Photo

Is Daniel Bryan Nearing The End Of The Road?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 jcmmnx

jcmmnx
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

So they let Bryan work matches knowing he had a concussion? They make Punk look better all the time.

#22 cm funk

cm funk
  • Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

If it IS the nerve issue then there really isn't anything WWE could or should have done differently. I know in the rush to somehow bash WWE for this a lot of people are saying they rushed his return, but Bryan himself said that when he went to WWE and said he was ready to come back they put him through a whole litany of tests before clearing him.

We don't know what's causing the nerve problem so you can't just assume "oh well he should have had the spinal fusion like Austin/Edge" because there's no telling. Carson Palmer spent a large portion of large season lingering between "he could play next week if the nerve wakes up/he might never play again because we don't know if the nerve will wake up" and I guarantee he had better medical attention and saw more doctors than Daniel Bryan.

The doctor in Denver who "fixed" him was one of Carson Palmer's doctors, recommended to him by one of the doctors he was seeing in AZ.  Bryan went to a half dozen different doctors and got 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions trying to avoid life/career altering invasive surgery

#23 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:34 AM

So they let Bryan work matches knowing he had a concussion? They make Punk look better all the time.

Would think he was cleared and then symptoms returned.

#24 Smack2k

Smack2k
  • Members
  • 1049 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

This helps their case of not wanting to push him as the main guy

This right here is all that matters......they clearly didnt want him as the guy for 2 years now.....now they have reasons (even just a concussion this time), they have their ammo....

Shame...concusssions are no jokes either...has he had many? 

#25 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

This helps their case of not wanting to push him as the main guy

This right here is all that matters......they clearly didnt want him as the guy for 2 years now.....now they have reasons (even just a concussion this time), they have their ammo....

Shame...concusssions are no jokes either...has he had many?
Would guess he has had a ton of them. Especially from his ROH days. If anyone is a slam dunk to have CTE, Daniel Bryan would be at or near the top of the list.

#26 Matt Farmer

Matt Farmer
  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Twitter: @mattfarmer93

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

Not sure how or why WWE authorized the head butt spot at Mania. Even working it you could still see the mark left on Bryan's forehead. Not a wise move by either party.

#27 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

I don't understand why guys do spots like that anyway. The more times you do the same strike in a row the less impact it has, whether it be chop, forearm, headbutt, whatever.

#28 dawho5

dawho5
  • Members
  • 2781 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

The Bryan spot that got me was him taking the Sister Abigail off the barricade at RR 2013.  That was way too much impact for that unsafe of a spot.  I'm all for guys making things look good but there has to be a line.

#29 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

Well according to Punk being cleared by a WWE doctor pretty much meant you made it to the building under your own power. There doesn't seem to be much short of hospitalization that would prevent getting cleared. 

Also, and not to come off as another armchair doctor, it doesn't seem like anyone who's gone in for alternate treatment for neck issues ended up coming out ahead. 

#30 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

But the alternate treatment wasn't for neck issues...

#31 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

I don't know if I really buy that he worked safer in the indies just because he didn't necessarily do a dive or a diving headbutt in all of them. Some of the stuff with headbutts that he and Nigel did were REALLY stupid. I am pretty sure he said he lost count of how many concussions he had on the indies.

I wasn't aware that he had suffered countless concussions in ROH. Seems like I've heard Sapolsky dodge the question when asked about guys working hurt, so if that was a recurring issue, that obviously sucks. My point was that Bryan's smart/talented enough to work much safer matches than he currently does. Cooler offense that would better protect his head and neck. Even from a viewer entertainment perspective, it's stuff I like more than top rope headbutts and headdrop powerbombs. He's not like a Ziggler type with a broken motor who can only work at one 100MPH speed.

#32 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6253 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

Well according to Punk being cleared by a WWE doctor pretty much meant you made it to the building under your own power. There doesn't seem to be much short of hospitalization that would prevent getting cleared. 

Also, and not to come off as another armchair doctor, it doesn't seem like anyone who's gone in for alternate treatment for neck issues ended up coming out ahead. 

The "Muscle Activation Techniques" treatment was for the elbow problem. The neck problem was handled via surgery.

#33 cm funk

cm funk
  • Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:54 PM

Well, on RAW tonight they had 'breaking news' that Bryan vs. Barrett is still scheduled but may not happen due to Bryan's health, and Bryan wasn't on the show at all

welp

#34 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:43 AM

When Bryan was working APW some 13 years ago he told me that he thought he had suffered 8 or 9 concussions. This was in 2002. 

#35 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

He also had a concussion last year in that angle where he broke away from Bray Wyatt. If he's the modern Mick Foley, which Bix said and I agree with, how long until Seth Rollins retires him?

#36 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

Actually, wasn't his match against Wyatt in the same "will happen if DB is healthy" status like the one against Barret for Sunday?

#37 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:46 PM

It was.

#38 Wade Garrett

Wade Garrett
  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinkin Coors, Shootin Jack, and Good Ol' Fashion RASSLIN

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Bryan just needs to adjust his style. He needs to transform himself into a pissed off brawler with a big time chip on his shoulder for being passed over. He needs to FIGHT his way back to the top. Punches and Kicks. Turn Memphis. It would fit his appearance better too. He needs a blood feud for this transformation.

#39 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:58 PM

When Bryan was working APW some 13 years ago he told me that he thought he had suffered 8 or 9 concussions. This was in 2002. 

I remember reading the WON around late '99 early '00 when Bryan first started out and Dave mentioned something like this, but labeled it as 'bragging' and 'stupid'

#40 Russellmania

Russellmania
  • Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:02 PM

Bryan just needs to adjust his style. He needs to transform himself into a pissed off brawler with a big time chip on his shoulder for being passed over. He needs to FIGHT his way back to the top. Punches and Kicks. Turn Memphis. It would fit his appearance better too. He needs a blood feud for this transformation.

there is basically zero opportunity for that sort of thing in WWE, though.  When a guy rolls that way (ala Ambrose) they turn it into his whole gimmick and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that because of Ambrose they don't see room for another guy with the same "gimmick".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users