Pro Wrestling Only

The NBA Playoffs are pro wrestling

goodhelmet

There it is. Bradshaw is a better chickenshit thug comp for Laimbeer than Buddy.

JDW: Kareem had the charisma of a bag of sand. No way he's even close to comparable to Flair. Instead of getting drunk and running around the bar wearing only his wrestling robe like Flair, Kareem converted to Islam and became a cultural ambassador (albeit a crabby one).

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JDW: Kareem had the charisma of a bag of sand. No way he's even close to comparable to Flair. Instead of getting drunk and running around the bar wearing only his wrestling robe like Flair, Kareem converted to Islam and became a cultural ambassador (albeit a crabby one).

You say the Flair Show like it's a good thing. :)

Anyway, Flair has a long history of treating women like shit. Kareem does as well. He also had a long relationship with Pam Grier before she was big. Let's be honest and admit:

Pam Grier > Any Women Flair Had

;)

Wasn't Johnny Ace in charge of the divas at one point or did I make that up? I wanted to throw him out as another Laimbeer possibility.

My Kawhi-Misawa comp is 100% based on Misawa circa 1991. He's not the undisputed ace yet. 6/8/90 would be the equivalent of winning the finals MVP last year. I went with Jun at first with late 90s Akiyama in mind with Timmy as Misawa, Tony as Kenta and Kawada as Manu. Then I got depressed because I love SA and Kawhi and the early 90s MIsawa comp made me happy. If Duncan goes one more year and then Kawhi turns into a real MVP candidate (btw, I can't wait to argue Kawhi as MVP and talk about how the game changed) it will be like taking the triple crown from Hansen as the new undisputed ace.

You're right though, its hard to project with Kawhi because he is so young. I lean towards early 90s Misawa because the Spurs booking (think Front Office stuff/Coaching) has been so great for his career. Its difficult to see the signs of them crumbling provided everything breaks well.

HOWEVER, you could also argue "staleness on top" for so long combined with what could be major roster turnover coming up soon, that the Jun comp works better. We'll have to wait and see. As a long time Spurs fan I'm hoping Timmy as Jumbo and Kawhi as Misawa and Pop as Baba the Booker end up being the best comps. :)

Also, just have to say how disappointed I am that you overlooked my Jumbo/Magic late night tv comedy workers joke. :)

I will continue to ignore all meanspirited jokes at the expense of Saint Magic. ;)

Agree a big with Bruno = Russell, except I like the Londos quality of Russ just retiring with the belt as if no one in the NBA was worthy of him jobbing the title to. :P

There is no Baba: megastar wrestler + megastar promoter. There's not always going to be a match.

Back in the 90s I use to make the analogy that Choshu was the wrestling equiv of West: high end HOF player/wrestler + high end HOF GM/booker. The problem is that West's personality and Choshu's aren't quite the same. You could say that both were intense, but Choshu is charismatic while Jerry wasn't a flamboyant player, though certainly exciting to a degree.

That reminds me of this one:

Vince Russo is Donald Sterling. Obviously.

Russo would need a GM equiv, while Sterling needs an Owner/Promoter equiv.

Sterling is kind of Herb Abrams, but with more longevity.

Russo is probably David Kahn, better known as KAAAAAAHN!1 Totally incompetent, raised to a level he wasn't qualified to handle, ass backwards theories on his sport, and best of all had loads of fanboys who would defend his shitty moves as actually being smart. Remember all those idiot Russo Apologists who would explain why his ratings were really good, how his booking choices were smart, and how everything that went wrong was the fault of someone else? That's Kahn to a T(imberwolves). One dumbass decision after another. You could see at the moment he pissed Love off (Rubio contract vs Love contract) that Love made a decision to leave, and set up his own contract to do just that... while Kahn was thinking he'd worked Love's contract to the team's benefit. Idiot drafted. Idiot trader. There was the running joke of the team having half a dozen point guards, none of who were as good as Kahn thought.

Yep... that's Russo. :)

1 - trademark Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons' latest mailbag had an NBA-Pro Wrestling Comparison I figured I would share:

Q: I believe that Tim Duncan can go on playing at this level for a few more years. But instead of retiring, why not follow the trail that The Undertaker is currently blazing? What if he stayed in shape, but only played a few regular season games per year to stay sharp, then saved himself for 20-25 playoff games (i.e. WrestleMania). Couldn’t he extend his career by another five years by doing this? This is a win/win situation for all!
—Chris F, Port Colborne, ON, Canada

BS: I love everything about this. First, the Undertaker has defied the aging process and extended his prime for reasons that have never really been explained … kind of like Tim Duncan. Second, the Undertaker’s 21-0 WrestleMania streak was wrestling’s equivalent to Duncan being the best big man on Finals winners 15 years apart and/or making All-NBA teams 18 years apart2 and/or averaging 21 and 12 for his first 17 years of playoff games and 16 and 11 in Year 18 of the playoffs. Third, neither of them say much and spend a ton of time looking around with a weird look on their faces. Fourth, Undertaker was the behind-the-scenes leader of WWE’s locker room for years and years and was loved by everyone who worked with him (like Duncan with the Spurs). And fifth, if anyone could successfully pull off the NBA’s version of “Just show up for WrestleMania and we’re good,” wouldn’t it be the Spurs?

OK, so what if Duncan were to retire this summer … and the Spurs use their available cap space to sign, say, LaMarcus Aldridge … and then Duncan “miraculously” un-retires on April 1 and comes back Undertaker-style for three months? And he just keeps doing this until he turns 45? There’s probably some dumb salary-cap rule that rooster-blocks this idea, but screw it — let’s fix the cap. I WANT 25 YEARS OF UNDERTAKER DUNCAN!!!!!

Somebody you can plug into the main event at anytime.

Somebody who coasts at the house shows but performs huge on the big stage.

Never the ace of the company

Content to work the midcard

Has more MOTYCs than regular good-great performances

So Robert Horry is Dustin Rhodes?

Everyone wants to talk about how the NBA needs to redo their conferences and I figured the best way to do it is separate kinda like MLB & NFL did and not go by just East & West

National Conference

Eastern

Boston
Philadelphia
New York
Washington
Miami

Central

Houston
Atlanta
Milwaukee
Detroit
Chicago

Western

Oklahoma City
Golden State
Phoenix
Los Angeles Lakers
Portland

Continental Conference

Eastern

Brooklyn
Toronto
Charlotte
Orlando
Cleveland

Central

Indiana
Dallas
New Orleans
Memphis
San Antonio

Western

Denver
Minnesota
Utah
Los Angeles Clippers
Sacramento

Trying to come up with a good Robert Horry. Arn Anderson? Masa Fuchi?

Horry's big moments were bigger moments than Arn or Fuchi's.

Fuchi is far from Horry. He's the same solid member of a team, doing the dirty work to help make things click while bigger stars get the glory. Until Misawa & Co. left, Fuchi was never pushed up to Conference Final / NBA Final level as a lesser teammate (i.e. main event / semifinal at Budokan or other big show of a series). In contrast, Horry's big moments almost all come in WCF or NBA Finals.

Perhaps Fuchi is closer to Andre Miller. Andre has never been in a Conference Final, let alone a Final. But those who "know" hoops know that Professor Andre Miller, PhD (TM Zach Lowe) has been a unsung player for ages (no All Star games), that he's a tricky/sneak master of certain things on the court, that he's a bit physically limited and unique in his style relative to the "modern game", and that he has a way of make folks look good. A pro's pro.

Arn would be a similar type of guy who doesn't main event much in the Big Cards, but is a respected day to day grinder on some really excellent teams, including some great ones. He's close to Robert Parrish, where Bird was the Flair, and perhaps McHale was the Tully (who could main event against strong faces like Dusty and Maggie). Parrish & Arn could work in main event "teams", and could look really great. But the glory went to others.

Parrish perhaps got more attention: nine all star games, a 2nd Team All-NBA and a 3rd Team All-NBA. But they're both the same "go about your business" guys.

Somebody you can plug into the main event at anytime.

Somebody who coasts at the house shows but performs huge on the big stage.

Never the ace of the company

Content to work the midcard

Has more MOTYCs than regular good-great performances

Maybe point #1 is a bit of a stretch, but that sounds like Killer Khan.

I stand by point one and Killer Khan is a great comparison !!!

Khan is not a bad comp at all. Enough main / semi-main event stuff to work, and in varied promotions.