now be a Russian Chain Match.

* We get replays from last week's RAW.

* Cesaro vs. Randy Orton and Dolph Ziggler vs. Seth Rollins are announced for tonight.

* Paige wins a quick Divas Battle Royal to become the new #1 contender for Nikki Bella. Paige cut a promo after the match but Naomi turned on her and laid her out. Brie Bella was on commentary and was not in the match.

* Bray Wyatt comes out for another cryptic promo in the ring. He got a big ovation.

* The Lucha Dragons got a big pop and defeated The Ascension in a quick match.

* Roman Reigns comes out to a nice pop and is interviewed in the ring by Booker T. Reigns was met with Suplex City chants and then interrupted by Big Show, who chokeslammed him on top of one of the taxis on the stage. Reigns was stretchered to the back.

* Randy Orton vs. Cesaro is next. Orton came out to a huge pop. Tyson Kidd and Natalya are at ringside. Orton wins by DQ in around 2 minutes when Kidd interferes. Kane comes out and re-starts the match.

* Orton vs. Cesaro and Kidd in a handicap match starts. If Orton loses, he's no longer #1 contender but if he wins, he gets to pick the stipulation for Extreme Rules against Rollins. Orton wins with a huge RKO out of nowhere on Kidd.

* Adam Rose vs. Dean Ambrose is next. Ambrose wins a quick match with Dirty Deeds.

* Backstage segment with Kane and Big Show. Rollins doesn't want to face Ziggler so it's now Kane vs. Rollins.

* Stardust vs. Fandango is next. Stardust won another quick match but Fandango dances to his old theme song and fans danced along with him for a huge pop, the biggest of the night so far.

* Seth Rollins vs. Kane is next. Kane delivered a chokeslam but laid down for Rollins to get the win.

* Damien Sandow defeated The Miz with a roll up.

* A Prime Time Players video package airs.

* Ryback defeats Luke Harper by disqualification. Dean Ambrose chased Harper off through the crowd.

* Dolph Ziggler defeated Neville in a must see match. Sheamus attacked and laid Ziggler out after the match.

* The main event segment is Rollins and Orton choosing their stipulations for Extreme Rules. Rollins is in the ring sitting in a La-Z-Boy recliner. Orton picks his stipulation - a cage match. Rollins picks his stipulation - the RKO is banned. Orton reacts and attacks Rollins but Mercury and Noble help him escape as RAW ends.

Did DB get injured or something?

A couple of interesting matches but I think I'll skip this one.

I fucking knew it. Kane is going to be the placeholder contender for Rollins over the summer. Now we can have Stephanie screaming at Kane for months while Rollins cowers in his presence. And nice to see them treat their champion as a total jobber. And no Bryan in front of the live crowd for second straight week. Of course Rollins/Orton is in a cage so Orton doesn't have to be pinned to lose. What a bunch of dumb fucks

• Intentionally didn't watch the first 30 mins to avoid the inevitable long boring promo. Instead it's a good Barrett-Cena match. RAW's unpredictable right now.
  • Don't get Naomi as a heel. Not sure I get her as a face either, but this makes even less sense.
  • That was a surprisingly fun Dragons-Ascension squash.
  • I'm grading on a curve, but that was good mic work from Reigns. Said the right things to distinguish himself from Cena. A babyface whose gimmick is that he wants to kick ass and win titles. Cool.

They might have even had a hot main event between Orton/Rollins if they hadn't killed that issue so thoroughly by botching Orton's return. It flew under everyone's outrage meter because it's Orton but the booking they gave him on his return was atrocious.

Best RAW in ages. Almost all matches, a lot of them good (if too short, to get everyone on the card). I liked this more than any week I recall leading into Mania. Lots of new storylines and guys in the mix, if only for one night. Naomi proved me wrong, cutting a solid heel promo backstage. They book crowd-pleasing shows in the UK. Even if the spoilers don't sound compelling, and the final segment was flat, this was entertaining throughout. Even Kane did well in a tough spot.

I think they are going to make DB a Smackdown exclusive from here on out.

The more I think about it, the more I think they have decided to settle Bryan into Rey Misterio's spot. His current "guy who gets time to have a long match every week on SD" deal really put it into perspective for me.

He's a guy who they can use to sell some merchandise, always stay over, headline some house shows on his own but never really run with him and always keep him in a botom of the top/top of the bottom role.

I think they are going to make DB a Smackdown exclusive from here on out.

The more I think about it, the more I think they have decided to settle Bryan into Rey Misterio's spot. His current "guy who gets time to have a long match every week on SD" deal really put it into perspective for me.

He's a guy who they can use to sell some merchandise, always stay over, headline some house shows on his own but never really run with him and always keep him in a botom of the top/top of the bottom role.

Meltzer, I believe, has been reporting that Bryan is being protected because he's not holding up well body wise. Which, if true, is not a good sign and unless he changes his style Bryan will not be long for this company methinks.

Sticking these here.

Cena vs Rusev - Newcastle 4/9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LQYsYXglpY

Cena vs Rusev - Birmingham 4/11

Harper vs Ambrose - Newcastle 4/9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFX8D1pBIs&feature=youtu.be

Harper vs Ambrose - Birmingham 4/11

Someone take the time to watch these (I don't this week) and let us know how they hold up to the televised matches.

Gold vs Star and Rollins vs Orton are out there too, btw.

Meltzer, I believe, has been reporting that Bryan is being protected because he's not holding up well body wise. Which, if true, is not a good sign and unless he changes his style Bryan will not be long for this company methinks.

I always assumed this was at the heart of their reluctance to put him back on top, not a concerted effort to piss off or retrain their fans. The Rumble booking was still avoidable nonsense, of course.

If the stuff about Bryan hurting is true.....well.....that really sucks, but, it's also totally predictable. If you listen to him on the Jericho podcast.....and how much he was hurting and hid it until he couldn't.....and how he was thinking about ways to wrestle with one arm.......

and then they bring the dude back from this serious injury and put him in a ladder match?

I remember back when the neck/arm stuff was going on Bryan did an interview and said he was going to come back with a mat based chain grounded chain wrestling style, but nope, he comes back and is still doing the same high spots that led to his injury

I love D-Bry, but he's his own worst enemy. I don't want to see him end up as another tragedy. The high spots and shit are cool, but he's better than that, he doesn't need that, and it actually lowers my opinion of him as a wrestler greatly

less is more

NXT was a miss this week with a subpar main event with Sami Zayn and Rhyno going too long to be effective (probably Sami's worse outing in months and months). Dana Brooke debuted and looked green. Solomon Crowe got outworked by CJ Parker of all people and looks like hot garbage with no future.

Main Event was solid but not spectacular. Bo Dallas going over Zach Ryder in a five minute match was an efficient use of time that didn't wear out its welcome. Emma continued her run of 'okay' matches with Layla that was brought down by commentary. Xavier Woods wasn't absolutely awful working heel against an Uso. Main event of Rusev-Ziggler wasn't very notable outside of an effective transition to the finish. I would catch the opener and jump to the last 3 minutes of the main event if you want to maximize your time.

NXT was a miss this week with a subpar main event with Sami Zayn and Rhyno going too long to be effective (probably Sami's worse outing in months and months). Dana Brooke debuted and looked green. Solomon Crowe got outworked by CJ Parker of all people and looks like hot garbage with no future.

I think Crowe looked fine but it was a strange match to showcase him. Parker is a guy who was never treated seriously but got some good offense on Crowe and, yeah, Crowe didn't look as good as you'd like someone to look in a debut showcase. I'm guessing the match was booked and taped before Parker got released but Crowe probably needs a strong push on TV to come out of it looking strong.