Photo

Is Daniel Bryan Nearing The End Of The Road?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#141 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

I think they may mess with companies - which is another reason I think it is quite possible he starts his own - but I don't think the WWE nor Bryan's health will stop people from booking him. The wwe will try to tie some companies up in the legal process just by having more resources, but if he shaves and goes by Bryan Danielson their ground is fairly limited on what they can do to stop people. 

I do suspect that they might cut Evolve and Progress off for him though through their relationship with those companies, which would be a real shame.

To be clear, I am not saying I WANT this to happen. Ok, in a way I am selfishly wanting it to happen, but if i had any actual say in this I would 100% defer to his health and happiness. If he never wrestles again I won't complain a bit. I will be perfectly happy. When I think about what I want as a fan it is sort of in a vaccuum, without really thinking of results. That isn't because I don't care about his health (if there is a celebrity that I don't know at personally, but genuinely care about as a person, it is him), it is that I don't have nearly enough information and I don't think it is honestly any of my business what a grown man does with his body and his career. So, when I say "as a fan I would love this" it comes with the understood caveat of "if wrestling is what he wants to do and chooses to do with the information he has". Ultimately the "wrestling harming themselves" vs "enjoyment of the product" conversation is I think far bigger and more complex than this case; this is just the easiest case to filter it through. 

I am just saying I believe he will wrestle again and I believe he will do outside the WWE if not inside and I don't believe that health concerns will stop wrestling promoters from booking him and watching money roll in.  What I think will happen, what I as a fan would love to see, and what I think SHOULD happen given his health are three totally different conversations (three conversations that are getting interwoven here quite a bit).

#142 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

I don't think they'll mess with him so much. I think they'll mess with the company that signs him, much like they did WCW with Hall and Nash. The most recent example of something like this was when TNA did the Extreme Reunion. We'll see, but I just think if they weren't going to play games like that, they would have let him go when he asked them to let him go last year.

I don't even think they'd do that.  He'll be "The American Dragon" Bryan Danielson.  He won't encourage the YES! chants.  He won't use Ride of the Valkyries.  They can't trademark the man's facial hair.  The crowds will YES! and chant "DANIEL BRYAN" anyway.........nobody can control that, and WWE can't sue anyone over how a crowd acts.  I really don't anticipate this being an issue

Also, WWE has never attempted to trademark a wrestler's moveset either.  This is a total non-starter, waste of time for them.  They know it, and because they're on such good terms with Bryan and his wife and brother/sister in law this would never happen.

Ride Of The Valkyries is public domain and chanting Yes seems too generic to trademark. I feel like this would be a case they would lose if Bryan fought it. 

#143 Eduardo

Eduardo
  • Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:22 PM

The "Yes" chant came from Diego Sanchez as well, and Danielson has been very intentional about where it came from. 

#144 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:57 AM

I don't think the goal would be to win so much as it would be to make it really difficult to debut him and stall any plans. This is how WWE operates, like when they accidentally on purpose kept missing parts of the paperwork to grant Flair's full release in 1993, or the attempted and failed barriers they tried to put in place for WCW to use Hall and Nash. The last major star that left and wrestled somewhere else was Kurt Angle, and they fired him, and the circumstances were very different. So you could say this isn't how they are anymore and that's quite possibly true, but then I think about how they were with TNA when they did the Extreme Reunion, threatening lawsuits over crowd chants and use of initials. I would guess that to be on the safe side, Daniel Bryan won't encourage "Yes"-ing and might make some changes to his look, none of which are crucial to his popularity in the first place.

#145 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

This all makes me wonder how NJPW feels about WWE using Bullet Club inspired merch for Finn Balor.

#146 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

This all makes me wonder how NJPW feels about WWE using Bullet Club inspired merch for Finn Balor.

Maybe a can of worms they don't want to open when the Young Bucks do Too Sweet and Suck It gestures

#147 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Maybe a can of worms they don't want to open when the Young Bucks do Too Sweet and Suck It gestures

Can you really trademark that? 

#148 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:39 AM

Can you really trademark that? 

http://www.mtv.com/n...tter-hand-sign/

#149 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

The Too Sweet gesture dates back to North Carolina State using that since their teams are called the Wolfpack prior to anyone who used it in wrestling, so WWE really wouldn't have a claim on that. The Suck It stuff you would think is different since they sold a billion DX Suck It shirts back in the day. 

#150 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1199 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

And the Turkish Deep State, the Grey Wolves. 

(and the Patreon supporters of greatest podcast on earth, Chapo Trap House)

#151 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

It's an old gang sign, isn't it ? Actually, Prichard said Hall got it from Bret Hart who got it from some people in Europe.

#152 Victator

Victator
  • Members
  • 1326 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

The Too Sweet gesture dates back to North Carolina State using that since their teams are called the Wolfpack prior to anyone who used it in wrestling, so WWE really wouldn't have a claim on that. The Suck It stuff you would think is different since they sold a billion DX Suck It shirts back in the day. 

Scott Hall said they used the Wolf Pack name because they knew WCW could not trademark it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users