Pro Wrestling Only

Is Daniel Bryan Nearing The End Of The Road?

Fantastic

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard two Bryan interviews promoting his book. In the first he was asked about his health and he said he was feeling great and just trying to get cleared. The second one was on the Cheap Heat podcast (Grantland) were he went more in detail about it.

He's been 100% cleared with no limitations by a doctor in Phoenix he called "the Superbowl neurologist" - I guess he was trying to say he was the best out there. Not sure it's the same guy he got Muscle Activation Therapy for his arm issue - but the WWE doctor is hesitant to clear him . He basically said the company was of the opinion of him not wrestling any more and there's a lot of "complicated stuff" for him to get back in the ring. He did admit it was good that the company was looking out for him (they are also looking after themselves but that's another story) but he didn't agree with what they thought was best for him.

Not sure if it will lead to a Kurt Angle situation - minus the "crazy" part - but it seemed to me that if he can't wrestle for WWE anymore he'll just do it somewhere else.

He also confirms once again he got the Wrestlemania Main Event thanks to Punk leaving.

Link to the interview: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=13303418

edit: Now that I think about it, he might just end up in a Rey Mysterio situation.

while I'm sure he wouldn't do it long-term because he has put down roots in Arizona with Brie, I'd love to see him have a little run in New Japan. Imagine him working the G1 next year or something or even just a one-off at WK10.

I can definitely think of worse things than Bryan working a light indy/Japan schedule if WWE were to cut him loose. He doesn't strike me as the Kurt Angle type who would spend the rest of his career killing himself in a shitty promotion like TNA and I can't imagine anyone but WWE could afford to pay him full-time anyway.

No way does WWE want ROH getting their hands on him. They would probably pay him not to work.

I guess it depends on when his deal expires. I don't see WWE paying him not to work for 2-3 years. At some point they'll probably strike a deal with him if he really wants out because he "needs" to wrestle to express all the ideas he has about wrestling. It was kinda crazy hear him tell the story about gardening his plants and coming up with a bunch of ideas he desperately wants to do in a ring.

I think it's more likely they just cave in and let him wrestle in 6-7 more months if he's still "cleared with no limitations" and feeling good.

I kind of hope he stays retired at this point. He has all the signs of being a less-crazy Kurt Angle who will never stop wrestling unless the company paying him forbids it. After seeing him come back from the last injury and not change his style one bit, I don't have any desire to see him be the next Misawa situation.

Hay guyz I heard WWE won't let Daniel Bryan wrestle because THEY HATE HIM and GOTTA MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG, is this true!?!?!

There are some truly awful wrestling message boards out there. What kind of fucking drugs do you have to take to think that WWE has taken him out of the ring solely out of spite? I smoke a lot of weed myself so it's gotta be something stronger than that. Lots of people being willfully ignorant to the fact that Bryan has had probably over 50 concussions in his career AND that he's a liability on that front not just because of how susceptible he is to getting more, but the fact that he's gone on record to say that he tries to hide it from the company when he gets one.

Bryan is spilling the beans full inteview is up tomorrow

On the specifics of his injuries: “Well it’s actually not a neck issue, my neck is completely fine. It’s more of a concussion issue. And Brie was very hesitant about this whole thing and that’s why WWE is very protective over me too. Everyone is more aware of concussions and that’s why, with WWE, I don’t see what they’re doing, as far as making me go through all these hurdles, I don’t see that as a negative. They’re protecting me and especially in this era of concussion awareness. Brie at first was like, “Hmm, I’m not sure, given your history.” But when we met with the neurologist in Phoenix and we went through all the testing and he said: “Ok, all of my testing is not just coming back good, it’s coming back excellent.” As far as my brain right now, it’s at a level above most people who have never had a concussion my age. When you are looking at scores of like: Bad, poor, fair, good, great, excellent — it’s at those great-excellent levels."

This is going to be interesting to see when/if they clear Bryan. I've heard he has 3 years left on his deal and that's a long ass time right in the prime of his career to sit. I wonder what the difference in a guy like Ziggler getting cleared, and Christian and Graves not being cleared is.

Hay guyz I heard WWE won't let Daniel Bryan wrestle because THEY HATE HIM and GOTTA MAKE ROMAN LOOK STRONG, is this true!?!?!

There are some truly awful wrestling message boards out there. What kind of fucking drugs do you have to take to think that WWE has taken him out of the ring solely out of spite? I smoke a lot of weed myself so it's gotta be something stronger than that. Lots of people being willfully ignorant to the fact that Bryan has had probably over 50 concussions in his career AND that he's a liability on that front not just because of how susceptible he is to getting more, but the fact that he's gone on record to say that he tries to hide it from the company when he gets one.

That's how modern fandom goes in regards to things that have an on going open ended serial narrative. If your favourite character isn't standing tall over everyone else. It's a conspiracy to hold them back.

A vocal portion of fans don't want to see there favourite go through trials and tribulations, which builds character. They just want to see them destroy all.

The fact that WWE is apparently very hesitant to clear him is the most telling thing. The clear message is "we don't care what your doctor says, we're the ones pooping our pants in fear of concussion lawsuits so you're not cleared until we say so".

Hell, they were keeping the very fact it was a concussion a state secret until Bret spilled the beans.

If he ditches the missle dropkick, The Dive to the outside and that Razor Ramon Backdrop off the tope rope the he'll be fine. He didnt you alll thoe 3 moves in every ROH match, so I never understood why he used those 3 moves so often in WWE?

If that whole Dr Ammon/Punk thing wasnt going on then he'd be back in the ring.

I think Bryan knows that if he was to work outside WWE then he'd be making alot more than Styles Overseas and Indies but you know WWE wont let him go even if they know they wouldnt use him as a top guy again

Wasn't part of that the fact he worked six-mans after the injury happened.

He was initially cleared to wrestle, had a few matches, and the symptoms came back.

I could be wrong but my take on it is that they feel he's just reached this point where he's had so many concussions that it's made him so susceptible to more that they don't feel he can wrestle for them and NOT get another one.

Dave explained a while back that a guy like Bryan really can't eliminate stuff and tone down his style, because he has to re-prove himself every single time he has a match in order to justify his spot. If he did, Dave thinks the line would then be that he's not going all out and he'd suffer for it.

Bryan was pretty open doing media today saying he realizes that no matter what he does Vince will never see him as "the guy" Vince likes him well enough to feature him but not as a top babyface. You can tell he's just come to terms with it. Total acceptance. He doubts he will ever headline another mania (if healthy) He's probably right on that one. Vince always wins in the end, doesn't he?

Quite frankly "Daniel Bryan MUST be the top star and the Mania main event!" is a ridiculous attitude. My eyes might just roll out of my head if I keep reading about how he should quit WWE if he can't be THE top guy and main event every WrestleMania card he's on.

I'd rather see Bryan as the ace of NXT, and see if they could start out drawing the main roster house shows. Bryan working a predominately mat based style would go over much better in NXT. Of course with Raw's pathetic ratings that would never happen as Bryan would be needed there if he comes back.

To defend the "Bryan Should Main Event Every WrestleMania!" fans, it was abundantly clear in 2014 and at the start of 2015 that Daniel Bryan was the most universally beloved babyface on the roster. Historically, the top babyface should be wrestling in the main event or at least the second-most promoted match on the card. The rumor going into WM30 was that he'd be feuding with Sheamus, who has never and probably will never be as over as Bryan was at the time. Going into WM31, Bryan had no storyline at all - he wrestled in a 6-man ladder match for a meaningless title. I'm not saying there's been a conspiracy to hold Bryan back, but I do think there have been some unfortunate, unforeseen circumstances that will make his aborted title reign and limited "comeback" a great "What if..." talking point for years to come.

In the end, WrestleMania 31's main event exceeded expectations and Brock Lesnar surpassed Bryan as the most "must see performer" somewhere between ending the Streak and destroying Cena at SummerSlam last year, but to say that Bryan, if he were to return, should be used in NXT while RAW desperately needs stars is like saying Ric Flar should've been used as a trainer at the Power Plant instead of coming back to WCW in 98'.